cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on folding entrance steps

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My TC don't have a rear step bumper, it's a pop up and I've been contemplating a set of fold up steps because it's a PITA to get into and out of with my always present step stool.

Anyone have any recommendations on what is best?

I see there are a number of brands available but I have no clue as to what is best, easiest to install, easiest to store and how sturdy they are.

Guess I need some first hand advice before making the purchase in as much as none are inexpensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
45 REPLIES 45

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Travels with Yoly wrote:
Our camper came with a set of the Glo-Steps. I didn't like the way they hung below the camper blocking the license plate. I also didn't care for the very narrow width steps, nor the movement of all the pivot pins in the assembly. We bought a Little Giant 3 step ladder. The steps are 9 inches wide and provide very sure footing. The top brace folds down out of the way obviously. Another large benefit of the step ladder is that it can be moved around the camper easily and used to access the components mounted above reach (such as fridge access, etc).
Little Giant Step Ladder

Where do your store the 'Little Giant while you are going down the road. Do you strap it over the back door or stow it in the camper itself?

Leaning hard toward one, a 3 step like you have. I like the idea of being able to use it for other tasks besides entering and exiting the camper.

Since it's just Yoly and I when we travel, we have no need for a back seat in the crew cab so I removed it and all the seat belt retractors so we have a large empty cavity for storage. We easily store our Honda EU2000, our 35 qt ARB freezer, our 10x10 pop up, reclining chairs and folding tables,dry goods, camera gear, tripods and a fairly large backpack for my Phantom 3. I lay the Little Giant on top of the pile so it can be accessed easily. I thought about making a fixture to secure it to the ladder but this way I can grab it instantly if we need it. I also drilled a hole in the Little Giant and installed a link that attaches a beefy bicycle cable lock attached to the receiver so no one can pick it up and walk off with it.

The cord you see on the floor is the 12vdc power for the ARB.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
Our camper came with a set of the Glo-Steps. I didn't like the way they hung below the camper blocking the license plate. I also didn't care for the very narrow width steps, nor the movement of all the pivot pins in the assembly. We bought a Little Giant 3 step ladder. The steps are 9 inches wide and provide very sure footing. The top brace folds down out of the way obviously. Another large benefit of the step ladder is that it can be moved around the camper easily and used to access the components mounted above reach (such as fridge access, etc).
Little Giant Step Ladder

Where do your store the 'Little Giant while you are going down the road. Do you strap it over the back door or stow it in the camper itself?

Leaning hard toward one, a 3 step like you have. I like the idea of being able to use it for other tasks besides entering and exiting the camper.
2015 Backpack SS1500

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
jefe,

Looks good. We have been driving around with ours all week now, just left in the hitch receiver.

When we park in a tight or otherwise busy parking lot, I have been sticking an orange cone on the lower step so nobody bangs their knee on the step.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Little Giant Step Ladder

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably step F in my quest for steps. The Brophy, 2-step (is that a new dance?) arrived today and we installed it on the end of the 20 inch hitch extension.

The first step is a long 16 inches. The other two are as advertised. So, try the 10 inch folding aluminum foot stool:

I'll keep working on this till it's right. I thought about storing the steps upside down on my front receiver hitch when the undulating terrain gets to be too much to clear on the departure angle. They're not very heavy.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those accordion stairs on our camper. Because of the height of our camper, a basement model with an 1 1/2" lift to clear the clearance lights, I built a plywood step with dado routered across it to catch the bottom. This leveled the steps. I also added a granny bar. The plywood step when upside down holds the folded up steps and fits in the walkway. After painting the step porch grey, I had to add grit strip.
Adventure before dementia

gmc88
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance Squire similar to Jefe and mounted my glow steps vertically instead of horizontally. I used 5/15 round head stainless steel bolts that have an inset in the head for an allen wrench. They have been installed for several years with no sign of distress.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaning toward the 'Little Giant' 3 step that Jack Hart posted a picture of on 4-18 attached to the back door of his Hallmark Outfitter. The top step on the 3 step is at 34" and that puts me at the right height to step into my camper. 4 step is too high, 3 step is just right...

