cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comments on Oravet

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone tried the new Oravet for cleaning their Dog's teeth? What's your take on it?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
6 REPLIES 6

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the responses. Originally I had scheduled my 12 year old Shih Tzu for teeth cleaning since her breath was bad. The Vet found a heart mermur and took xrays and cardio gram before putting her under to clean her teeth. Turns out she has an enlarged heart and he would not put her under to clean her teeth as she might not make it. He checked her teeth and had them brushed, there were no bad teeth or infections. He gave her an Oravet and her breath was no longer stinky. These are pricy but they seem to work really good. So I use Minties and give the Oravet a few times a week. Hopefully the price will come down. One of the Vet Techs actually ate one and she said it was pretty tasty. It does smell like chocolote
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dturm
It has been my impression that dental health starts with genetics, then is improved or damaged by lifestyle practices.

Most of the dental specific products, like oravet, denta-stix, oral rinses, sprays, water additives, animal specific tooth paste have some degree of benefit. Those benefit range from AMAZING to marginal.

I usually recommend them, but success is not universal.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
We have given the denta-stix daily since pups,for our 2 pugs, 7 & 11. They split one.
The older one has a little plaque/tartar on 2 teeth. Younger one clean as a whistle.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
I haven't tried the Oravet, but FWIW -- For the past two or three years I've given our Shih Tzu a Pedigree DentaStix daily. He's five and at his last check up the vet absolutely raved about what good shape his teeth are in and said he's a long way from needing a dental (which is apparently unusual for a Shih Tzu his age). Genetics? DentaStix? Who knows? But he loves his "chewers" so I'll keep giving them to him. The vet said he has quite a few clients whose dogs' teeth seem to benefit from DentaStix.

Thanks for the information!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't tried the Oravet, but FWIW -- For the past two or three years I've given our Shih Tzu a Pedigree DentaStix daily. He's five and at his last check up the vet absolutely raved about what good shape his teeth are in and said he's a long way from needing a dental (which is apparently unusual for a Shih Tzu his age). Genetics? DentaStix? Who knows? But he loves his "chewers" so I'll keep giving them to him. The vet said he has quite a few clients whose dogs' teeth seem to benefit from DentaStix.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the commercials.....get the message across in a very innovative funny way
Bought a box from Vet last year when we had new rescue dog checked out.
A bit on the high end pricing

She chewed them up. No issues----she is a bit finicky about 'treats'

But cost to benefit......didn't see any change in cleanliness of teeth and her breath was NOT an issue to begin with so we haven't purchased again

She gets VitaBone biscuits each day plus a much cheaper 'chew' for teeth care each week.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31