Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow-birding; Texas instead of Arizona?

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Hey good folks,
We are going to be snowbirds for the first time this winter. We are from Washington State. I checked rates at snowbird parks in Arizona and I thought they we quite high. Then I checked Texas and WOW way cheaper. Any pro's or con's with Texas as a snowbird destination?

~Thanks, John
63 REPLIES 63

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Might be like the cars and trucks of the 70's. They were rusting before we got them home.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
. Do you know the full history of this incident?

No I don't, and I was thinking the exact same thing just didn't want to say it out loud. I'm guessing that steel comes in different quality's and it's very possible that maker uses the cheaper stuff.

To give them some credibility though, is my story of looking at a 5'ver in San Benito a few years ago. It was all rusted to heck, so I figured they used it on the coast during the summer months. As I was leaving I noticed their massive steel gate was also rusted much more then it should have been.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have found if it has "Resort" in the park name it's likely over priced unless you plan on partaking the activities offered. For me the RV park is a home base for exploring what the area has to offer. Probably the only time you find me home is evenings after site seeing all day.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
No rusting in AZ. :B

AZ works for us in the Winter.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

Agreed. That's the reason why I found it so surprising that they had issues in Rio Hondo to the extent they needed to take it back to the manufacturer for fixing.

This part is strictly my opinion, but I would say up to 10-20 miles inland of the Laguna Madre you'll have issues of premature rusting. Half a mile I think is very optimistic.

Not challenging your story, but there are other reasons for premature rusting than being in South Texas. Perhaps the factory goofed in the first place or it was exposed to much saltier air than in Rio Hondo before coming there? I have seen trailers on the beach pulled by soon to be rusty tow vehicles. Do you know the full history of this incident?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
...The RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas) is much more than the little strip of land along the Laguna Madre. Premature rusting does not appear to be a problem in the heart of the Valley near Weslaco.

Agreed. That's the reason why I found it so surprising that they had issues in Rio Hondo to the extent they needed to take it back to the manufacturer for fixing.

This part is strictly my opinion, but I would say up to 10-20 miles inland of the Laguna Madre you'll have issues of premature rusting. Half a mile I think is very optimistic.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Out of over one million people, only a relatively few RVers live that close to the Gulf. Salt air will be encountered in any area lucky enough to live near salt water, no matter what state you are in. No surprise there.

The RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas) is much more than the little strip of land along the Laguna Madre. Premature rusting does not appear to be a problem in the heart of the Valley near Weslaco.
Had our rig in San Benito, Texas for 5 years and never experienced any rusting.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Out of over one million people, only a relatively few RVers live that close to the Gulf. Salt air will be encountered in any area lucky enough to live near salt water, no matter what state you are in. No surprise there.

The RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas) is much more than the little strip of land along the Laguna Madre. Premature rusting does not appear to be a problem in the heart of the Valley near Weslaco.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
... The only reports I have heard are from people who drive/camp right on or within a half mile of the Gulf.

That would be me.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We arrive Oct 1st, nights are already cooler, not many people around, we love it.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with AZ is two-fold: Can't expect moderate temps until November and rates have gone out the window. Until this year, Cal-Am offered a 3-month special for $599, from October 1 to January 1, not bad even if delaying until late October when the temps became somewhat bearable. This year, the same offer is $995, ridiculous when you add utility charges and few activities before years-end.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
After ten years in the San Benito to McAllen, Texas area, the subject of premature rust has never come up in any of the half dozen parks where I have stayed. I am actively involved in RVing including happy hours etc. I am surprised at how bad some people must experience it. The only reports I have heard are from people who drive/camp right on or within a half mile of the Gulf.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm talking about Salt air on the Texas Gulf coast you need to factor in the Laguna Madre. This is something that most salt area's do not have to contend with.

The Laguna Madre is a hyper saline lagoon. One of five I believe in the world.

Hyper Saline Lagoon Clicky

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Just another opinion and comments about rust and salt air from a northerner!

Having spent years following salt trucks (and now occasionally following brine trucks that wet the road with a salt-water mix!) I don't worry too much about rust on the RV. I spent 4 winters on the pacific coast in Mexico 50 ft. from the ocean and got a bit of rust on the RV frame, cosmetic but no structural damage. Our 4 year old RV has a slight bit of rust on the frame, not caused by salt exposure but poor quality painting, not a big concern.

Years back when up on the Alaska Highway I got a real laugh when some southerners were going ape S**t over the calcium chloride that they got on their RV's from going over gravel roads treated with the CC to keep the dust down!