cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie - Sewer hose recommendation?

ChrisFMA
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings, I just picked up my first RV. It's a 2015 Itasca 27 foot single slide. I now need to buy all of the various accessories. I am looking at sewer hose and see there are a lot advertised and the prices vary dramatically. Is there a particular brand or type that I should consider? Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2. A cheap one ( i got free when i bought the coach, no fitting on the end and too short for most sites) i use when just using a dump station and can get close enough to the dump. The other is a Rhino Flex i use when i have a full hookup site where i can use the screw in fitting.
Proud father of a US Marine

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Paoli wrote:

Same here, macerator has been working great for years and years.
Yes, a bit slower to dump, but cleaner.

yep, I don't understand those that think dumping is a NASCAR racing event. but then I rarely line up at a public dump to unload. I usually get a FHU site the third night or so and if not, I usually find a FHU pull thru empty site and just use that on the way out.
bumpy

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Our Phoenix Cruiser has a Macerator system built-in but I carry a Rhino flex hose in case a mechanical issue occurs....none yet in 10 years.

I bought the Rhino during an end-of-season clearance at Walmart twice now for around $10 a set. So I have two full sets because they were so very cheap.

Interesting that the Rhino can be sealed at each end for cleaner storing.

Same here, macerator has been working great for years and years.
Yes, a bit slower to dump, but cleaner.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
mountainsam wrote:
I purchased an el-cheapo hose for my 5th wheel in 2013. I stored it in the rear bumper. The next summer I noticed pin holes in the hose. I think there was welder slag in the bumper that created the holes while the hose was sliding in and out. I purchased a new, better quality hose and stored it in a length of PVC pipe. I assume a good quality hose in the first place still would have had the pin holes. Point is: How you store it is probably more important than the price you paid for it.

I thought the little holes in the hose were so you can water the grass when using it ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

ChrisFMA
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome help folks! Thank you!

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an el-cheapo hose for my 5th wheel in 2013. I stored it in the rear bumper. The next summer I noticed pin holes in the hose. I think there was welder slag in the bumper that created the holes while the hose was sliding in and out. I purchased a new, better quality hose and stored it in a length of PVC pipe. I assume a good quality hose in the first place still would have had the pin holes. Point is: How you store it is probably more important than the price you paid for it.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Rhino Flex hose is your best bet,Walmart has the best price also a Clear elbow to see that everything is out of the tank when rinsing.

I second that opinion. I have both items. They were not expensive enough to break the bank. Also if you order them online from Walmart they include free shipping without the Prime Membership like Amazon.:B

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using the basic Camco Revolution hose set for the past several years. 2 10' sections with caps. 1 10' section has one end permanently attached to the dump outlet in our wet bay and then drops through the floor into a sewer boom.

This has worked great, pop cap off sewer boom, take cap off hose, attach 90 degree fitting, stretch to drain, dump. Then reverse the process.

Lately the hose has started to leak around the lower end fitting which isn't a big issue for dumping since it leaks right into the drain, but when compressing the hose back into the boom and putting the cap on, the hose does not stay compressed due to the leak at the fitting.

Looked around at some of the alternatives and online reviews and decided to stay with what has worked, the Revolution hose.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our Phoenix Cruiser has a Macerator system built-in but I carry a Rhino flex hose in case a mechanical issue occurs....none yet in 10 years.

I bought the Rhino during an end-of-season clearance at Walmart twice now for around $10 a set. So I have two full sets because they were so very cheap.

Interesting that the Rhino can be sealed at each end for cleaner storing.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Rhinoflex is by far the best I have used .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
I have used several of the cheap blue hoses that come with RV starter kits over the years. They tear easily, start to leak, and the wires at the end of it started to poke my hand. Since I didn't want to chance a serious infection from a sewer hose, I finally spent an extra $20 and got a better hose. They are easier to handle, take more use, and don't leak as easily, IMO. However, I still see many people using the blue ones. So, YMMV.

Interex
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure you don't drag it along concrete. I quickly found out the hard way that it's a great way to end up with holes in your hoses! Best thing to do is get these supports which will help with dumping by steadily declining the hose and also keep it off the concrete.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Trouble is that a disposer is not a pump even if it has a pumping effect.

There are pumping blades on the bottom side of the grinder plate

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rhino and Valterra are both good products but don't spend a fortune on a stinky slinky. They do not last forever and you will be replacing it from time to time, especially under heavy use.