cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safes

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello guys I have been thinking about installing a safe in my TT, and was wondering what do you guys have in your rv? I know that it want be rock solid but just something that will slow them down. Thank you for your comments.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just a weekend camper. I keep anything of value in my pickup and the truck locked. If I am in certain areas (Like if I go to a airshow and park in a public lot) I hide it under something in the pickup too.

If you add a safe, and if it is a big heavy one, don't forget that you are adding weight and figure that into your tow and tongue weight calculations. It won't be a lot I suppose but, the big ones can be heavy.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
One not hidden and one hidden.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I have a canvas roll I just put all my money in in the back of the pickup. Saved up $15K so far. Roll is getting fat.

and you are where in N VA? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a canvas roll I just put all my money in in the back of the pickup. Saved up $15K so far. Roll is getting fat.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
bobndot wrote:

Build a fake bottom inside a closet, under a carpeted step where you unscrew the step and lift it up or use the end of an overhead cabinet to construct a fake end. Use velcro to hold the fake panel in place. Stain it to match as close as you can to the original wood.
or use a fake electrical outlet , usually just large enough to hold whatever you need to hide.
ry.

my Chieftain had a tip out laundry "basket" and I cut a piece of plywood to fit, stained it to match, and had a nice little area under it to put $$$ etc. throw some dirty undies in there and scare people away. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

:B Hi Bumpy, good idea and funny too.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I bolted this safe in a corner. Great for wallet, watch, keys, an maybe a rosco.....

At $47.... A bargin...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012OS4GK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

Build a fake bottom inside a closet, under a carpeted step where you unscrew the step and lift it up or use the end of an overhead cabinet to construct a fake end. Use velcro to hold the fake panel in place. Stain it to match as close as you can to the original wood.
or use a fake electrical outlet , usually just large enough to hold whatever you need to hide.
ry.

my Chieftain had a tip out laundry "basket" and I cut a piece of plywood to fit, stained it to match, and had a nice little area under it to put $$$ etc. throw some dirty undies in there and scare people away. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted, by putting in a safe you are merely hoping to make it easier for the thieves to steal from someone else.

While my little safe is not hidden {bottom of the closet}, it is thoroughly bolted down. Could a bad guy get it open or out? With time, tools and a lot of "want to", perhaps but most thieves are opportunists who just want to snatch, grab and go. We usually use it to store cash, electronics, prescription drugs and weapons as they are all far more secure inside the safe.

Another benefit is when traveling through a state that does not recognize my concealed weapons permit. Unloaded and securely locked in the safe possession is completely legal but very {as in 20 seconds}, accessible.

:C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safe ? Depends for what ?

If you buy real good safe, it gets bolted down from the inside of the safe. You have to open it to have access to the bolts. Doesn't need to be hidden.
(If you decide to bury it, make sure you are not cutting into plumbing lines, electrical lines or whatever.)

Extra keys ? keep an extra TT key in the truck and an extra truck key in the TT.

Papers,cash and Docs ? no safe...just a hiding spot.
A plastic zip lock bag inside the sewer hose. Remember it's there so you don't flush it away while dumping. That can sometimes increase your dumping fee.

There are a few 'dead space' areas behind panels that sometimes unscrew to gain access inside. Areas under the fridge, furnace,water heater or bath/shower area. (sometimes there is a plumbing access panel to be able to access the shower drain etc)

***Use "decoy money" , maybe $20 in small bills in a small box on a countertop where a thief can see it right away. People that commit burglaries want to get in quick and back out with any cash they can, as fast as they can. The decoy $20 covers that. They really don't want to start taking things apart in an attempt to find something.
They need to carry the tools to do that, which is normally in many states, an additional crime on top of the burglary.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Under the bed in 5th wheel the second one we've installed. The first in a camper that burned. Had cash and our passports in it. Saved them as we were in s.d. headed to Alaska. Bought it at cabelas. Husband bolted it so couldn't be easily removed.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing a remodel of the interior of our TT. I have been shopping for a safe that I can incorporate into a piece of furniture where it will be hidden. Since we plan to soon be going semi-full time, my primary requirement is fire/water proof to protect documents.

So far I haven't found the perfect candidate. I look forward to seeing what others have used.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I bolted down a small gun safe, under the bed in my MH and under the dinette seat in my TT. like you say, slow them down and perhaps they will go elsewhere.
bumpy