cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use a wireless backup camera on their trailer?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
In Missouri it's legal to triple town.....so I'm thinking about pulling a small single axle ATV trailer behind my 20ft long travel trailer.

Just in order to see what's going on back there....I've thought about installing one of those wireless backup camera kits you can get off of Amazon for around $50....and just leave it on all the time. Has anyone used one of these? From what I can see....you just mount the camera on the license plate bracket of my travel trailer, give it 12v power, and the transmitter sends the signal to the receiver in the cab of the truck that's hooked to the small little monitor. I figured that way I could at least keep an eye on the ATV trailer....and if I ever have to back the thing up....it might help out.

Are there any that are better or worse than the rest? Any info would be great. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I tried attaching links but am to dumb to get them to work.

I got the idea and what parts to use from a thread buried somewhere in these forums. All are available on Amazon. Here's what you needed.
1. WishRing Wifi Car Backup Camera Realtime Video Transmitter for iPhone HTC Android 903W $37.99
2. Esky EC170-08 Waterproof Night Vision HD CMOS 170ยฐViewing Field Car Rear View Backup Camera $26.99
3. Electop 10 Pack Audio Video RCA Female to Female Coupler Adapter Gold (only needed 1) $5.99

I patched into some 12vDC and connected a switch to the transmitter. Before traveling I flip the switch on. The Wifi transmitter can be monitored on any smart phone by using the WIFIAV app. Open the app, select the WIFI signal, change the name to make it unique, and poof... the picture shows up on your phone, or tablet, or computer, or whatever you used. I use an old 6 inch tablet.

Although the connection and picture was ok, I saw occasional interference... so I moved the transmitter closer to the cab, I needed:
4. HitCar RCA DC Power Audio Video AV Extension Cable for CCTV Security, Car Tuck Bus Trailer Reverse Parking Camera (10 Meters) $10.95
5. Electop 10 Pack Audio Video RCA Female to Female Coupler Adapter Gold (only needed 1) $5.99
6.Shintop 100pcs Adhesive Cable Clips Cable Drop Clamp for Car, Home, Office (Black) $8.99

2 Lessons Learned.
First, if you install the camera the way the mounting bracket wants you to the picture is upside down. Use an allen wrench and turn the bracket over. I put mine high on the back of my Montana.
Second, the camera does have those green yellow and red back up lines. I just ignore them because I don't know just how accurate they'd be for a fiver. I imagine there's a camera out there without the lines but never looked.

Hope this helps.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
djgodden wrote:
I made my own wireless camera from parts on Amazon. Total was about $60 and works great.

More info please!!!

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Although my Sprinter is fairly narrow, I pull a motorcycle trailer with a 4' wide bed. As you can imagine, when backing, the trailer can get quite an angle to travel before it shows up in my side mirrors. In your experiences, would a wireless camera placed on the trailer improve the ability to back it? Would the camera work best placed on the rear of the trailer or closer to the hitch?

I would think the better perch for the camera would be high on the rear of the Sprinter.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same as atwowheelguy does.

I was having reception problems with it on the rear of my 40' CC.

Solved the problem by adding 8' antenna extension and 30' of coaxial wire from rvcams.com

I would not want a smaller screen.

Works great now! Won't leave home without it!

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own wireless camera from parts on Amazon. Total was about $60 and works great.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Although my Sprinter is fairly narrow, I pull a motorcycle trailer with a 4' wide bed. As you can imagine, when backing, the trailer can get quite an angle to travel before it shows up in my side mirrors. In your experiences, would a wireless camera placed on the trailer improve the ability to back it? Would the camera work best placed on the rear of the trailer or closer to the hitch?
Currently Between RVs

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I had one with a wireless 2.5 Ghz transmitter. Terrible! Big trucks, radio towers and power lines interfered with it. Very poor image when it did work. Hard wired with. Piece of RG6 coax cable and perfect video quality. Dry helpfull on the road and backing into campsite
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
This one works well. Good, strong signal always. Mine is about three years old. Apparently the newest model has a smaller monitor. I think this older, larger monitor is still available. I estimate that the distance from the camera to monitor is 40 ft.

https://youtu.be/0E42rZexdE0

https://youtu.be/lk0oxZ4A9EU

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Be careful about the range of the signal. I have one, and it reaches from the back of my 21 foot TT to the dash of my SUV. But not much further. And that's only because I put the camera in the back, but the transmitter is midships, near the only 12 volt outlet, maybe 25 feet apart at most. Those signals will not penetrate much in the way of glass and steel and fiberglass and stuff.