cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Suggestions on San francisco visit

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Will be doing a tourist visit in SF and would like a suggestion for a safe public place to park and use public transportation. I don't like to drive a truck camper around in any city. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
25 REPLIES 25

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Mike and Terry Ann wrote:
A short updated on the trip. First day parked the camper at the Presido to do the GG bridge. Camped at Marin RV Park ( nice place) and a short walk to Ferry. Used the Clipper pass for the Ferry and got a bus pass at the ferry station. Still ended up driving thru city when going south over the GG Bridge. We had a nice trip, Thanks all for the advice.

Right on. That is the way we do it! Glad you folks had a "nice trip". Yes, the Marin RV Park is nice.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
A short updated on the trip. First day parked the camper at the Presido to do the GG bridge. Camped at Marin RV Park ( nice place) and a short walk to Ferry. Used the Clipper pass for the Ferry and got a bus pass at the ferry station. Still ended up driving thru city when going south over the GG Bridge. We had a nice trip, Thanks all for the advice.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Just one other thing, check out the news stories regarding BART just recently BART was in the news, its worth being aware of your surroundings and being very careful when using BART.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
You can check it out, but in Vallejo (across the river from Mare Island Naval Shipyard) there is a Ferry that goes to Pier 39 in san francisco. That takes you to the tourist area with no driving in the city. https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/sffb/vallejo
Tradewinds RV park in Vallejo and there is a RV park in Napa CA also.
We tend to stay away from San Francisco, there are so many other places that are more interesting and safer to us.

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
Set up an Uber (or Lyft) account, too.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited SF we were in our "B" - about 23' length. Parking garage at Fisherman's Wharf (only as point of reference) - across the street is an outside lot where we were able to find a place where we fit just fine. Sorry, don't know the names... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you all for the good suggestions I will used them. Got a little disappointed yesterday, I was talking to a guy on the south rim and he told me that the coast road around Big Sur was closed due to a mud slide. The bad news is we were going down that road but the good news is we weren't on the road.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
When I kept my sailboat at Oyster Point Marina in South San Francisco, CA, San Mateo county allowed you to park or stay overnight for 3 days (72 hours) for free at the marina, before you had to move on. One of the assistant harbor masters used his TC to stay there for his shifts. You can call the harbor master office and confirm that it is still permissible to stay or park overnight for 72 hours in the marina.

You park in the gravel lot which is fairly level (37.662357, -122.3764304). The paved lot above it is more sloped.

Since I left the Bay Area, they have added a Ferry terminal at the Marina that you can use to tour the bay, go to SF or Oakland (Jack London Square) and completely avoid the traffic on the road during the weekdays. A short taxi ride of about 2.5 miles to the CalTrain Station in SSF, or about 5 miles to the SSF Bart station will get you into SF on the weekends.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SF is huge area and even 10 years is not enough to explore all interesting places.
But this is where I always take my friends. I go to the City only on weekends as weekday will leave you with lot of views of rear bumpers.
Barely known the pictured street is right next to famous Lombard stretch.
When the zigzagging block of Lombard looks good on the picture, the block away street leaves more thrills. Friend were afraid to open the car door on lower side in fear the car will start rolling.
DON'T DRIVE THERE WITH TRUCK CAMPER !!!!!!!!

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
When you're finished touring the city (we lived in the Bay Area for 10 + years), head out to Point Reyes and enjoy the lighthouse and the shore. Closer to the city, is Stinson Beach, then head up Hwy 101 towards Mendocino.

Yep and you could stay a day or two across from Point Reyes in Lawsons Landing...

There are some great places to see along the 101 or 1 route north!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When you're finished touring the city (we lived in the Bay Area for 10 + years), head out to Point Reyes and enjoy the lighthouse and the shore. Closer to the city, is Stinson Beach, then head up Hwy 101 towards Mendocino.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
So from the two above posts the have provided more insight into why I said...

Walk to the Ferry... Ride it over, a great ride! Figure out what you want to do and go see the sights... For the things to see and do on the north end of the bay just take your TC. It is easy to get around and park.... Then you could go up to wine country... Healdsberg and West Side Road... or over to Sonoma for wine country.

Also there is a great exhibit in Sausalito. It is called the Bay Model... It is a huge building with the whole SF Bay and all the rivers that feed it.

http://www.oursausalito.com/fun-sausalito-activities/bay-model.html

Jim

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Treasure Island in South San Fran, right by the BART station. A decent park -- just a parking lot with hookups -- but it served the purpose. Taking any vehicle, except maybe a motorcyle, into San Francisco itself is not fun -- very congested, very hard to find parking. South San Fran is much more suburban -- easy to get to.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."