cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a new GPS

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a new GPS. We had an old GPS and the screen has died. Any recommendations?
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
25 REPLIES 25

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
That's a great idea as long as you have cell service. No cell service and no map or directions.

That isn't true. Google Maps provides maps and directions offline if you can prep for and anticipate where you'll lose cell services. There are many other smartphone solutions including TomTom, CoPilot and Sygic that work completely offline.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. We decided to stay with Garmin. Purchased Garmin RV 660 LMT GPS Navigator.

Great choice IMO.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. We decided to stay with Garmin. Purchased Garmin RV 660 LMT GPS Navigator. It will arrive Tues. Ordered it through B&H no tax and free 3 day shipping. We had an old garmin with a smaller screen that we had for many years. Hope this one is just as good.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
If your camper is bigger you might want a trucker GPS that way you dont have to worry about going down a road

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Garmin DezlCam LMTHD 6-Inch Truck Navigator.

It has all of the low height information, it constantly updates traffic, you can input your dimensions and weight for restricted areas, and it has a always on/looping camera that automatically saves 5 minutes before if an impact occurs.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Garmin, but make sure to get one with "lifetime map updates".

I don't believe Garmin sells any units anymore that don't offer lifetime updates.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3,095 mile round trip through 9 states using CoPilot RV and found it worked well. The live traffic feature was outstanding and helped us avoid some serious interstate traffic jams and was more accurate than the DOT signs we saw.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I just got the Garmin DriveSmart 50 NA LMT when Amazon had it for $138. Really nice and I can add many of the POIs and stuff from the RV GPS's. So far I like it a lot. Lifetime updates and traffic (without cell phone) as well as the bluetooth cell phone link to handle calls.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3000+ trip over 6 states using a new to us Garmin 760 and were very pleased with it. We talked to several other RVers using the same unit who were having similar results.
2004 Born Free class c

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin, but make sure to get one with "lifetime map updates".

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Some general thoughts....

The cell-phone apps (Google Maps, etc) do -not- include things like low overhead (overpasses) and propane restrictions (tunnels, etc).

CoPilot general aps sound good, but I heard nothing good from a beta-tester of their RV version.

The Rand RV-GPS family has the best built in campground directory, but after market POI can easily over come that.

The Garmin series has a solid rep for the best user-interface, plus a good campground directory (which we supplemented with some 3rd party POIs)

The current Garmin's have an option to display the upcoming road grade.

Models with live "traffic" can be very useful in Metro areas. Mine have rerouted me around really bad traffic issues a couple times
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

dedmiston
avvidclif1 wrote:
That's a great idea as long as you have cell service. No cell service and no map or directions.

Google Maps should cache the maps if you've already visited that route. I think Apple's Map app might do the same thing now too.

Navigon is an outstanding navigation app and it loads the maps onto your local device. You use the map loader function to pick the states that you want to load onto your device. I used Navigon for years and I was always satisfied. I stopped using it when I upgraded to a newer truck with a good nav system installed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of GPS programs for phones or tablets that don't require cell service/data connection. Just go look in the app store for your device.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Cell phone works great with Sygic's program. You'll need a phone that takes a SD memory card but the entire program in kept on the phone so cell service is not necessary. The coolest feature is the 'heads up' display that will reflect an image of an arrow on the windshield at night (when I usually am most in the need of directions) along with some other info. You can download the program for 14 day's free trial. Just search for Sygic. Will also work on a GPS equipped tablet.