cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got new fur baby and now have to make change in vacation

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. This is just a question for folks that stay near Bradenton fl. We reserved a campground in Cortez for end of July. Last Friday though we picked up a golden mix at the pound. He is 3 and his owners surrendered due to health reasons. He's a great boy. However I checked and he's over weight limit for campground. It's ok. Their rules and I don't mind. We just need to find a new place. Any ideas? We've never been to gulf coast.
16 REPLIES 16

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just looked at their website again and it says 3 dog limit but the dogs need to be under 25lbs. I wish they would make an exception for a 4th dog. We picked up a rescue Chihuahua a couple of years ago. He is a great little guy but it has caused us problems with a lot of parks because of dog limits. He only weights 4lbs.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
sher9570 wrote:
MetalGator wrote:
sher9570 wrote:

Which RV Park in Cortez...we're at Buttonwood so if that's the one I can answer your questions...

Sher

We really wanted to stay there last year for a week during the summer but they only allow 2 dogs (we have 4). One dog I can leave with my mom but I would have to take the other 3 with me.

I hear this a lot, I don't understand it, we have three dogs...
An 8 lb. Poodle
A 22 lb. Pomeranian
A 90 lb. Lab

I've only seen them remove one person for a dog issue, it's a very dog friendly park. Sorry the summer crowd is having a problem getting in.

Sher

They list a 2 dog limit on their website. I called them twice and both times they said no exceptions, only 2 dogs allowed. My dogs are 4lbs, 5lbs, 18lbs, and 22lbs. I could have my mom watch one of the dogs but I can't have her watch two as it would be too much for her. Maybe I will try calling them again. We live local in Palmetto but would love to stay there for a week during the summer when they are slow.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
sher9570 wrote:

Which RV Park in Cortez...we're at Buttonwood so if that's the one I can answer your questions...

Sher

We really wanted to stay there last year for a week during the summer but they only allow 2 dogs (we have 4). One dog I can leave with my mom but I would have to take the other 3 with me.

I hear this a lot, I don't understand it, we have three dogs...
An 8 lb. Poodle
A 22 lb. Pomeranian
A 90 lb. Lab

I've only seen them remove one person for a dog issue, it's a very dog friendly park. Sorry the summer crowd is having a problem getting in.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you with the RV Parks, but I just wanted to chime in to say Congrats on your new addition to the family.

Pops

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
sher9570 wrote:

Sher

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Its buttonwood. I talked with staff and they were very nice and will refund my deposit. However Max exceeds their weight limit. Our other dog Daisy was right at the limit.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:
Hi all. This is just a question for folks that stay near Bradenton fl. We reserved a campground in Cortez for end of July. Last Friday though we picked up a golden mix at the pound. He is 3 and his owners surrendered due to health reasons. He's a great boy. However I checked and he's over weight limit for campground. It's ok. Their rules and I don't mind. We just need to find a new place. Any ideas? We've never been to gulf coast.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

stngls
Explorer
Explorer
Arbor Terrace in Bradenton is about 7 miles from the beach.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
Not real close, but a couple of places come to mind. One is Fort DeSoto, a Pinellas County park with a campground on the Gulf at the base of Tampa Bay. Be sure to book the dog section.

Another waterfront option on the Gulf is at Turtle Beach, a Sarasota County park and small campground. A bit pricey and hard to get a res.

Another is Oscar Scherer State Park just south of Sarasota, though not waterfront. Lots to do in the area...the beaches are close, there's kayaking at the park, the Ringling Museum, Mote Marine Lab, much more.

Sun n Fun in Sarasota is very pet friendly, but not on the beach. It has two dog parks!

BTW, the Turtle Beach campground does not accept pets at all. That's the only reason we've never tried to make a reservation there.

Oscar Scherer SP is nice, but is not on the beach. You'd have to drive about 15 minutes to get to a beach from there. We're staying there in October.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting full hook up near the beach is make no it hard. I have an email into holiday rv on Cortez rd. To check availability

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Most Florida State parks are pet friendly, you might want to check Florida State parks site online for one near you.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Not real close, but a couple of places come to mind. One is Fort DeSoto, a Pinellas County park with a campground on the Gulf at the base of Tampa Bay. Be sure to book the dog section.

Another waterfront option on the Gulf is at Turtle Beach, a Sarasota County park and small campground. A bit pricey and hard to get a res.

Another is Oscar Scherer State Park just south of Sarasota, though not waterfront. Lots to do in the area...the beaches are close, there's kayaking at the park, the Ringling Museum, Mote Marine Lab, much more.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
You might call the campground and ask, I have done this with my Collies. The campground might also be able to suggest other pet friendly campgrounds in the area. Goldens are such love sponges. Congratulations on the new addition.

+1. I have a pit bull, and I fully understand places prohibiting him. Most have been happy to point me to different camping spots in the area that will accept him. You just have to ask nicely.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You might call the campground and ask, I have done this with my Collies. The campground might also be able to suggest other pet friendly campgrounds in the area. Goldens are such love sponges. Congratulations on the new addition.