cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotating Hitch 180

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any problem rotating my bar 180 to gain rise? I probably only will need an inch. Having new axles put on that I know will raise me at least 4 inches.

8 REPLIES 8

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes hitches have different weight ratings when used in drop form versus rise. Might check for that on the sticker.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo: agreed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
cs2kplus wrote:
Yes APT...good point. I am concerned about the lack of holes. I've seen others on line and they have more holes. No idea why it was designed that way? I MAY have to replace that part?

I wonder if I can drill new holes?

Buying a new part will be easier than drilling new holes.

The only right way to put more holes in it would be to have a machine shop do it so the holes are straight and true.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Yes APT...good point. I am concerned about the lack of holes. I've seen others on line and they have more holes. No idea why it was designed that way? I MAY have to replace that part?

I wonder if I can drill new holes?

I will have to see what happens when I get it back. I do have another bar somewhere about that may work. I have to use the ball part so I can use old WD bars - which work very well. Thanks!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
yes, you can flip the ball mount. However, that mount may not adjust enough for you. There is a larger gap between up and down than one hole spacing. It is worth trying first after you get the trailer axles raised.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No problem at all. I have done this several times for people.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Good point about tailgate. Looks like I should be ok. I will check. Thanks! BTW I found a pic backing this up....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=SJ2JV8RE&id=7FD5E1399808036FEDC1E42FE6B38357CB90A3FA&q=rotate+hitch+draw+bar+for+height&simid=608029802748773319&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, not all all. They are designed to be used in the down position or the up position. Just make sure if it's in the up position, your truck tailgate doesn't hit. That's the only thing to watch for if you have one that has too much of a "rise".