cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

55+ communities

crhope
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to get opinions on which 55+ communities are the best in the RGV. We are in our early sixties. Husband plays golf, pickle ball, tennis, softball, etc. We both play water volleyball and I do yoga. We have dogs. We have a Class A Motorhome. Any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Bea PA wrote:
We like Mission the best, less wind, anyone who says no activities hasn't been to the valley, we danced every day, love to ride the bikes and play volleyball. Haven't been down for 3 years, miss it. Our favorite park is Benson Palms beside the wildlife park, nice place to ride the bikes. We have stayed at Victoria, Rockport and, Harlingen, but like the Mission area the best. Mc Allen is nice if you are going in to Progresso much ,but we don't mind the drive.

It is Bentsen Palm Village Resort, there is another park in the area named Bentsen Palm that is older with much smaller sites.
pawatt

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We like Mission the best, less wind, anyone who says no activities hasn't been to the valley, we danced every day, love to ride the bikes and play volleyball. Haven't been down for 3 years, miss it. Our favorite park is Benson Palms beside the wildlife park, nice place to ride the bikes. We have stayed at Victoria, Rockport and, Harlingen, but like the Mission area the best. Mc Allen is nice if you are going in to Progresso much ,but we don't mind the drive.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked in at Lakewood RV Resort in Harlingen. Went out for a bike ride and suddenly had 2 dogs on my tail. Turns out this area is alittle rough and I see dogs in everyoneโ€™s back yard...these 2 were loose. Rules out this park for future snowbirding as I don,t feel safe now, With regard to the parks recommended and maybe new ones, can anyone recommend a park with safe access to either designated bike trails or an area with sidewalks? I like to bike to the store and a few restaurants, post office, bank etc. Will have to use the car for all errands in this neighborhood. Here for 10 days for the first time in RGV. A few years away from retirement, This park is only 2-3 miles from all the major shopping in Harlingen.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
crhope wrote:
I would like to get opinions on which 55+ communities are the best in the RGV. We are in our early sixties. Husband plays golf, pickle ball, tennis, softball, etc. We both play water volleyball and I do yoga. We have dogs. We have a Class A Motorhome. Any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

We go to the Mission Bell RV Park in the RGV. We love it. There are many activities and many Concerts. Mission Bell hosts the Valley Star Music Awards Show every Year. We have great Managers. Scott and Cynthia are the best!
God Bless!

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
crhope,

I suggest that you look at the RV sites before you choose one. There are a number of different types of sites. My suggestion is either the pull thru sites or the newer sites just south of the pull thrus. Many people (including me) like to have their awning on the north side of the RV so they are protected from the sun. This is more important when the sun is lower in the sky (winter)......... but awning location is a factor to think about.

Many of the activities you may want to attend will be in McAllen which is 10 miles away. During the winter season the resort is humming with people and activities, but quiet in the summer.

I can give you suggestions as to shopping, etc if you like.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

crhope
Explorer
Explorer
To Alfred May:
We are going to Victoria Palms mid June for a month (great rate) and we may sign an annual lease. The people we have spoken to at VP are very nice. We will also look around at other parks in the area and decide which we like the best. VP sounds very nice though and during the winter they have a lot of activities. Thank for the youtube link. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
RVG? Rio Grand Valley?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
It depends what you are looking for as to whether or not you will like some of the higher end RV resorts in the RGV. We are at Victoria Palms for the winter. My wife is constantly on the go doing things. Neither of us has been to a Happy Hour in years....... just too much to do at the RV park and in the mid valley area. What many people do not know is that the population of the RGV is now over one million on the American side and two million on the Mexican side.

Take a look at the Victoria Palms video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs467-KZNtM
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bunch of old people might live at a community like that....
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, you are too active for most the parks in the RGV unless you're heavy into happy hour. Almost all the parks are setup for park models and year round stays which is great for the older crowd. As someone once said to me when I was thinking about going there, expect to age 10 years.

Check out South Padre Island in the lower RGV. You can only leave a rig there for no more then 6 months. This forces those snowbirds into being more mobile. Down side to SPI is the salt damage to the rig can become an issue after a few winters.

Texas is a big state as you know. Best thing to do is be mobile until you find what fits.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
You've posted this in 5 forums! Have you read the rules?

Are there rules against posting in more than one forum?

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Fun n Sun RV Resort in San Benito has all the amenities that you have listed and so much more. Suggest you have a look.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I also suggest looking at Green Gate Grove. Also Victoria Palms, Casa de Valle in Alamo, Llano Grande and so many more. Do you have a RV or looking to rent?
pawatt

BoatingWilly
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting a few is a good idea. We are in Green Gate Grove in Mission and really enjoy it. I suggest you check the website.