cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for ProPride 3P/Hensley Arrow Owners

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a ProPride 3P hitch and I'm waiting on delivery. But I have a question for current owners. I understand how the hitch works and how good it is at preventing sway. I also know that you can prevent the unit "bumping" around during braking if you have the brakes properly adjusted.

My question pertains to descending a grade. Do you have any problem with the hitch trying to pivot right or left if you downshift on a grade? It seems the trailer would continue to move forward during a downshift and pivot to the side and "bump" you.

Thanks,

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
7 REPLIES 7

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my pro pride for 4 yrs pulling with a ram cummins and never folt this bump. I am a retired trucker with 40yrs of exp.

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a ProPride for 7 years now with the rig in my sig. I don't have an exhaust brake but I do down shift on hills. I have never felt the bump on hills.

I have felt the bump other times when the trailer brakes don't apply early enough while braking sort of hard. It's something that can be felt, but I can't say that it ever disrupted the truck or trailer. I don't even think my wife notices when it happens. It's that subtle.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 'bump' when I used my HA with my 12 Ram diesel. The problem was that with the exhaust brake in use the TT brakes aren't activated. So on occasion I'd get the bump when it came time to hit the brakes. Usually when least expecting it. I also used the HA with my 2010 F150 and very rarely ever had the bump.
I think some of it is attributed to the poor OEM Ram TBC. It's not very strong. If you slam the brakes it works great. It's when you apply the brakes more gently that the trailer brakes don't see to grab as well.
The F150 TBC was the best I've ever used.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I used ours for 3.5 years and never experienced bumping while going downhill using the engine and transmission as a brake (my truck did not have an exhaust brake).
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I never noticed any bumping. Keep doing what you have been in terms of gearing. The ProPride is a fantastic hitch. Worth every penny. If you don't have one, get a cordless drill to adjust the WD bar tension.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Let me post the following scenario to show why I'm having second thoughts about switching to one. I do a lot of mountain driving and frequently encounter downhill grades of 6-8% with many turns per mile. In most of these areas, you can overheat your brakes if you are frequently applying them. Normally, I'll gear way down in order to minimize or eliminate brake usage.

This seems like the worst case scenario for the Hensley designed hitch and would cause the hitch to bump back and forth with each opposite turn. Can anyone confirm that?

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never had that problem. Keep in mind there is still wind pressure against the front of the trailer helping to keep the hitch in tension. If you are worried about it, then just manually apply a bit of trailer brake when you downshift.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine