cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come Early if You Want to See Denali

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Most folks come up here in June or July. But if you want the BEST chances of seeing Denali come in April or May.

Yes it is a bit cool, days are in the high 40's to low 50's here in Fairbanks but skies are very clear, free of pollution and this is still a very dry time (fewer clouds).

So if you are planning to come this JUNE start now if you can. If you are planning for next year same thing. And you have the added benefit that things are not nearly as crowded and busy.

By the middle of May virtually everything is open.
15 REPLIES 15

DonP
Explorer
Explorer
when we were there in 2005 we saw the MT 4 out of 7 days that we were in the park. Those days were crystal clear, the day we did the Wonder lake trip couldn't have been better. I didn't think it was too crowded, we did check into the campground early so we could get a spot for our 40 ft MH

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in June about 15 years ago... Spent three of four days there at Denali. Saw the mountain the day we got there.... and that was it... Still a great trip though...
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made our reservation for Tek in mid June. Can Not Wait!!

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Do you mean it is more scenic in April or May or just less crowded?
Is there limited entrance to the park with people turned away in June and July?

Well the scenery is different as it's spring not full on summer. But It's all great. More snow on the mountains.

Denali does get busy. 800 people will be going from Fairbanks to Denali on the tenth of May alone. Now these wont be camping but it does affect other things as well. That doesnt count everyone else. It only gets worse in June and July.

I think I would choose a date now to be in Denali and plan my trip around that date. Make reservations for Teklanika Campground now should be no problem.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you mean it is more scenic in April or May or just less crowded?
Is there limited entrance to the park with people turned away in June and July?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've seen "the mountain" in both May and August. Our last time we saw it 7 out of 10 days while staying in the park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
We come late, a lot of the road construction is finished & bugs have gorged themselves on the early birds. The mountain is still there, believe it or not.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Can double down on the Thermacells...don't understand it, but they do work. Bounce doesn't work for me, but others I know state that it is effective.

Everybody has their own level of tolerance for bugs. FWIW, IMNSHO the mosquitoes weren't too bad last year around SC Alaska area. That being said, the no-seeum's won the battle for the several days I spent in the Wrangell-St. Elias area, but generally bugs weren't bad around Los Anchorage, Squarebanks, and Homer.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Thermacells work great around the camper and we also wipe ourselves with Bounce dryer sheets. We carry insect repellent in our camper, but we hate using it unless absolutely necessary. Wiping exposed skin and clothing with Bounce sheets has worked for some strange reason, and it smells much better than Off or Cutter.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
2lazy4U wrote:
MORSNOW wrote:
2lazy4U wrote:
Are the mosquitoes still sleeping if I come early?

They are already coming out, we are in the 50's today.

I was afraid of that. Was thinking about heading north in a couple of weeks. I dunno, maybe this will be the year I explore closer to home.

Don't let something as mundane and easily avoided as a mosquito keep you from seeing someplace as stupendously beautiful as Alaska. And if mosquitoes really are so terrible for you, you could still visit the main centers like Anchorage and Fairbanks and Denali Visitor Center and Homer and Valdez and Seward and Skagway and probably never see as many mosquitoes as you do at home.

They can be bad at certain times of th year and in particular places. But dont' let scare stories stop you.

Been to Alaska a number of times and yes, the mosquitoes are a consideration for me since I tent camp.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
MORSNOW wrote:
2lazy4U wrote:

I was afraid of that. Was thinking about heading north in a couple of weeks. I dunno, maybe this will be the year I explore closer to home.

Don't let something as mundane and easily avoided as a mosquito keep you from seeing someplace as stupendously beautiful as Alaska. And if mosquitoes really are so terrible for you, you could still visit the main centers like Anchorage and Fairbanks and Denali Visitor Center and Homer and Valdez and Seward and Skagway and probably never see as many mosquitoes as you do at home.

They can be bad at certain times of th year and in particular places. But dont' let scare stories stop you.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
2lazy4U wrote:

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
2lazy4U wrote:

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless their protocols have changed, once the maintenance crews finish up plowing the roads to where they are passable - the park road permits free no fee travel to Teklanika River at mile 31.....on snowier seasons the road will not be open until well into May - the park officially opens right before Memorial Day Weekend with fees and restricted travel rules in place.

During April when the park road is drivable and passable, most areas are still snowpacked throughout the park itself.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)