cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ham, Lamb, or Something Else?

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
What meat do you normally eat for Easter assuming you celebrate it?
24 REPLIES 24

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:
GaryKH wrote:
We're doing a ham roast also, in oven with pineapple. I thought i'd do something different for a side dish, so searched, and came up with this...

Eggs and Hash Browns

Looks good!

Well, it was great! The eggs made a different,colorful side dish. That, along with the ham, asparagus, spinach, carrots all came together and supplemented each other.

Sounds and reads yummilicious!:c

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH wrote:
We're doing a ham roast also, in oven with pineapple. I thought i'd do something different for a side dish, so searched, and came up with this...

Eggs and Hash Browns

Looks good!

Well, it was great! The eggs made a different,colorful side dish. That, along with the ham, asparagus, spinach, carrots all came together and supplemented each other.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Made a meal out of everything sale priced before Easter. Ham was .89 lb.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Something about cooking lamb on Easter has always seemed sacrilegious to me, not really but it just seems weird. Kind of like a pagan serving rabbit.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Left over lamb chop and mashed potatoes for breakfast this morning. I haven't asked about dinner tomorrow :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We are not traditionalists here. I learned to eat pizza for breakfast 45 years ago!

We've all all the above, plus beef of every cut, pastas from every nation around the world, and we've done our share of eating out too.

This Easter we are going to Applebee's. Not only is this Sunday Easter, but it's also my birthday! So, my 92 year old mother is coming with us.

I'm not Jewish, but I've also participated in REAL Passover celebrations this time of year too in my past. The first one I ever attended was 1976 in Israel, in Jerusalem, at the Hebrew University. I've since conducted several since for various Church groups (but not in the last 17 years - I'm not doing that line of work any more.) But still, something about the Easter Season makes me want to go get a Lamb bone from the local meat market every year. The only problem is, (the tradition). ... the bone is not suppose to be broken. When you get them from the meat market, they are almost always cut into 2.

If anyone is interested in the Passover Celebration and all the various foods and their symbolism, an easy search on the internet: "Passover Traditional Service" will turn up a bazillion web sites. It's an interesting read.

Bitter herbs and all,eh?:c

Participated in my first Seder at a lifelong elementary school friend's home. She grew up Conservative but her paternal grandpa was Orthodox. He'd regale us by demonstrating dairy laws by pouring milk over raw meat. Early science experiments.

The man's family are Reform Jews and the Seders his mother had were very authentic from a secular POV; ordered from Zabar's in NYC or Publix when in FL, LOL.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up it was always lamb as the first meat we ate after Lent.
Now, Nana, tended to serve country ham as a 2nd Easter meat. She'd make a special trip back to VA to pick it up but since she was the only U.S. Southerner in the family we made special allowances for her "eccentricities", LOL.

So the lamb years continued through my adulthood furthered by my decision to marry a "furriner" who also ate lamb on Easter Sunday.

Imagine my surprise when hosting a "let's get to know each other better" Easter with my DIL's family to find that most Americans ate ham. Her family was freaked out looking at the leg of lamb soooo it was a good thing they'd brought McDonald's burgers with them :R:B.

Neither family was the least bit surprised when divorce proceedings started a few years later.

This Sunday, it'll be boneless leg of lamb (easier to serve for small gatherings) slathered with garlic, parsley and olive oil and roasted until rare. If asparagus looks nice when I get to market I'll make a starter of spring minestrone soup. The man wants potatoes and I want rice. Maybe we'll toss a coin and let it be the decider.
Already have a lemon cream in the freezer for dessert.

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
For us it will be Turkey and Stuffing. Not too popular with the family but I got the turkey free so I have to use it.

Watched folks check out Prime Rib the other day. At 59.50 per KG many chose to pass and go with Ham or Roast Pork,

Happy Easter to all!

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Smoking a 14# prime rib, baked beans, mashed taters, deviled eggs on Saturday. Sunday, leftovers..:)

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer

Eggs and Hash Browns

Looks good!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Growing up it was a BIG HAM that was slow cooking while we were at church

Now it is Ham Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich, Chicken Salad Sandwich......basically some kind of sandwich and piece of fruit

Full blown is reserved for Christmas Dinner (that would be Lunch for Northerner's)
and that would be Ham one year and Turkey the next year alternating.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Lamb, because cause it's Easter and we like it. We have it once or twice a month.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Found young turkeys at 49 cents a pound on sale after Thanksgiving and hauled one all the way to Yuma. Don't want to haul it back to Oregon so guess we will be having turkey and dressing.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I checked with Herself and she bought a roaster chicken for this year that will be wrapped in bacon. It'll be served with stuffing on the side. Deviled eggs with bacon sprinkles. Potato and egg salads. Salad greens on the side.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus