cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip from MA to Asseteague/Ocean City MD

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WE are first time users of this MH but have been RVers since 1999. Going from MA ( Norwood) to Ocean State MD to a RV park. WANT to hear from those in the know who travel this route whether we should go 95 and GW bridge or TappenZee bridge. WE are traveling with others who we are meeting in New Haven CT and stopping and meeting at exit 56 truck stop on 95 to refuel and meet. So not sure if I can take RT 84 to 15 to 91 down to 95 and not be past exit 56? Also whether from there should we continue on 95 and go over GW bridge or get on to 287 and somehow get down to NJ turnpike and back to 95 to avoid traffic and construction etc. Thoughts??? We are leaving this coming week during the morning, meeting in New Haven and then we will be two rigs going down. They are staying on the mainland in MD and we are going down to Ocean City so we split at that point.
THOUGHTS MUCH WELCOMED.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
24 REPLIES 24

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
Clioudriver The GSP gpes all the way to Cape May? So I could take that up to 287? And be safe since would 287 be close to exit 105? Will get some better maps. Have a great GPS Garmin 760 RV BUT it takes me over 95 and not sure how to tell it I do not want to go over I 95 or GW bridge to avoid etc.

RVER - Yes the Garden State Parkway goes all the way down to Cape May. If you take the ferry from Lewes to Cape May it's maybe 3-4 miles to the parkway entrance. We are at exit 105 and the exit for 440/287 is at exit 127, 22 miles north of us. I described the exit in my post in your other thread.

If you decide to use I295 to I195 to the NJ Turnpike coming north you will use Turnpike exit 10 for I287 west.

We also have the Garmin 760 RV GPS but I also carry paper maps for rough route planning. If the GPS doesn't want to take me the way I want to go, I find a town along the route I want to take and set it as my destination, so that the GPS will give me the route I want including local road turns, highway exits and lane guidance. Once I'm on the route I want, I can set a new destination further ahead that keeps me on the desired route. I believe there is a way to set up a desired route on the Garmin, but I have never used it.

I have found the lane guidance on the Garmin 760 very helpful when the Interstate and other major roads merge and split.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking the Lewes to Cape May Ferry then GSP up til we can get to 287 and then that over and up to 684 to 84 and to 90(Mass Pike). HOPE it all works to get home safe and sound., great trip, even dry camped in a welcome center with many trucks and a friend and her RV. Thanks for all the help. LOVE the journey!
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WE did see the NASA installation when we went to Chincoteague in VA. WE did not go in however since it was the weekend!!
S and S Co-Travelers

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
You mentioned going to Assateague in the entry line, something else there besides the wild horses is the NASA facility at Wallops Island.
They have a launch coming up on May 2 might be an interesting side trip for you.

You might be confusing the VA side of Assateague via Chincoteague which is about an hour away from the MD side of Assateague near OC. By boat it's a few minutes, by car/RV they are about an hour apart. There is a MD and VA side of Assateague IS. Wallops is on the Chincoteague side and you have to go through Chincoteague to get to the VA side of Assateague.
2013 ACE 29.2

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Found my own answer on hazmat. For a RV, less than 220# for a single container, or 440# combined is not a hazmat. With the warning to check just before you go because the rules change.

Maybe we will go up through Jersey next time we go to Maine, to view the city.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Consider timing your trip to be on the Jersey Pike in the dark. NYC is beautiful all lit up. A little Urban view, best seen from afar.

Does NYC currently make you detour around the apartments over the Cross Bronx just north of the GW if you have propane? If so avoid the GW and the hazmat route. Its been 30 years since I pulled a trailer with a single pony bottle of acetylene. Way back then, they changed the rules every time a new guy was in charge of the fire department. Sometimes under the apartments, sometimes down through the city.

Another vote for 301 down the Delmarva. I like it better than the Ferry. In fact do one down and the other back.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Clioudriver The GSP gpes all the way to Cape May? So I could take that up to 287? And be safe since would 287 be close to exit 105? Will get some better maps. Have a great GPS Garmin 760 RV BUT it takes me over 95 and not sure how to tell it I do not want to go over I 95 or GW bridge to avoid etc.
S and S Co-Travelers

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE Ferry

Schedules and fares

Tappan Zee to GSP to Cape May Ferry to 113 to 50.

Nice 70 minute break during the ferry trip.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
What is the DelMarVanis NHIRISH?
S and S Co-Travelers

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
I avoid NYC at all costs, for the most part. Definitely take the Tappan Zee Bridge, then Garden State Parkway South. As for the height on the GSP, there are a couple of overpasses with arches with low heights, but ONLY on the extreme right and/or left lanes. If you stay in the center lanes, you'll be fine. They are clearly marked.

The Tappan Zee Bridge is toll free going westbound, which is what you will be doing. The so-called low bridges on the Garden State Parkway are between about exits 135 and 150, which IMO is in the northern part of the Parkway. Stay away from the far right and left lanes in that section and you will have no worry about height. We are near exit 105 and trucks are allowed on the parkway south of that exit. From where we live it is about 70 miles less driving to take the ferry rather than driving west to take the bridge to Delaware, then drive back east again. The ferry is expensive, but we like it anyway. Check the link in my previous post for price and schedule.

The NJ Turnpike is also I95. As already mentioned, you can avoid some Turnpike tolls getting off the Turnpike at exit 7A to I195 toward Trenton for a few miles, then I295 south to rejoin the Turnpike just before the bridge into Delaware. Shortly after the bridge pick up Delaware route 1 to Milford then route 113 south to route 50 to Ocean City. See map below.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I avoid NYC at all costs, for the most part. Definitely take the Tappan Zee Bridge, then Garden State Parkway South. As for the height on the GSP, there are a couple of overpasses with arches with low heights, but ONLY on the extreme right and/or left lanes. If you stay in the center lanes, you'll be fine. They are clearly marked.

Have a great trip.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
We are going on Tuesday. Jim Norman so you took 95 and NOT the NJTPK We are not towing a car(we will rent down there) In Delaware you are saying to take RT ! but not the US RT 1, sounds confusing two RT 1s. Stay away from Rt 113 due to traffic etc THANKS for that! So take RT 1 down to RT50. WHY would I not be able to get on PA side for the free bridge at Scudders Falls?

You ca get to Scudders Falls, but it will be a significant detour. if you are heading down the NJTPK from the GW. The TPK intersects 295 at Rt195. Scudders Falls adds about 30 minutes and 25 miles to your trip if you get off the TPK at Rt 195. Since you are not towing, your toll will only be $10 on the DelMem Bridge. That being the case I'd still get off the NJTPK and finish the trip on 295. You still save tolls, but don't add miles.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live not far from New Haven, the GWB is the most direct route and the quickest route with no tolls over the bridge going south. Coming north it is very expensive. The trick to avoid traffic is to travel on Sat or Sun or during the week very early. If you get to the bridge by 6:00 AM you will be fine. Going north I usually take 84 over the Newburg Bridge(about $8 toll) into CT.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on Tuesday. Jim Norman so you took 95 and NOT the NJTPK We are not towing a car(we will rent down there) In Delaware you are saying to take RT ! but not the US RT 1, sounds confusing two RT 1s. Stay away from Rt 113 due to traffic etc THANKS for that! So take RT 1 down to RT50. WHY would I not be able to get on PA side for the free bridge at Scudders Falls?
S and S Co-Travelers