cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic Vent Vs. AC

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Y'all. I live in my tiny Scotsman ('Rudi') full-time, but have yet to spend the hottest summer months in it. However, even though I live in the Pacific Northwest, just the months leading up to and away from the summer make for a very warm interior! I'd like to change that, but I need your advice.

Is a very good ventilation system (I'm thinking Fantastic Vent) enough to keep the warm air from baking the interior of Rudi and take a good amount of the edge off, or do you think it would be worth it to spend the $$$ on an AC unit? Thank you!
Alana KS
13 REPLIES 13

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at a portable air conditioner?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
You have all been most helpful! Thank you kindly. I think I'm going to go with the FF given my location, the size of my trailer, and my desire to keep the amount of space and energy expended as minimal as possible. Peace!
Alana KS

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
bobndot wrote:
I have both (a/c and FF) , seldom use the A/C and use the FF (located in my bathroom, i swapped out the tiny OEM fan) all the time. But im in the woods (off grid) in shade most of the time.
The few times i was parked in open fields with hookups on hot humid 95F days, i used the A/C and was glad i had it.

A/C is A/C (conditioned air) and exchange of air is just that, exchange of outside air, be it warm or humid.
This is a personal choice, only you can decide what you like.
In RV's, A/C tends to be a little louder and some people feel closed in, however it keeps outside noise down. In a 5th wheel, the A/C is more tolerable due to taller ceilings. In small TT's its right at your head and you'll need to crank up the tv/stereo.

FF, is more quiet but allows outside noise to penetrate indoors (you need to have a window or windows open) , it does a good job of exhausting or exchanging air.

If you decide on A/C, research the model and btu size. Im not sure about the 8000 btu model (which may have been problematic, many of those came back to the shop for recurring repairs), i think the 9200 btu is the more reliable one. It will run off a Honda 2000.

Another A/C option is a house unit installed thru a wall, window or thru a baggage door , but you'll be giving up some storage space. I saw a baggage door install. It was easy and less expensive (less labor, the hole is already there and framed out and the electrical run is easy). It was out of sight and the noise seems to be less near the floor. A home unit is a lot less expensive than an RV rooftop model.

With a FF , sometimes you can keep only bedroom windows open at night , drawing outside air past you and exhausting it out the fan vent . That might be enough for some people, some not.
If you decide on a FF, get yourself the appropriate size cover to match the flow of the fan so you can use it during rain events.

If you don't want to have a window open you can go with two fans, one pushing and one pulling.

Yes, you jarred my memory, thanks for reminding me how old i am :B I set up a truck camper that way and it worked well. :C

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
I have both (a/c and FF) , seldom use the A/C and use the FF (located in my bathroom, i swapped out the tiny OEM fan) all the time. But im in the woods (off grid) in shade most of the time.
The few times i was parked in open fields with hookups on hot humid 95F days, i used the A/C and was glad i had it.

A/C is A/C (conditioned air) and exchange of air is just that, exchange of outside air, be it warm or humid.
In RV's, A/C tends to be a little louder and some people feel closed in, however it keeps outside noise down. In a 5th wheel, the A/C is more tolerable due to taller ceilings. In small TT's its right at your head and you'll need to crank up the tv/stereo.

FF, is more quiet but allows outside noise to penetrate indoors (you need to have a window or windows open) , it does a good job of exhausting or exchanging air.

If you decide on A/C, research the model and btu size. Im not sure about the 8000 btu model (which may have been problematic, many of those came back to the shop for recurring repairs), i think the 9200 btu is the more reliable one. It will run off a Honda 2000.

Another A/C option is a house unit installed thru a wall, window or thru a baggage door , but you'll be giving up some storage space. I saw a baggage door install. It was easy and less expensive (less labor, the hole is already there and framed out and the electrical run is easy). It was out of sight and the noise seems to be less near the floor. A home unit is a lot less expensive than an RV rooftop model.

