cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane 3 burner camp stove.

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to replace my existing 3 burner propane (2) 12000 btu & (1) 9000 btu.
I'd like to find a 3 burner with @ 20000 btu each. I've used 2 different camp chef pro 90's and have concluded that they're fine for cooking for a small army but are overkill for a young family of 5.
Camp chef ranger III looks good except I can't get anyone here in Canada (Cabelas or Bass Pro) to bring them in.
I've found one online supplier that says they'll ship one. Wondering if anyone has any other stove suggestions.
Tia.
IMHO
6 REPLIES 6

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
pinesman wrote:
I have the Camp Chef Ranger III. I love it but it will not hold 3 twelve inch pots. I routinely put on 3 nine inch lodge skillets but that size is hard to find. At home I use it with 2 large pressure canners for home canning

Does the unit have full range knobs like a home stove and how many people do you normally cook for?

My core camping group consists of 5-6 people so find that a 2 burner works best for me in conjunction with the fire pit or charcoal grill if needed. Truth be known the last few camping seasons I barely used my stove but that might just be a cooking phase I'm going through. Probably the only time I really want to use it is for soups or boiling hot water for the morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

It does have full range knobs. Most of the time there are just three of us but sometimes there are 5-6. If the group gets much bigger than that, I add my coleman stove to the mix

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
I have the Camp Chef Ranger III. I love it but it will not hold 3 twelve inch pots. I routinely put on 3 nine inch lodge skillets but that size is hard to find. At home I use it with 2 large pressure canners for home canning

Does the unit have full range knobs like a home stove and how many people do you normally cook for?

My core camping group consists of 5-6 people so find that a 2 burner works best for me in conjunction with the fire pit or charcoal grill if needed. Truth be known the last few camping seasons I barely used my stove but that might just be a cooking phase I'm going through. Probably the only time I really want to use it is for soups or boiling hot water for the morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I use an old green Coleman 2 burner that I have had for years, I converted it to LP with an adapter that I bought it works fine for us, I also use the griddle on top of the burners and can cook a lot of bacon etc. or several things at once. I carry a separate LP tank for that or my grill.

Me as well except I haven't converted it to propane.

What I would look for were I to purchase a new propane stove:

Enough space in between each burner to hold a 10"-12" skillet/pot. Based on the dimensions given and the visuals, it seems the CC Ranger III can only hold two 12" and maybe something between a 4"-6" at one time. Putting it another way.....take a look at the Bass Pro linked above and view the space between the burners. Much better in that respect.

Burner knobs that allow a full 360 degree range of flame as opposed to preset or quarter settings. Can't tell how the Ranger series operates on this level.

A propane hookup located at the back of the unit so that counter space can be used w/o the piping crossing the top. The Ranger's gas portal is on the side.

A smaller amt of BTUs on at least one burner so that items that only need re heating don't burn if you aren't watching the pots constantly. Also wastes less fuel. The Ranger III has three burners each w/ an output of 17,500 BTUs.

A built in wind guard would be useful although you can gerrymander one w/ ease; the Ranger has none.

Quality construction w/ easy to replace parts. Looks like this CC line has that under control.

HTH.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
the finest camp stove I've ever owned/used is the Bass Pro Shops 2-Burner High Output Propane Stove (link below).... as can be seen in the specs given in the link, it has two 25,000 BTU burners .... if they put out a three burner stove with these burners, I'd certainly consider it .... this stove has the heat to quickly boil a large pot of water, yet the heat can be adjusted down to simmer .... cooking in windy conditions is no issue

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-2Burner-High-Output-Propane-Stove/product/14021209112320/
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old green Coleman 2 burner that I have had for years, I converted it to LP with an adapter that I bought it works fine for us, I also use the griddle on top of the burners and can cook a lot of bacon etc. or several things at once. I carry a separate LP tank for that or my grill.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game