cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which UTAH State & National Parks Should Not Be Missed

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
With limited time in the area (a little flexibility to add an extra day here or there but not weeks!), and so much choice from what google information we've managed to source can you share what would be your "must see" for the day/half day or when passing enroute, versus "should camp overnight" or two nights. We are not sure if we should be buying the $75 annual SP pass as well as the $80 America The Beautiful annual pass or just Pay as we arrive at each and every SP, as some state you don't pay the day entrance fee if you are booked into the CG overnight.

We enjoy walking, but we are not strenuous hikers by any means. We enjoy anything water related such as rafting/kayaking, fishing for hubby (albeit depends on what's available versus price of non-resident license!), and of course general WOW sightings whilst enjoying our picnics. We are set up well and prefer dry camping and boon docking so happy for any tips on where to stay.

We've done Zion NP overnights very briefly 3 or 4 times years ago , but we'd like to save that for a more in depth stay for a few days in the future at maybe Watchman CG so not including on this trip.

We will be crossing the Sweetgrass border early in the morning on the 3rd May, and intend to head to Yellowstone NP North side (Gardiner) and then amble our way around and down towards and through Tetons, and eventually be at Antelope State Park on 6th or 7th May for an O/N - day and half in that SP. Is this an OK time of year to do this?

We have to head directly over the next couple of days down to Yuma (not ideal time of year to do that but schedules and need dictates!) for dental work, the main reason for this trip, and will hang around for a good couple of weeks plus doing a loop of things in AZ

We will be coming North through the VRG from LV, and working out way North back to Canada at the very end of May taking about two to three weeks to get home around mid June and here is where we wanted to get a good taste of Utah's SPs and NPs which we've passed by so very many times over the years but never experienced. Here and more or less in order are our thoughts, and where we look to you experienced RVers as to what is worth staying at overnight for the ambience/visiting for the day or as passing by, or maybe even "don't waste our time as xxxx is much better". Likewise is there any "must see/do" we've missed maybe, and please any boon docking tips always welcome.

Gunlock SP and/or Sand Hollow SP
Otter Creek SP
Bryce Canyon NP
Kodachrome (Check out as passing enroute?)
Capital Reef State Park
Goblin SP
Arches NP
Moab (where best to stay O/N here, ideally boon docking but ..... and how long to explore?)
Canyonlands NP
Dead Horse Point SP (Is this worthy compared to what else we'll be doing?)
Huntington SP - ?worth a look see enroute or ?
Starvation SP - ?worth detouring a little to check out?
Deer Creek SP - ?look see or worth staying at O/N?

Then amble having a look see enroute over the next week or so up through part of Idaho & Montana, to Twin Falls, Hagerman, Sun Valley, Ketchum, Stanley, Salmon, Hamilton, Missoula, Anaconda.

In a nutshell we are trying to get off the I15 Hwy, and get a little taster of different areas we've not been to, that we can maybe add into our spreadsheet of places we'd like to spend more time at when that time permits us to do so in the future.

Thanks for sharing your valuable input regarding the general plan for this trip so we can make the absolute best of our time. Likewise any "boon docking/dry camping tips" so very very much appreciated.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars
25 REPLIES 25

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I second or third both Kodachrome and Dead Horse Point state parks if you have time for them. Both have electric sites and Kodachrome even has a few long, pull-thru, FHU sites. And, because the Devils Garden campground in Arches is closed this year, the DHPSP campground makes a great (although long commute) campground for Arches and Canyonlands both. Just don't forget to fill up with water before going there--they don't have anything but limited quantities of drinking water.

Personally, I think the views from Dead Horse Point rival anything you can see from other overlooks in Canyonlands.

No one has mentioned the views/thrill of just driving from Kodachrome to Capital Reef on UT 12. It is a spectacular, not-to-be-missed highway!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the links and feedback. It's been very much appreciated and we think we have found a good balance for our itinerary now, between taking the time for smelling the roses to so speak, and experiencing a piece of what Southern Utah has to offer us for longer stays in the future>

Much appreciated feedback from you all.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Deer Creek - I just drove by there today. If you are into fishing, the Provo river is actually pretty well known from what I've heard. Above Deer Creek has some parking lots on the river. Below the dam is beautiful as well. The campground at the reservoir isn't in a very interesting place but has a great view of the backside of Mt. Timpanogos. There is another small campground at Wasatch State Park in Midway if you don't want to be by the water (this is the backside of Deer Valley ski area). There are some commercial rv campgrounds in Heber if that is what you are looking for. One is near the Provo river but closer to the Jordanelle reservoir (not far from deer creek). Midway is a great small town.

Deer Creek also has one of the longest zip lines in the country from what I've heard. Zip line also at Sundance ski resort in Provo canyon. Only 30 minutes to Park City.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time Dead Horse is good but there are so many places that are better.

After the second trip thru the parks plus the National Monuments we decided that we did not have enough time and now spend our winters near Saint George. We add another week every year we go and will take three and a half months next year.

MrWizard
my 3 favorites are Arches, bryce, and capitol reef

and each one is worth several days

if all your looking for is drive by for a few hours
stop at kodachrome, then head on out of state
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Vermilye, I will later on this evening sit down and thoroughly go through this thread and check out all the links so kindly shared.

Love RVers = people, helping people, helping people with sharing experiences and knowledge ๐Ÿ™‚

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others that suggest choosing a few nearby parks to visit so you can spend less time driving between them & more time in the parks. If it is any help deciding, I've made up a couple of pages with pictures & information about some of the state & national parks:
Some State & National Parks

Have a great trip!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
You Guys Rock!

