cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many make park reservations vs find as you go.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
First I'm a bit of a planner but would like take a little more relaxed approach going forward. Just curious how many here have all there parks planed/paid for in advance of a trip vs those who just roll till you need to stop and hunt for a place. I would imagine the later would be difficult in certain region during peak season. I guess you could always hit wal-mart as a back-up.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
50 REPLIES 50

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of old-timers mourn the days when you never needed a reservation. But as the baby boomers hit SS age, RVs are selling like hot cakes. Meanwhile, it seems that the number of campsites is shrinking.

So, if you know where you are going to be, why not make the reservation? Sure, you may end up canceling and losing a couple of bucks. How much is peace of mind worth?
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Please remember that not ALL Walmarts can allow overnight camping due to restrictions by local ordinances.

We usually reserve when headed to travel "destinations" and especially during the summer school vacation season. Since I am the driver, I prefer to know that I have a safe place to park when on a timeline/summertime. Otherwise, off season, we like to free-form our travel plans. Happy trails!

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
GregToni wrote:
I'm a planner... want to at least have an idea of where I'm going, what to see, and where to stay. Spent a couple of months planning a 3 wk trip to Seattle this summer, now it just got canceled... planning a couple replacement trips, Kansas and northern rockies. With some places not taking older motorhomes, I want to make sure I have a place when I get there.

You really spent a couple months planning a three week trip?

We traveled on motorcycle pulling a camper over 150,000 miles in 10 years, rarely ever made a reservation, had a lot of fun on those trips.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

GregToni
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a planner... want to at least have an idea of where I'm going, what to see, and where to stay. Spent a couple of months planning a 3 wk trip to Seattle this summer, now it just got canceled... planning a couple replacement trips, Kansas and northern rockies. With some places not taking older motorhomes, I want to make sure I have a place when I get there.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you're still working and pressed for time then definitely make reservations.

We were full-timers and retired so we were never on a schedule. We didn't make reservations even for our 40' motorhome and for many national and state parks - even along the Oregon coast in all seasons.

Many parks have campgrounds that don't even accept reservations such as Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Bryce, etc. and also some state parks - even in Oregon. We also enjoy national forest campgrounds. Of those that do reservations, there are always 'no shows'. If it's a major tourist destination such as Yellowstone, we'd stay nearby the previous night and drive into the park early morning when folks are leaving and when the 'no show' sites become available.

Honestly, we've never been turned away because there was no room at the inn. I understand that some folks think they can't travel this way but you can. It just takes a different way to approach the situation. You'd never pull in a 4pm in a national or state park and expect to get a site. The same goes for pulling in on a Friday. If you can be flexible it's easily done.

I sure hope this will work for us. We are going to Grand Canyon, Utah NP areas, and Colorado for the months of May and June. Our trip is completely seat of the pants, and I do have some dread about not having reservations. OTOH no matter what, our MH will be somewhere every night, with us inside it.

We won't know until we try.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
We reservein advance unless going someplace that does nit take them like our fave spot two hours away. Then we go mid week to get a spot. Only once got burned in 7 years.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Destination we always have a reservation. Overnite travel stops we wing. Maybe a bigbox parking lot or something of that sort. Everyother day we get out the guide about 2 in the afternoon and start looking. Always find something, sometimes even adds to the adventure.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We do it both ways on our trips to Montana or the Black Hills. 3 Years ago we did 7k miles in 7 weeks and only made 4 reservations. We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Montana, S.D. Colorado, and N.M. before heading home for Aug. thru early Oct. Not sure how many reservation I will make. If any they will be made as we go. Enjoy your trip.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:
Here in Oregon we reserve because space may not be available or not a good spot. If we go unreserved we run the risk of someone reserving our spot online forcing us to move. Odd thing about OSP is online it may show nothing available but when we arrive we see several unoccopied spots. Have yet to figure that one out

How could someone reserve you're spot?

Sprink-Fitter

I don't see their answer so I'll post my guess. I think Oasis Bob is saying he would have a site for one night then decided to stay more nights, but before he renewed for the next night someone made a reservation for the spot he is occupying which forces him to move. If he reserved the following night when he arrived I don't think he would have that problem.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wa State Parks used to let you cancel with full refund, except for the original "online reservation fee", which is like $7 or something..

But, people started to abuse the system and make reservations TWO WEEKS ahead of time, to get the weekend they wanted. Then they would cancel the prior days after the 9 month time frame for that weekend.

They would get refunded all the fees for the prior days they canceled, yet still be able to keep the the days they really wanted..

Totally UNFAIR and WA State Parks realized that and put policies in that if you cancel your PRIOR dates after such a period of time (within days), you would NOT get your site fees back and have to eat that cost.. You can still cancel your ENTIRE block of days and get a full refund within 7 days of your arrival date.. But, you have to cancel the entire reservation block..

So, you can still do the TWO WEEK thing and then cancel if you want, but it's going to cost you now.

Thank you WA State Parks for doing this! I was getting blocked out of so many sites because of this and now I can get the sites I like in the time frame I want and all is good in the world again!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Keep in mind that reservations can almost always be canceled or changed. Sometimes for no more than $10 sometimes more. I used to hate spending that extra money but I'd rather have a reserv. that I have to cancel than to go a destination and find it full. $15 or $20 spent on changing the reserv. isn't much as part of the overall cost of a trip.

I can't ever remember being charged for changing a reservation at a standard commercial rv park.
bumpy

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that reservations can almost always be canceled or changed. Sometimes for no more than $10 sometimes more. I used to hate spending that extra money but I'd rather have a reserv. that I have to cancel than to go a destination and find it full. $15 or $20 spent on changing the reserv. isn't much as part of the overall cost of a trip.
Jayco-noslide

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
We camp in our State Parks during the summer and on weekends, so we have to reserve if we want to camp.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not everyone camps the same way, so gotta just do what works best for your situation..

Happy Camping everyone!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We always know where we will be spending the night in advance. That does not mean we make reservations every place we stop. We call a couple days in advance of our stop and see if a reservation is required. Sometimes reservations must be made way in advance. For instance, we visit family in FL in the springtime and we stay at a state park. A reservation must be made as soon as the reservation window opens or we will not get a site when we want it because the snow birds are still there.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK