Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

coiling methods for 30 amp cord and fresh water hoses

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVing.

I'm really looking for devices other RVer's are using to keep them coiled up and take up as little space as possible.
When its cold out side it can be a bear to coil them up and I had seen a posting somewhere showing different storage methods people used to keep the hoses and power cables neat and tightly wound up.

Home depot has flat fresh water hoses but their not in a holder/device that you could reel it up and the one I had seen before online was over $145.

Of course the power cable from the RV is connected at one end to the RV so it would be difficult to find a way to easily roll it up on a device of some sort.

2006 Lexington 283GTS
31 REPLIES 31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
clicky for PB

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=96153&email=BILLVAU@YAHOO.COM&affiliateid=6...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

THenne1713
Explorer
Explorer
On the shoreline power, just push it into compartment (2ft at a time), and it will hopefully come back out without the tangling that you WILL experience if you coil it.

Mike Leslie wrote:
Interested in the various ways myself. I have used those long bendable rods (like a giant twist tie). But interested to hear of other ways.

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
don't know if you're still looking, but this came in email ad this morning.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=96153&email=BILLVAU@YAHOO.COM&affiliateid=6416&rewrote&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6416
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
We've always had pegboard and a "garage" in the back so hung up our cords and such.

Our NTU TT is all storage compartments, so likely will be trying the bucket ideas, thanks!

I like that larger compartment door for the power cord. Ours is now longer and seems to be tangling up inside. Maybe it is just twisted and we have to work that out?

But it might give us more inside room as we looked to modify the area for more storage.

Thanks for the pics!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I have a 50 amp cord and I know what you are saying. What I have found is if I lay the hose or cord out flat in my drive way in the sun then make coils about a ft in dia and put a very slight twist in each coil so each coil lays flat to the one underneath. I then store the hose with the ends connected and the 50 amp cord plugged into the genset (no transfer switch) it will take a permanent set. When cold weather comes I unplug the male end and keep the coils in the line by not allowing the end to twist. This way it easily coils back up the same way. I don't use any cable ties to store cord or hose.

Well I also have a 50 amp cable, but tamed the Python a while back with SO cable.
Below is 40' of 6/4 SO cable in a three gallon bucket, the hand is only for scale.

Do you use the bucket to just "tame" the cord or do you use the bucket store it that way also?

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Thanks for making the pictures show, Pianotuna! Didn't know that extra step!

Bill

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
I have a 50 amp cord and I know what you are saying. What I have found is if I lay the hose or cord out flat in my drive way in the sun then make coils about a ft in dia and put a very slight twist in each coil so each coil lays flat to the one underneath. I then store the hose with the ends connected and the 50 amp cord plugged into the genset (no transfer switch) it will take a permanent set. When cold weather comes I unplug the male end and keep the coils in the line by not allowing the end to twist. This way it easily coils back up the same way. I don't use any cable ties to store cord or hose.

Well I also have a 50 amp cable, but tamed the Python a while back with SO cable.
Below is 40' of 6/4 SO cable in a three gallon bucket, the hand is only for scale.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
pastorbillv wrote:
per my previous posts, I finally got the pictures up!

Using my photo site, I created a folder to share pictures with. Hopefully, I got the public access right, so you can see these!

When you copy the url for the pic, click on the pic/mountain button above the posting area and then paste your pic's link there. It will make it click-able ๐Ÿ˜‰

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
LifeInsideJack wrote:
plethora of nonsense I probably will never need but I carry anyway.

Ain't that the truth!

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Pastorbillv, thanks for going the extra mile that looks great but I don't have enough room in my class C+ storage areas for it.

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
per my previous posts, I finally got the pictures up!

Using my photo site, I created a folder to share pictures with. Hopefully, I got the public access right, so you can see these!

Here's a picture of the compartment with the cord fully extended:
https://billv.smugmug.com/Other/Online-pic-sharing/i-KJnR6KH/A

Then, by merely pushing the cord into the compartment, it coils as you see in this picture:

https://billv.smugmug.com/Other/Online-pic-sharing/i-TKxdBVK/A

In a previous post, I put the dimensions. I believe the numbers I posted were:

15 inches wide (right-to-left in the pictures)
8.5 inches deep (front-to-back in the pictures)
11.5 inches high (bottom-to-top)

The receptacle you see in the back of the box is for an EXTRA cord. The cord that is coiling is hardwired into the top of the box.

Hope this helps!
Bill

LifeInsideJack
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I feel out of place here now. I just shove the cord into the little compartment it comes out of next to the generator. For the water hose I just grab it and shove it into the next compartment down from the electrical cord. I keep the water hose wrapped with pool noodles (desert dweller) so those just get shoved into the back storage compartment next to the plethora of nonsense I probably will never need but I carry anyway.
Our website: www.lifeinsidejack.com

Our Motto: Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III