cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dreaded Water Damage

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
After some more investigating water damage is more likely in hybrid trailers than in other RVs. After the wettest winter in maybe 75 years I discovered corner separation in the lower front corner. After pulling back the lining of the cargo compartment water is the culprit. The weather has been cold and the wood looks sound.

My question is after I pull all the insulation and cheap luan plywood out of the way, it will dry out. Then maybe I can put the corner back together. The front fold out bed is slanted which makes water infiltration an ongoing problem. The seal is fine, but the trim piece designed to shed water does not work above the opening.

Any more ideas about how to proceed? This is very discouraging. The rig is a 2002 Thor Tahoe Lite.
2 REPLIES 2

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of fixing the exact same problem on my trail sport. However mine is pretty bad and there's no chance of the wood being salvageable. Along the base of the curved piece under the front bunk is a 2x4 cut at an angle. The curved front screws to the anlgle cut. If your 2x4 is solid then you could be able to screw the front curve back to it. post some pics if u can

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I would treat the dry area with a mold deterrent product prior to reassembly. The key in any RV is maintenance. Keeping joints sealed tight with the correct products is important.