cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to towing a dinghy so....

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to dive in and start towing our 1999 New Beetle.
Where do we start?
eTrailer shows we can use a Blue Ox, or a Roadmaster.
Any reason to choose one over the other?
(We will be towing with our 2008 Allegro Open Road FrED).
The Roadmaster _appears_ to be a simpler install (for the Beetle end of things).

Any tips or thoughts much appreciated.

Chip and Nancy and DanDan and LuLu and Ollie and BB King and Magic and Pharoah
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
5 REPLIES 5

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
beaubeau wrote:
Any reason to choose one over the other?

Chip,

While I cannot speak to either set-up on a Beetle, I have seen MANY installations of each on an a pre-2006 Miata.

On a pre-2006 Miata the Blue Ox baseplate mounts WITHIN the open grill of the car.

The Roadmaster tow bar attaches about 6" farther forward and about 6" above the location of the Blue Ox attachments.

A good friend had the Roadmaster baseplate on a 2003 and was towing it whith a Winnebage that had an EXTREAMELY long overhang (distance between the rear wheels and the tow hitch).

Rightly or wrongly, he did not use an auxillary brake system in his 2,200# Miata. No Brake Police please.....

During a 6 wheels locked-up and sliding emergency stop, as the RV rear went up, the car tried to dive under it. Because of the longer lever-arm, this resulted in the Roadmaster baseplate being bent down about 15 degrees.

Other than that one emergency, he never had an issue, but he removed the bent Roadmaster and installed a Blue Ox.

If you use a brake in the car, you would probably never have an issue, but I would look at how each of the baseplates mount to the car. Then get a tow bar of the same manufacturer as the baseplate.

Personally, I tow a 2012 Miata and use the Roadmaster baseplate on it and our 2011 Equinox.

Tim

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I second the get one that mounts on the rear of the motorhome. I used a blue ox adventa II with a brake buddy braking system.
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Any of the major brands. Look at each's installation and see what fits you. Looks like you have done this.
I would suggest a MH mounted tow bar. This will put most of the weight of the bar on the MH. The Roadmaster Falcon would be my choice for you.
After installation of brackets and tow bar, check height to make sure it is within the installed manufacturer's range. You may need to get a drop mount.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Whichever one is the simplest to attach to the car frame is the one I would go with. I've had both of them.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have Blue Ox and it is easy enough.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy