cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ride quality of class C vs. pulling trailer with truck

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I are contemplating moving to a Class C in a couple of years. We've been camping for many years and progressed through 3 popup campers, a 29' Sunline TT pulled by a 2001 Dodge dually (V-10 gasser) and our current rig (27' Winnebago pulled by a Tundra). My wife has experienced some back issues which has led to this question. Is the ride quality of a class C typically better than that of a pickup truck pulling a trailer.

Obviously, there are many variables involved i.e. type of hitch, weight of trailer, towing under/over capacity etc. I really don't want this thread to get bogged down with those discussions. I'm more interested in hearing from class C owners that previously towed travel trailers and their experiences.

And, most likely, we would be looking for a 30' or slightly larger class C which offers a walk around bed. At our age, we really don't want to be crawling over each other for the nightly visits to the bathroom!

Thanks in advance for your responces!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
21 REPLIES 21

LifeInsideJack
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said the Class C gives the passenger the chance to get out of their seat and move about. For us that isn't a great concern but it is handy. I've pulled enough of everything, including 53' for the nation's largest retailer, I'm just tired of pulling things.

The Class C has been remodeled to our needs. It is a bit lighter than original and the engine is capable of getting this thing up and moving should that requirement present itself. But, none of that is what you want to know. Both my girlfriend and I drive and although the seat is a bit too upright it is comfortable, the ride is truck-ish but if the freeway is smooth the miles are easy. Our motor home is old so the springs may be a bit softer. All I know is that it rides OK, handles fine and I can pass something if needed.

We live in here full time so it's a bit noisy when we are rolling,

I prefer this to a pick up.
Our website: www.lifeinsidejack.com

Our Motto: Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
And, thanks for adding to the comments. I really appreciate it!

Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Our 3/4 ton pickup pulling a fiver was a worse ride than our class C. The hitch actions, bumps and road joints were all worse. Over the course of a day it took a toll.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
To get an E-series to ride comfy, you have to load the chassis to capacity, both the front axle and rear axle. Unfortunately it is very hard to load the front axle to capacity due to the teeter-totter effect. Pending the length versus the wheel base, the front axle often runs lighter than it should, especially B+s without the huge bed above, and so the ride can be harsh, surely more than in a pickup truck.

The E-series made after 2007 can be worse because Ford increased the front axle capacity with stiffer springs and such to increase the over-all GVWR. But many motor homes don't carry so much load up front, hence they have a rougher ride. I would imagine that you could get lighter-duty springs installed up front to remedy the situation, but most people wouldn't consider doing something like that.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Well mto me I prefer the ride of my F350 vs the E450 winnebago we have. We use the pickup as our travel vehicle if not taking the rv. Dont know why folks are always complaining about the truck ride, it is far better IMO than the rv, but thats because the seats aree adjustable and the rv's are manual forward or rear only. Dont know why some of the $$ rvs still use standard type seats vs fully adjustable? Jayco melborne had fully adjustable but could not find one wife liked!!

On the truck I have airbags and removed the helper springs, run low air pressure in bags and tires when empty. Wife says its big comfortable and roomy for her, she climbs over seats etc. She wanted the rv so she could go to back for drinks restroom break etc without having to pull over (still do as she does not drive the rv). Remember the F350 weights 7500 lbs basic, an F150 maybe 4-5000? I would like to change the rv seats but havent been able to find out if truck seats will fit. Big claim of the rv seats are they are the 'flex steel' and swivel around. BTW have to run 55-60 psi in rv airbags as the things sways a lot at lower pressures, so hit a bump and its just like there is no give also.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
TheLuvShack wrote:
I might consider a Class A though.
I won't consider anything else because our PC just makes it into our garage. But....

If I were to consider a class A, I think I already made my mind up on a Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR. That is one sweet little well made DP and at a reasonable length too.....friendly in the national parks.

My brother is considering the Tiffin 28BR as well... but he is balking at the price. He loves diesel, but doesn't want to pay the premium. I suggested it may be the last one he gets (he is 66), so go for it! And... he can afford it.

Back to the original subject; we've migrated from flip-top to poptop to a 22' fiver to a 27' class C on Ford E350, and finally to our current unit, a Sunseeker 2250 on Chevy.

Up until the motorhomes, we used our trusty '93 GMC 3/4 ton pickup; my son still has that truck; we loved the ride over the years.

