cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep Cycle Battery Question

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to rehash the 6volt vs 12 volt discussion .For those who have 12 volt batteries , what brand did you buy ? Are you happy with them ?
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators
21 REPLIES 21

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Watering wet cells just got so old to me. I know that the AGM's are a commitment price-wise but boy was I glad that I made the switch. Wet cells certainly have their place but when you need eight of them, it becomes a headache.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The mineral oil isn't a trick. Recommended by battery users going back to Edison himself. The amount is 2 oz of mineral oil per cell. And generally you add it when your battery water is a bit low. Or you can turkey baster remove 2 oz of water/acid before adding. But with the big style batteries we RV'ers use, adding without removing any water isn't really an issue.

It works great and has been used, like I say, since wet cell batteries were invented.

What it does is whenever a bubble of gas is produced because of the chemical reaction of the acid with a lead plate, when it releases from the plate and rises to the surface of the water/acid, it runs into the mineral oil. This slows it's rise, than when it bursts, the oil reduces the amount of acid thrown into the air above the water/acid surface. This prevents most of the acid from floating out of the battery, which reduces the chemical interaction with the metals outside the battery. Reducing corrosion.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I already mentioned it but be sure to look at the Universal Battery brand before you spend any money on anything else.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2002 Sunnybrook Fifthwheel with a AGM battery in it and have NEVER changed it out, have NEVER TAKEN IT OUT in the winters and in Spring, it works fine. It is still there, and I expect when I dewinterize it will be again fine. I love it. With my Class A I just put in new 6 volt wet batteries so will see how they work for me but AGM are GREAT!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

MrWizard
Jorge
For your use, hook up camping, that battery should be fine
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone used the Excide AGM battery ?
2010 Jayco Eagle

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Jorge
That is Not the useful rating
They is the total capacity until dead
150 minutes at 25 amps until dead

That's 62 amp hrs, kinda on the small side for RV use, but if it serves you well, then maybe that is all you need
50 percent use then recharge is 31 amp hrs

Granted I'm basing this on the number you supplied, a different number will give different results

I placed it on a small camper and so far it seems to be doing the trick. When the camper is in use, it is usually hooked up to shore power. I figure the battery was for turning the lights on for a bit if needed and to make sure the emergency braking system works when towing. I wouldn't think you would need a much bigger battery unless you are dry docking somewhere without power, however I could be wrong.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
The Mineral Oil Trick????

Please enlighten. I am assuming it is a thin coating on the battery and the tray to slow or stop corrosion, but I don't know and would like to learn.

Thanks

The Mineral Oil Trick is when you put several drops of mineral oil into each battery cell so that the water will not evaporate. I've never tried it myself.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
The Mineral Oil Trick????

Please enlighten. I am assuming it is a thin coating on the battery and the tray to slow or stop corrosion, but I don't know and would like to learn.

Thanks
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone !
2010 Jayco Eagle

Bruce_Brown
We've had good luck with Interstate wet cell batteries. I wasn't a maintenance hound but we still got 9 years out of them. Although ours were 6 volts the brand worked well for us.

When I replaced them last year I went with the cheap Duracells from Sams. I read mostly decent reports and figured we'd try them. I did use the mineral oil trick and so far have ZERO corrosion. Give it a few years and I'll tell you if we made the right choice. :B

If it fits your budget it's tough to be an AGM battery.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
It is very important that your charger match your batteries. If your charger is set for or only for Wet Cells, you will not be happy when you ruin your AGMs
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a single Auto Zone 12VDC Marine/RV battery as my house battery for 3 years now and it's working just fine. Of course, I don't boondock camp, so I couldn't really give a comparison as to how well it will last on its own.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with my Deka AGM 8D. Had it for 5 years now and still going strong.