My big issue is, like Mr. Hart, I don't have much 'wiggle room' below the door to attach anything in the way of a bracket to carry say a Torklift folding step. I could however, attach an aluminum (or steel angle) to the channel that runs the entire length of the camper just inside of the lower edge on the back. I could use that to 'sit' the ladder in while transporting it with it attached to the camper (just like Mr. Hart does) with a tarp strap and a stainless eye bolt on each side of the door.

With folding steps, I still need a ladder of sorts to reach my roof latches to release and secure them. I cannot reach them from the ground when the unit is on the truck, I'm 6'1 but I must have short arms...lol

I did some inquiring with Little Giant and the sent me the step height dimensions (from the ground) so I know how high they are.

One thing I was unpleasantly surprised about is, the ladders are made in China, but I guess that is 'World Class' economy at work. They are 'guaranteed' for life. Not sure what 'Life' means.

My other issue (a small one) is the Torklift steps will block the view of my license plate on the truck going down the road. Might be a non issue but then again, might be an issue, depending on how LE views it.

Where I'm at. The Little Giant ladders direct from Little Giant are 125 bucks and free shipping and I'll have to add a storage ledge to the bottom plus 2 stainless eye bolts to the door frame and a tarp strap.

As an aside, Torklift contacted me about their steps and doing a 'user test' for them but I think I scared them away when I sent them pictures of how much room there was below the door to attach their bracket. They require 3" of clear space, I have 2 so I explained to them I would have to 'fabricate' a lower mount and I think they assumed that was beyond my capabilities.

It isn't. I co-own and operated a fabrication and short run machine shop. We do projects like that everyday for customers. A very minor job.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Brophy 5-step. I don't keep it hooked while motoring. I strap it to our fold-up bathroom step, directly inside the camper's entrance door, with a welcome mat under it to protect the camper's floor (gotta have the door mat handy, anyway). Easy to store, remove and deploy. It works very well on uneven ground, occasionally using an appropriate size stick/rock, as a leveler, under one side of the base. Our camper entrance, sits high. The four-step version, wouldn't cut it. My 220 pounds, introduces very little flex in the 5-step.
I tried a Little Giant, and found it created more storage and set-up hassle, with a less-than-secure feeling when stepping from the Little Giant, into or out of the, camper.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Whiz,
I just ordered a Brophy 2-step. My bed is about 8 inches higher off the ground than yours, so I may need the portable first step in any case. I'll use my 20 inch hitch extension to get the hitch out far enough to use the steps.
I just blew out my right shoulder, again, (rotator cuff) lifting big 'ol oak logs into my trailer, so I'm looking for ways not to move anything heavy like the Little Giant steps.
My question to those of you that use the Brophy's, do you leave it on the receiver? I suspect this will be a matter of trial and error.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
jefe,

The offset door is no problem. I don't need the white stool but my wife does.

whiz
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Whiz,
Looks good. I like it. I'll order one for my revision E. Your bed and hitch sit pretty low compared to mine, so maybe I won't need a riser. Plus, it will go on a hitch extension so length of the stub is not a woe. How does that work with your offset door? Another worry is the first step. Is is too big a step to not use the little white stool?
I wonder it they make a 3-step?
jefe

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got the new steps up. They were still too low. I had to chop off 6 inches and use a hitch riser. By far, the best solution yet. (For you documentation control buffs, this is Revision F). Yup, 6th time's the charm.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Pt. six:
Hanging on the hook in transit or overnight mode:

It is a bit heavy to hoist onto the rubber coated hook on my rear ladder but is, one, solid apparatus and is the best I've run into so far. the good news is it puts no stress on our rapidly descinigrating bottom frame member. To really get to the root of the problem, I should just go ahead and replace the bottom frame member and start over again with one of the hanging stairs.
This 6-part post was unacceptable as a single post yesterday.
I hope this all gets cleared up. Otherwise, I'm history.
jefe