The Ford, on the other hand, was the worst of the lot. It rode like a lumber wagon no matter what I did with tire pressures, etc. The seat backs curved inward; the initial trip home about killed my back. I installed seat covers and added 2-3" of foam on my seat back. My wife seemed to think they were fine. Leg room was poor on the Ford, as it is on all E series units. Yet, we put about 5K miles a year on that unit, pulling some 14 hour days.

Now the 24' Sunseeker on the GM 4500 is a pleasure to drive, it's comfortable and has decent leg room. We like a C over the truck/trailer or truck/camper as it is easy to find a spot to pull off the road for quick bathroom breaks and lunch breaks.

I've never driven a Sprinter chassis, though I've sat in the front seats as we've looked at them from time to time. We just couldn't justify getting one...

My vote is a shorter class C on GM.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulled a 32ft. gooseneck Wells Cargo with my jeep inside with a 2006 GMC crew cab short bed. Inflate the air bags and go. custom installed living quarters (by me) and was a great trailer. Downside of Ford class C's is the floor heat and lack of foot room in the front. Best to exit the coach for access to the interior. With upgrades like sway bars and Koni shocks my coach rides fine.I air the bags uo to 35 empty and 80 with a trailer and it glides smoothly. With stock suspension think of the last ride you had on a airport shuttle bus.....

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your responses!
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
When we towed a small 5th wheel with a Chevy half-ton the ride quality didn't deteriorate so it was good. Our 2003 30 ft. Class C doesn't ride or steer as well, takes bumps harder, etc. But it is acceptable to us.
Jayco-noslide

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
TheLuvShack wrote:
I might consider a Class A though.
I won't consider anything else because our PC just makes it into our garage. But....

If I were to consider a class A, I think I already made my mind up on a Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR. That is one sweet little well made DP and at a reasonable length too.....friendly in the national parks.

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 28' Avion with a 1500 Suburban using a Hensley hitch. It rode better than my 31' Phoenix Cruiser (PC) Class C. I have stabilizer bars, upgraded shocks and a steering stabilizer on the PC. That said, I like my PC Class C better for many reasons. Seats are just as comfortable. The ability for my spouse to move around as we travel is a big plus. Set up at campsite is quicker and easier. Having a generator for those quick overnight boondocking stops is an advantage. I wouldn't go back o a TT. I might consider a Class A though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
The best ride we had was in 1989 when we had a new GMC Suburban & 28' Kit TT. We have also have had 2 5th wheels and PUs. Since 2003 we have had 3 Class C Winnebagos and the 25' on a E450 was a rough riding MH. Our 29' with longer wheel base E450 was good riding, our present 24' on a E350 is the smoothest. Dick

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We towed a 22' - 5,600# TT for 4 years with our F-150 SCab before switching to a 24' Class C. The main reason for the change was that we wanted to do some long {cross country}, trips without the hassles of pulling a trailer.

For us the change has been great. Just turn the key and go and being only 24' our C goes/fits just about anywhere with exactly the same amenities as our 22' TT. If you are 6' or less and the first number when you get on the scale is a "1" look for a Ford chassis and opt for the power drivers seat. It is infinitely adjustable but the Ford Chassis' cabs are a little tight for the larger folks.

After 33,000 miles the original shocks were just about shot so I replaced with the Bilstein heavy duties {per their recommendation as we often tow my motorcycle and run close to our GVWR most of the time}. The ride was always good but it got much better with the Bilstein's. Passing truck are simply not an issue and it remains drivable even high winds {35 + - not much fun but doable}.

:C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding "Spinal Back Pain Issues", I feel the biggest factor will be the design & quality of the front seats and also the cabin furniture. The secondary matter over the quality of the ride will be best in a Sprinter, then a GM, and finally a Ford. All RV manufactures install aftermarket seats and they vary a lot. If your wife has a problem with the seats, plan on replacing them with a better quality, fully adjustable design. Fully adjustable should include lumbar, a high priority for you. To get such seats from the start, you'll need to be looking at higher-end brands.

Upon request, some manufactures will install the same front captain seats inside the cabin. So if the fronts are working, the cabin furniture will also work. I've seen this applied in the brand we own, Phoenix Cruiser. You simply ask Phoenix to install two additional captain seats (and a small pull-out table) identical to the captain seats up front, instead of the typical convertible couch/bed. It is not a popular request, but I see it now and then. It actually works better without a slide because of the additional wall space to work with.

CLICK HERE to see the seat supplier for Phoenix Cruiser seating. You can buy direct from them. As I mentioned before, you will want lumbar adjustability.