With a FF , sometimes you can keep only bedroom windows open at night , drawing outside air past you and exhausting it out the fan vent . That might be enough for some people, some not.
If you decide on a FF, get yourself the appropriate size cover to match the flow of the fan so you can use it during rain events.

If you don't want to have a window open you can go with two fans, one pushing and one pulling.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Community Alumni
Not applicable
For where you're camping you may be fine with just a fantastic fan. A fantastic fan can easily equalize the outside and inside temps with small trailers. The Pacific Northwest where you're camping doesn't typically have brutal summers. So as long as you're comfortable with the inside temps matching outside then you'll be ok. Down here a fantastic fan just brings the temp down from "Hell" to "You still need oven mitts to touch stuff" lol.

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think about not having AC, however I spend the summer months in extreme heat, 115 my last trip, and the AC was on all weekend. It takes a lot of fuel to run that AC, something to consider. The fantastic fan is a wonderful addition and will create a very nice breeze however keep in mind it will bring in air of whatever temp is outside. It doesn't cool. Another option possible is a small window unit style air conditioner that can be ran off of a smaller generator, if you don't have access to plug in power.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
You have wheels, so you don't need an air conditioner. Either point those wheels north or up in elevation. The Fantastic Fan is a good addition to your rig.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
got humidity?
I couldn't live comfortably without AC myself.
bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I like it cool when sleeping. I prefer 68deg to sleep. AC is a must for me.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
A Fantastic or Maxx fan on high could do a complete change of air in a small TT within just a few minutes. Even on low or medium, it will draw a very nice breeze in through your windows. So whether that would be enough for you depends on the temp and humidity levels outside, and your personal comfort level.

Personally, just sitting around in the TT on a reasonably dry day I am ok up to about 85 degrees during the day, but I like it to be below 75 when I try to fall asleep. But if I were in the Pacific NorthWet, I might feel differently! I hear tales about your humidity levels. I don't like feeling sticky or being under sheets that feel damp, and AC dries the air so much.

If you're trying to economize, install a 3 speed fan along with a MaxxAir vent cover so you can leave it open , even in rain. I think this item is well worth having for comfort's sake even if one has an AC as well, because 90 percent of the time I can be comfortable with just the fan-induced breeze (and I tire of the AC noise).

But if you decide to get an AC, have you considered something like an 8000 BTU window unit? Much cheaper than a rooftop unit. Some folks install them permanently through either a window or a hole cut in a wall.

This.

You definitely don't need a large AC unit. You need one small enough that it will run at least one-fourth of the time that it's on. That's what it takes to keep humidity down. You also need to be able to run the fan on high, to move enough air through to keep the AC from forming ice on the evap coils.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A Fantastic or Maxx fan on high could do a complete change of air in a small TT within just a few minutes. Even on low or medium, it will draw a very nice breeze in through your windows. So whether that would be enough for you depends on the temp and humidity levels outside, and your personal comfort level.

Personally, just sitting around in the TT on a reasonably dry day I am ok up to about 85 degrees during the day, but I like it to be below 75 when I try to fall asleep. But if I were in the Pacific NorthWet, I might feel differently! I hear tales about your humidity levels. I don't like feeling sticky or being under sheets that feel damp, and A/C dries the air so much.

If you're trying to economize, install a 3 speed fan along with a MaxxAir vent cover so you can leave it open 24/7, even in rain. I think this item is well worth having for comfort's sake even if one has an A/C as well, because 90% of the time I can be comfortable with just the fan-induced breeze (and I tire of the A/C noise).

But if you decide to get an A/C, have you considered something like an 8000 BTU window unit? Much cheaper than a rooftop unit. Some folks install them permanently through either a window or a hole cut in a wall.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think it depends entirely on where you camp.
I often go a year or more without turning on the AC but I avoid super hot area's in the middle of summer. We go to the hot, east side of the state in the very early and very late months of the camping season.
I suspect if you cap someplace like Hells Canyon in the middle of summer, you'll want AC or you could just avoid those area's like we do. Or. has such great CG's all over the state that you should be able to avoid the heat.

Good luck.