cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

X chock vs ONEstep chock

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for advice from people that have used one or the other (or preferably both) of these products. We are trying to decide between X-Chocks and the Fastway ONEstep chock.

Our objective is to stop the rocking back and forth between the tires. Can anyone offer real world advice from the ONEstep style chock? Do they prevent the majority of the rocking from the tires? It appears as though you set the distance on the ONEstep one time and it never changes. Does that actually work, or do you need to re-tighten them after the tires cool?

My in-laws have x-chocks... they are great except that you need to snug them up after your tires cool and one set of wheels is underneath the slide out. I'm not really looking forward to crawling underneath the slide out. I'm also a little concerned about over tightening the chocks and possibly damaging the tires.

The prices are comparable between the two. I know that X-chocks are the more popular product. If the ONEstep's are a comparable product, they seem easier to use and less likely to over tighten and damage the tires.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS
40 REPLIES 40

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
I can't see how the Fastway chocks would be superior to X-chocks (providing they're tightened) to prevent motion inside. Doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective.

I never said its SUPERIOR, I simply said that they both seem to reduce interior motion about the same. I simply chose the ONEstep because I prefer that technology and I'd prefer to not have to retighten after the tires cool. I'm not bashing X-Chocks by any means. It seems like a great product.

The X-Chock uses opposing force against the tires to prevent them from rolling fore and aft.

The ONEstep uses opposing force against the tires to prevent them from rolling fore and aft.

The only difference is that the X-Chock is mounted between the tires and off the ground, whereas the ONEstep is mounted between the tires and on the ground. The front tire can't roll back, because it would roll UPHILL against the chock. The front tire can't roll forward, because it would roll UPHILL against the chock. These aren't just rubber chocks you drop loosely behind the tire... they are tightened against the tires, preventing them from rolling even a slight amount.

I'm not an engineer, heck... I've never even been on a real train before... but its obvious how they work and its obvious that they DO work.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
This forum is funny in a way that sometimes posters only hear what they want to hear and conveniently tune out anything else.

I've noticed that too...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have been using X-chocks for over 5 years. Have NEVER ever once found them to get loose after they've cooled down and that's in temps from around freezing up to around 110F. I tighten them up nice and snug. I must be doing something wrong (sigh)??

I can't see how the Fastway chocks would be superior to X-chocks (providing they're tightened) to prevent motion inside. Doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective. I think the reason that BAL has the statement about not using them as a parking brake is because how do you put into words how to tighten the X-chocks enough for the average Joe camper. Can't expect owners to use a torque wrench.

If we were camping on a steep site, which we never have been and likely never will be, I'd want something better than X-chocks or the Fastway chocks.

My method of reducing motion inside starts with the strong HD frame we have, then X-chocks, BAL lock-arm struts at the rear and Torklift Glowsteps. Very little movement inside and anyone is welcome to come to a CG we're at and try it. The electric "stabilizer" jacks are next to useless for stabilizing. The tongue jack reduces movement, although may not be much but you can add re-enforcement to it on the underside of the coupler/A-frame and use a larger pad. A pair of jacks ahead of the axles did very little to help and don't bother now after a few uses of them. One of our top mods/upgrades has been the "stabilizer" stabilizing struts.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
This forum is funny in a way that sometimes posters only hear what they want to hear and conveniently tune out anything else.
It's not just this thread but happens on lots of threads.
Can I tow a monster toy hauler with a Ford Ranger? After 10 no way replies, someone will respond of course I tow a monster toy hauler with a Ford ranger all the time and the OP will respond back I thought so.
In this case others have said the products are not the same . The manufacturer says they are not the same, However in typical fashion the OP tunes out the naysayers and focuses only on those who agree.
By the way I am from MD and I don't think they are the same. I have used both products.
My current RV has JT Strongarms on it. I believe they provide more stability than the X-Chocks and certainly more than the one Step. I sold my X-Chocks on craigs-list.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
eb145 wrote:
Spoon,

Back on topic...

I have used both X Chocks and the Fastway OneStep.

I now use only the Fastway Onestep.

I found they both stopped the rocking motion about the same.

Ed

Finally, someone else, besides me, who's used both and came to the same conclusion. Based on our real-life experiences, both are about the same. I don't care that the one-step is marketed as a chock, but it also serves to lock the wheels in place as do the x-chocks. And with both, the RV will still move a bit.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience too. Must be a Maryland thing... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Spoon,

Back on topic...

I have used both X Chocks and the Fastway OneStep.

I now use only the Fastway Onestep.

I found they both stopped the rocking motion about the same.

The Fastway is much faster and easier to use. DW even uses them.

The Fastway also stops the trailer from rolling - it is a real safety wheel chock. (The X chocks are not to be used as safety chocks)

I gave my X chocks to a friend last month that just bought a new TT. They were gathering dust in my garage.

