cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED's

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
To switch out my old TT tailights to LED's, I assume I would have to get a new socket. Correct ?
30 REPLIES 30

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:
Replaced complete light housings with these. Great quality with no fast blink issues.

Much brighter. Took all of 15 minutes per light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RV-Camper-Trailer-Stop-Turn-Brake-Tail-Lights-License-Light-Black-Base-/...

I have these also. Been on the trailer for about a year now with no issues. Can see them a lot easier during the day. Super easy install.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced complete light housings with these. Great quality with no fast blink issues.

Much brighter. Took all of 15 minutes per light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RV-Camper-Trailer-Stop-Turn-Brake-Tail-Lights-License-Light-Black-Base-/...

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
I should say an alternative to replacing the flasher relay is using load resistors to fool your stock relay but then you lose the energy saving benefit of the led's
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this info will help you. If you swap out all of your trucks incandescent lights for led bulbs you are going to get either a hyperflash or a steady light with no flash at all. You will need to change out the flasher relay for one that is compatible with LED lights. Brake lights, reverse lights, park lights etc will all be 100% compatible without doing anything special. If you are only doing your RV then nothing is required as the trucks flasher relay is still working off the trucks regular incandescent lights. Just swap the bulbs out and your good.

I little while back i swapped my trucks lighting inside and out for LED light bulbs. I actually made a youtube video of the process as well as a before and after video of the changes. If your interested in doing your truck you may find the before and after video shows a clear picture of what your end result will be like.

Swapping the lights & flasher relay, showing how i did it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo2k37gzqM

Before and After comparison : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4w28pSbdAE

In my opinion, the red or amber color lights are made for clear lenses and i see no reason to opt for them unless you have clear lenses. Bulb you take out clear? replace with white LED, is it red/amber? replace with red/amber LED.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:
To switch out my old TT tailights to LED's, I assume I would have to get a new socket. Correct ?

Negative, they make bulbs that fit in stock housing, I did the same swap, i did it on ALL the lights on my trailer, and ALL the lights on my truck.

You don't have any issues with the lights blinking/flashing when brakes are applied, or just being on. Ive thought about swapping mine out as well on the TT as well as my truck, but was reading where people were having current problems and/or needing to install some type of ballast.

I'm not an electrician, just curious if its as simple as your basic bulb swap. My truck is a 2010 GMC Sierra
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
LEDs come in various light temps. You can get warm white, cool white or daylight to satisfy your color shift needs. I prefer the daylight LED for its brighter output.

LEDs used in a tail light lens need to be RED

I say , again , that I bought some white LED bulbs from Wall Mart that are designed to be put in taillights and they work just fine. They are no better then the original bulbs but, no worse and they are not RED.

(If you want to get picky there was one problem. One of my red lenses had a small crack in the side of it and the white light of the LED showed through the crack brighter then the original bulb did. I solved the problem by putting a small piece of tape over the crack.)

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
LEDs come in various light temps. You can get warm white, cool white or daylight to satisfy your color shift needs. I prefer the daylight LED for its brighter output.

The use of red for red or amber for amber lenses does work for better light absorption rejection and will produce a good visible light. The "daylight" version of the LED has a higher lumen value and will create the same available light output through either red or amber lenses. There is no argument over which to use as all will provide DOT acceptable light levels. If the cost is the same it is a zero sum result.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:

Bob

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

loryray
Explorer
Explorer
visibility

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
Yeah , I don't get it either

What is the major advantage to LED's for the taillights and the running lights? I understand the desire to change out the interior lights, due to energy savings, but energy is no problem for taillights and running lights.

I could see several advantages.

1. Less draw from lights = more charging from TV battery to camper battery

2. Better longevity. Bulb sockets, connections, etc can get troublesome when vehicles sit idle for long periods.

3. Updated looks. Got an older camper but don't want it to look too dated? LEDs are an inexpensive update.

Safety. I read an analysis once where they measured the light up time between LED and incandescent. The LED was faster by microseconds which represented a good number of feet at 70 mph. Could be the difference between getting rear ended or not.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Bols2DawaLL wrote:

What is the major advantage to LED's for the taillights and the running lights? I understand the desire to change out the interior lights, due to energy savings, but energy is no problem for taillights and running lights.

I could see several advantages.

1. Less draw from lights = more charging from TV battery to camper battery

2. Better longevity. Bulb sockets, connections, etc can get troublesome when vehicles sit idle for long periods.

3. Updated looks. Got an older camper but don't want it to look too dated? LEDs are an inexpensive update.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer

loryray
Explorer
Explorer
Try cmmand electronics I just replace tail lights on 2016 minnie winnie TT clean simple and not very expensive