4RunnerGuy - THANK YOU! Thatโ€™s exactly what I was looking for. So appreciate it. We stayed at Willard Bay many years ago, donโ€™t need to do SL, but would like to experience Antelope Island.

Old-Biscuit - THANK YOU also, alas being Canadian I donโ€™t think we can qualify for the lifetime $10 pass ๐Ÿ˜ž

Gordon-Three - THANK YOU TOO, especially the tips on Natural Bridge National Monument and Valley of the Gods (Thought that was in Colorado, then realized it was The Garden Of The Gods I did on mule several years ago LOL), and Horseshoe Bend = going to go google these now and map.

Searching UT - Can you come with us as our guide (blush). Seriously youโ€™ve no idea how I appreciate the amount of time and your personal knowledge youโ€™ve so kindly shared.

Again Dan, thanks for that blog link will go back and click on it now.

I noted from some previous threads over the years for the area, that we should do Hwy 12 as it is apparently very beautiful.

I reiterate yet again a huge THANK YOU to you all that took the time to share your experiences and general thoughts on the area. Looks like we shall just drop most of the State Parks, and the handful we will be visiting just pay as we go.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Following this thread closely as we'll be in southern Utah for most of May and it will be our first trip to that area.

O/P - Great initial post in laying our your schedule and camping preferences. So much easier to respond to than those saying 'We're going to xxxxx. What should we see and where should we stay?' Its also nice to see you recognize the input from those offering suggestions. Hope you folks have a great trip.

All responding - I appreciate your thoughts as well. We'll be with a loose knit group of internet friends, most of whom are unfamiliar with the area, but we do have a Utah native along who is organizing things.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan (profdant139) ... outstanding comments above on visiting Utah!

Some of our best times RV'ing in Utah have not been when visiting their state and federal parks - because our preference is to RV in places when the weather is nice, the views are pristine, the crowds are small, and the traffic is light. These days it's getting difficult to find that combination in Utah's park areas. FWIW, a couple of my favorite places to explore and camp in Utah are Antelope Island and the Fish Lake area ... in addition to camping around other remote rockhounding places in Utah.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This blog post may contain some useful info:

Kodachrome and vicinity
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dan, and without question I hear you loud and clear. If we weren't restricted by the number of days we are allowed in the USA, coupled with a lot of other commitments believe me we'd be spending a week here and a week there and so on and so forth.

We were hoping to use this return trip back, to from it, make a short list of places we'd like to return to and stay longer - much longer.

Without question we are most envious of those that are able to slow down substantially on their travels either during retirement or whilst working on the road, just right now we aren't quite there yet, so we're doing the best we can with each 24hours we're given on this earth.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could I make a friendly suggestion? Consider cutting way, way back on your itinerary. To me, the magic of Utah is not the sights, exactly. It's the sound, or really the absence of it. There is so much peace and quiet out there. The stars are like nothing you have ever seen.

Take some time to just chill out in that wonderful emptiness. Take hikes to places that are not crowded. Watch sunrises, and sunsets, and moonrises. Watch a meteor shower.

I appreciate that not everyone likes a slower pace. But to me, that is the really unique aspect of the desert Southwest. It is a place to unwind and relax, and to feel unimportant and small.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

Gunlock SP and/or Sand Hollow SP Gunlock is okay if you're boating/playing with kayaks, paddle boards etc. It's just a place to camp on a reservoir. Sand Hollow is a more scenic Reservoir for water recreation and has one of the best play areas in the state for ATV riding, both sand dunes and serious rock crawling options. Neither is really worth visiting if not into the water or ATV stuff in my opinion. (I personally spend at least 3 or 4 days every year at sand hollow)

Otter Creek SP Not particularly scenic, primarily a reservoir for water recreation and a good ATV trail base camp

Bryce Canyon NP Personally prefer a couple days here. You want to hike down through the formations if possible, take in the sunrise and sunset over the formations and check out the night skies. One good option is to camp at Kodachrome Basin instead and drive here for the day.

Kodachrome (Check out as passing enroute?) Has about 5 or 6 hours of hiking trails that will give you the gist of the area, fantastic night skies, tends to be a really quiet campground to where you find yourself amazed at how noisy the airlines are way up in the sky.

Capital Reef State Park It's a National Park, has a lot of great hiking trails, quit pleasant campground. You could easily spend weeks exploring here although most seem to just drive through

Goblin SP Interesting area to explore and hike. Nice little campground here as well. You also have some easily accessed slot canyons in the area. Depending on how much you enjoy hiking, spend anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days.

Arches NP Depending on your hiking ability, how early you start, and how crowded it is you can see most of what is worth seeing in a long day.

Moab (where best to stay O/N here, ideally boon docking but ..... and how long to explore?)

Canyonlands NP

Dead Horse Point SP (Is this worthy compared to what else we'll be doing?)

Huntington SP - ?worth a look see enroute or ? Just a reservoir in a not particularly scenic location. Good base camp for driving out to the dinosaur quarry, or a reasonable drive to the little grand canyon area.

Starvation SP - ?worth detouring a little to check out? Water recreation on a reservoir, nice base area for ATV riding

Deer Creek SP - ?look see or worth staying at O/N? Again, just a reservoir for water recreation or area to base for ATV riding

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.