Ed

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I've also been considering these products. I often come out of these threads more confused than when I started them and this one is no different........:h

I think there are some people here in desperate need of a camping trip. I have tried the X-Chocks, my in-laws have them. They worked great, stopped the majority of the rocking (foreward and aft rotation of the tires when people move inside) in the camper. It didn't feel like a house on a foundation, but it felt much better.

I didn't like that the X-Chocks require re-tightening after the tires cool. My slide is over the tires and I am tall. It was a pain in the neck (especially on gravel or wet sites) to climb underneath and tighten the X-chocks again.

I've seen the ONEsteps and they appear to accomplish the same task, preventing the fore and aft rotation of tires. They don't require adjustment when the tires cool. They were also a little cheaper AND serve as actual chocks.

I used the ONEstep this weekend and it felt great. It stopped the majority of the fore and aft rotation, very much like the X-Chocks did. I couldn't feel the dogs walking around when I was in bed. A trip to the bathroom didn't wake up the kids. It accomplished every thing I hoped that it would. I was very pleased with the ONEstep chocks. You have to get them snug against the tires to prevent them from rocking/rolling, but they worked great.

Again... I've tested these against the X-Chocks on the exact same trailer, exact same family, exact same dogs, exact same camp site. The end result was just about the EXACT SAME.

Hopefully camping season starts soon and some of these winter time arguers will find something else to occupy their time.

Excellent; thank you for the clarification. The tires on my trailer are covered by slides on both sides so I don't think the X-Chocks would be good for me either.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As long as you're happy we are all satisfied too!
The only person you have to convince that the One step does both functions is yourself.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
I've also been considering these products. I often come out of these threads more confused than when I started them and this one is no different........:h

I think there are some people here in desperate need of a camping trip. I have tried the X-Chocks, my in-laws have them. They worked great, stopped the majority of the rocking (foreward and aft rotation of the tires when people move inside) in the camper. It didn't feel like a house on a foundation, but it felt much better.

I didn't like that the X-Chocks require re-tightening after the tires cool. My slide is over the tires and I am tall. It was a pain in the neck (especially on gravel or wet sites) to climb underneath and tighten the X-chocks again.

I've seen the ONEsteps and they appear to accomplish the same task, preventing the fore and aft rotation of tires. They don't require adjustment when the tires cool. They were also a little cheaper AND serve as actual chocks.

I used the ONEstep this weekend and it felt great. It stopped the majority of the fore and aft rotation, very much like the X-Chocks did. I couldn't feel the dogs walking around when I was in bed. A trip to the bathroom didn't wake up the kids. It accomplished every thing I hoped that it would. I was very pleased with the ONEstep chocks. You have to get them snug against the tires to prevent them from rocking/rolling, but they worked great.

Again... I've tested these against the X-Chocks on the exact same trailer, exact same family, exact same dogs, exact same camp site. The end result was just about the EXACT SAME.

Hopefully camping season starts soon and some of these winter time arguers will find something else to occupy their time.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I used the word rocking to describe the back and forth movement of the wheels/tires as people move inside. The X-Chocks and ONEstep both work to stop the rotation of the tires, drastically reducing the feeling of movement inside the camper.

The Fastway ONEstep and BAL Standard Tire Locking Chock both chock adjacent tires exactly the same, the only difference being the method of tightening the chock faces against the tires.

Either will serve admirably to chock the tires and prevent the trailer from inadvertently shifting but neither will prevent rotational movement of the axles about their axis anywhere near as effectively as will a set of BAL X-Chocks which are designed specifically for that purpose. With a total of 8 separate contact points a set of two X-Chocks will significantly reduce this rotational movement, which is why those using these products correctly will use both - chocks to chock the trailer and X-Chocks to minimize rotational movement of the tires.

It's great you're happy with your Fastway ONEstep but it's erroneous to claim the Fastway ONEstep does the same job as the X-Chock. They're each different products designed to address different issues.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
All this fussin' and ain't nobody come close yet. Just have your DW or someone else drive a separate vehicle so they can pull a trailer filled with concrete cinder blocks and a bucket of wedges. Then when you get to where ya goin, spend the next 5 hours digging and leveling and jacking until the whole rig is sittin on blocks. It'll be solid as a rock. Don't worry, after you've done it a few times you'll get it down to 4 hours setup time ๐Ÿ˜‰
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
Lantly, your description of what an x-chock and other chocks will do is correct. But, the OP's original post asked which would stop rocking. As I said, neither stops rocking. Both help to eliminate wheel movement, but rocking still occurs at the axles, springs and shackles. Unless one has 4 or 6-pt leveling, movement will occur.

I used the word rocking to describe the back and forth movement of the wheels/tires as people move inside. The X-Chocks and ONEstep both work to stop the rotation of the tires, drastically reducing the feeling of movement inside the camper.

Its still a camper, I'm not trying to eliminate all movement... just reduce it enough to prevent us waking up the kids or the kids waking us up. I'm very satisfied with the result. The ONEstep happens to also serve as a chock and doesn't require adjustment after the tires cool.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS