cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone tow a 5th wheel with a Andersen Ultimate hitch?

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone tow a 5th wheel using a Andersen Ultimate hitch that also uses a shock absorbing pinbox (Rubber or Air - MORryde, TrailAir, etc)?
15 REPLIES 15

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Did you install the 5th AirBorne to correct a "chucking" condition? If so, did it smooth out your ride? It depends on who you ask, but some manufacturers do not recommend using a air bag or rubber pin box with a Andersen Hitch. I don't get it. Many of them consider a AU hitch as a gooseneck adapter, which it is NOT. The AU hitch is NOT A GOOSENECK. It simply adapts the pin with a ball at the pin box. I don't see why a MORryde or Demco, or TrailAir wouldn't work any differently than with a regular 5th wheel hitch.

It could be leverage combined with fulcrum shift. The adapter from kingpin to ball socket looks to have about a 5" offset. Look at the Andersen video where they install it on a MORryde pin box. The support point is now in front of the front pin box isolators. This means that all of the pin weight is on the front isolators and there is probably some negative weight on the rear isolators. The pin box isolation plate probably wasn't designed to operate that way.

With the increasing popularity of the Andersen Ultimate, MORryde should develop an Andersen specific pin box. The included ball socket could be centered on the moveable plate so that the dynamics of the isolation system would be correct. No more adapters and offsets to mess things up.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I have the standard pin box and use the Andersen Ultimate hitch and I have a lot of chucking. I'm committed to investing in a shock absorbing pin box but I don't know which one to buy. The MORryde has a lot of good reviews and it's the least expensive. I'll probably go with MR and hope for good results.

Have you called Andersen to see whats compatible? I've called them several times and they're very good at listening to you and helping with different situations.

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AUH and the trailair pin box with shock absorber and air bag. I never used the factory pin with the AUH, but I know the ride is much better for the truck and the trailer with the trailair pin box, it is constantly moving and takes most of the impact when going over bridges and other road imperfections. When I asked Andersen if I had any issue with this pin box and their hitch they responded in writing that there wouldn't be any issue.

I think it was well worth the investment.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the standard pin box and use the Andersen Ultimate hitch and I have a lot of chucking. I'm committed to investing in a shock absorbing pin box but I don't know which one to buy. The MORryde has a lot of good reviews and it's the least expensive. I'll probably go with MR and hope for good results.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that... Andersen will just say keep your solid pinbox and they have seen no benefit to running a cushioned pinbox. I call B.S.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I use Andersen Ultimate hitch, stock pin box. New 36' 5th wheel about 12k lbs loaded. It chucks a lot over bumps and dips.

I had a B&W before I got an Andersen. I had chucking on rougher roads and even some mildly rough roads. I installed a MoRyde with the B&W and it removed most but not all chucking. This last year I bought an Andersen. I didn't get it thinking it would help remove more chucking. I got it because it's only 50lbs and is way easier to remove when needed and I can hang it on the wall in the garage. I have to leave the B&W on the floor, which is a PITA to lift back up into the truck.
Anyway I have the same exact chucking when using both hitches.
I guaranty that the MoRyde won't eliminate ALL your chucking. Even MR says it won't eliminate all. I only get real bad chucking on the rougher roads.
If you're concerned about what hitch to use as far as liability the call Andersen and get their opinion.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
N-trouble, are you happy with the Demco? Do you have much chucking and jerking over bumps or dips in the road? I'm trying to decide which pin box to get that would be most effective in stopping the chucking.

It definately helped remove some of the fore/aft jerking that transfers from the trailer to TV. Also absorbs a lot of the harshness that comes with hard downshifts. It doesnt do anything for up/down movement although I have Timbrens and Bilstein shocks on my TV that do a good job of handling up/down movement.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use Andersen Ultimate hitch, stock pin box. New 36' 5th wheel about 12k lbs loaded. It chucks a lot over bumps and dips.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Are you having a chucking problem now? What pin box do you have? What 5th hitch do you have?

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
N-trouble, are you happy with the Demco? Do you have much chucking and jerking over bumps or dips in the road? I'm trying to decide which pin box to get that would be most effective in stopping the chucking.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Demco Glide Ride with my Andersen. I was going to go MorRyde but wasnt sure about the long term affects on the rubber since the Andersen coupler moves the pin weight out several inches on the pinbox.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Did you install the 5th AirBorne to correct a "chucking" condition? If so, did it smooth out your ride? It depends on who you ask, but some manufacturers do not recommend using a air bag or rubber pin box with a Andersen Hitch. I don't get it. Many of them consider a AU hitch as a gooseneck adapter, which it is NOT. The AU hitch is NOT A GOOSENECK. It simply adapts the pin with a ball at the pin box. I don't see why a MORryde or Demco, or TrailAir wouldn't work any differently than with a regular 5th wheel hitch.

I got tired of the effort to take a 300 lb hitch in and out.
The Andersen is easy
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Scroll down and watch the video with the 5th wheel in the picture.
https://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer