Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Oil Changes- Fumoto Valve

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Fumoto Valve

Anyone who does their own oil changes, do you use this valve? On my F53 gasser, the oil plug is right above the front axle making it tough to get a pan directly under the plug and usually ends up with a mess. Not having to remove the bolt/plug each time and being able to put a tube on the drain valve would be very advantageous. Opinions?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
17 REPLIES 17

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still old school and don't have a problem with removing the drain plug. I don't want the possibility of a leaky valve and the faster the oil drains, the more solids suspended in the fluid will come out, but that's just me.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one and it leaked. Unusual I know. Replaced it with an Eaton FLOCS valve which I believe is a better design. But costs more.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
On the V10 it is the best way to go.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dont forget to keep your old drain plug in your toolbox. I keep 3 gallons of oil on hand too.

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Fumoto valve and pump the oil out with a drill pump in to two 5 gallon tanks. The CAT C10 uses 9 gallons of oil.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, works great on my F53 . Got the one with nipple to attach hose to.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want the one with the longer nipple makes it easier to put the drain tube on. The one shown in the first post to the web site showed the S series which has the short nipple. Go with the standard series.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
For the first oil change on my ISL, I was concerned about capturing the 7 gal or so of oil draining out of the engine (I had the Fumoto valve, but had not yet installed it). In a stroke of genius, I hooked up my shop vac to the oil filler opening, and had my wife hold it there, while I pulled out the old oil plug and installed the Fumoto valve.....Not a single drop of oil was spilled....worked like a charm (I could actually hear air bubbling up thru the drain plug opening before I screwed in the Fumoto valve).
Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as "lanerd".....I buy my oil in 2.5 gallon jugs from Walmart and save them from oil change to oil change. My coach is tall enough that I can drain the oil, with the Fumoto valve, right into the old oil jugs. Cap them off and take them to the local auto parts store for recycling.

I don't use the Fumoto on my cars. For me, there just isn't enough oil to worry about. As I get older, I'm getting lazy and take my wife's car to the dealer. In and out in an hour, car washed and free drinks and snacks in the lounge (Acura Dealer).
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing they invented. I use on my F53 motorhome. No Mess

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
BluegrassBill wrote:
I have had a Fumoto valve on my rig for years. I use the one with a nipple so I can use a clear hose and drain directly into jugs. The down side to Fumoto is it drains slowly. I love mine.

Boy, is that the truth. I have one on my ISL (28 quarts of oil), and it takes me about 1/2 hour to drain all that oil. However, absolutely no mess!! I keep my empty oil containers from my previous oil change and drain the current oil into them for recycling drop off at the local auto parts store.

I take my iPhone with me and read rv.net while laying under the motorhome waiting for the oil to drain. :B

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Fumoto valve on my rig for years. I use the one with a nipple so I can use a clear hose and drain directly into jugs. The down side to Fumoto is it drains slowly. I love mine.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and I think it's great. Current coach uses the F104N and I believe I bought direct from Fumoto. Makes maintenance easier as well as sampling.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, that looks VERY handy. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.