cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heater ideas

guyg
Explorer
Explorer
I've an E250 I've converted: insulation, fantastic vent, LED's etc., all nice. Where and when I go camping, sometimes a heater would be really nice. I've got a small electric for when I've shore power, it's quite satisfactory. But when boodocking, I'm at a loss. The little Buddy I have generates a lot of moisture, more than I'd like actually. The price of the outside combustion units (Eberspacher and Webasto) seems kinda high, and the complexity of a auxiliary diesel tank seems undesirable. Does anyone have any other solutions?
Guyg
The great Northwest
'03 E250 retired work van, now homemade camper
10 REPLIES 10

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
What I do:

Mainly, heat the occupants and not the space. I use my heated mattress pad, extra heating pads as needed, and one for the cat, on inverter. And lots of blankets. I do my reading, netsurfing, tv watching in bed.

For getting dressed in the morning, I turn on my 300 watt home depot heater for 2 or 3 minutes, also on inverter.

The cold-night places that I boondock tend to be warm in the daytime. For 24 hour cold, i go where there is electricity.

This may change when I pick up my new giant batteries. I could also see running the propane stove a little, when I get my bigger van.

The hydronic heater looks awesome.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

guyg
Explorer
Explorer
The vented cat heater link seems to have gone away.

The hot water heater concept seems really interesting. I'm wondering if I could do it with a smaller hot water source. I'll look into that.

thanks.
Guyg
The great Northwest
'03 E250 retired work van, now homemade camper

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We don't seem to have any moisture but you do have to allow some fresh air for safety.
Jayco-noslide

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Have you considered to install a 6-gallon hot water heater...

You might try this idea for a HYDRONIC HEAT source...

Roy's image

the heat exchanger could be one of these AQUA HOT 100/200 model...

This would use the hot water in a closed loop only requiring minimal heating of the water using propane...

Google Image
You would have to have a way to purge the lines to the exchanger or you would get stagnant water in the a/c season would you not

Using a CAT type propane heater would be a hugh overkill for a small VAN setup...

Roy Ken

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Vented catalytic heater.

http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
Those Olympian Wave catalytic units heat well, but they put out the same amount of moisture as the Mr Buddy since they're also an unvented design.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Our 30 ft. Class C came with a catalytic heater installed by previous owner. Pretty nice and unique. It is attached to the wall just inside the door; about 2 ft. by 2 ft. and 3 in. thick. It's hooked into the propane system. Ingnites by spark and operates with no electric at all. Puts out a lot of heat but of course no fan. Great when dry camping.
Jayco-noslide

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
guyg wrote:
...The price of the outside combustion units (Eberspacher and Webasto) seems kinda high, and the complexity of a auxiliary diesel tank seems undesirable. Does anyone have any other solutions?

Unless you have propane the Eberspacher or Webasto units are your only option for an externally vented sealed combustion heater. But they are available in gasoline fired versions so you don't need a separate diesel tank.

The Ram Promaster and Ford Transit forums have a lot of posts about installing the gas fired Webasto air heaters.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You could get a small inverter-type generator (super quiet) to use to run your electric heater.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered to install a 6-gallon hot water heater...

You might try this idea for a HYDRONIC HEAT source...

Roy's image

the heat exchanger could be one of these AQUA HOT 100/200 model...

This would use the hot water in a closed loop only requiring minimal heating of the water using propane...

Google Image

Using a CAT type propane heater would be a hugh overkill for a small VAN setup...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS