cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As I was driving down the road watching my rearview camera

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My camera shows just to the rear end my Jeep. At times it would be nice to see a little further back when you're in traffic. I wouldn't want to redirect the current camera because it shows the towbar.

Considering they make all sorts of multi camera systems to show side views, does anyone have one that shows the road as usual and then also shows a picture further back beyond the toad?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
16 REPLIES 16

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I installed three additional wired cameras...two side cameras and one that looks directly back down the road. Each camera has its own 7" flat screen display mounted above my windshield as a "virtual 24" mirror". Its no more distracting than a normal rear view mirror. Great for backing into a space without assistance and I can see a mile behind to see what's coming.

http://i.imgur.com/o7ZVY0Jl.jpg,
http://i.imgur.com/j6KmD3rl.jpg,
http://i.imgur.com/1uC5nGEl.jpg "border=0"
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I'm waiting on someone to put a camera with strong link on one of the little whirly birds, and station it at about 2000 ft above the Mh to report on road conditions and wrecks from up close to miles away and behind too.
note whirly birds are what we called helicopters when I was 6 and I can't remember the name of the contraptions they make today.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a manual/auto switch. In auto, it only is on when in reverse. In manual, it is always on when engine running.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Roadyy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I read this post. I just went on my first trip with the 98 Damon Challenger and the rear monitor only came on when in reverse. I will check to see if it is off this evening when I get home. It never occurred to me that it should be on all the time. The added safety of knowing for sure it is safe to move back into the slow lane would be a huge blessing.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Driving down the road watching my rear view camera? Please don't do that. Very dangerous. there is a reason most factory rear view cameras shut off when the trans is put in forward.

Back up camera in a car will shut off but you have a rear view mirror. rear view camera on a camper will stay on and should stay on.

My factory rear view camera shows from the hitch well past my toad. Really wide vision lens. Down side it is not as clear as a narrower lens. The screen is etched with lines showing from 1 to 50 feet behind the MH. Get much past 15 feet and the clarity suffers. I have learned to live with it but you might be able to change the lens to get better depth.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Driving down the road watching my rear view camera? Please don't do that. Very dangerous. there is a reason most factory rear view cameras shut off when the trans is put in forward.

Every motorhome I've ever had the rear camera was always on regardless of transmission setting. How is looking at a rear view camera any different than looking at a rear view mirror? Maybe we should cover the rear view mirrors on our cars too. :h
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My rear camera is always on also unless I physically turn it off. When off, it only comes on when I put the coach in reverse.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:

Never heard of that before - mine doesn't.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good wireless camera would get a good signal without a relay.
The vid should be clear. 65ft is not that long for a good wireless cam, even within the body of a vehicle.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Second rear camera is on my do list. My first choice is to hack into existing car rear camera and bring video signal to dash in coax all the way. Second choice is to just add another camera. In either case there will be a dedicated seven inch monitor. Safe lane changes in heavy traffic is my objective
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many cameras out there. I got a "Rear View' Camera from Wish.com (Read note) that I plan to add to this Rig eventually... I need blind spot cameras since I have no co-pilot.

The note:
Wish does not actually stock or sell anyhting. they are a brokerage,, Some of their vendors ship promptly.. Some are much slower (Up to 2 months) and from what others have said some don't ship.. Wish will do a follow up on items that ship slow and does offer a refund.. The last time I choose "I'll wait" it arrived the next day 🙂 But even that "has it arrived yet" e-mail was 2 months in coming.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
M camera has a tilt feature that I can control from the dash. I can tilt it up to look over the toad or down to look directly at the tow bar. It is the Voyager system.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a two camera system on the rear of our coach to replace the failed OEM setup. Both cameras are mounted high with one aimed to show the view from about the center of the toad hood back to infinity. The other camera is aimed down to show the view from the rear bumper of the coach back to the bottom of the toad windshield. Besides checking on the tow hookup while underway, the close view camera is very handy when backing into tight quarters, as well as for making sure no one has walked behind the coach before backing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate