cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Advice

Paull6
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Reflection BHTS says in specs the trailer is GVWR is 9995 lbs and hitch weight of 997 lbs. I also have a 2017 F150 Super Crew Cab V8 5.0l engine. Ford satates it has 11,000 lbs towing capacity. I just want some opinions based on knowledge/experience of using that truck to tow. Just bought both so unsure of what other options I have. Usually only take the trailer 45 kms away from home.
44 REPLIES 44

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
buck n duck wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
There is no law regarding towing overweight for a non-commercial vehicle.
If you are involved in an accident and it's your fault your Probably going to be sued Whether your overweight or not. That's why you buy insurance.

What happens when your insurance agency finds out your were over your ratings? Do they still have to cover you?

Insurance will not pay anything for you in small claims court due to negligence.

Same thing that happens if you run a red light or were speeding or intoxicated and you cause an accident. These are violation of written law.
What if your tires are worn and you hydroplane or your shocks are worn and you lose control in a bouncy curve? Tie rod breaks, brakes fail, bee flies in the window and you freak out. You swerve to avoid a squirrel and crash. These are not law but could be attributed to negligence. Insurance pays.
Any exclusions will be listed in your insurance contract. Usually acts of war, damage due to racing or intentional damage is not covered.

I am with Hannibal.

I always love to hear the people say we'll the insurance won't pay! Sure they will, they have to, it's part of the contract. They may/will drop you afterwards, but they will pay.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
If you are involved in an accident and it's your fault your Probably going to be sued Whether your overweight or not. That's why you buy insurance.

What happens when your insurance agency finds out your were over your ratings? Do they still have to cover you?

Insurance will not pay anything for you in small claims court due to negligence.

Same thing that happens if you run a red light or were speeding or intoxicated and you cause an accident. These are violation of written law.
What if your tires are worn and you hydroplane or your shocks are worn and you lose control in a bouncy curve? Tie rod breaks, brakes fail, bee flies in the window and you freak out. You swerve to avoid a squirrel and crash. These are not law but could be attributed to negligence. Insurance pays.
Any exclusions will be listed in your insurance contract. Usually acts of war, damage due to racing or intentional damage is not covered.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Brian

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
The second article state that tow ratings are like speed limits. Here's the Florida Statute concerning speed limits. It's the law. Can you post a link to any statute concerning manufacturer's tow ratings for private owners? Manufacturer's don't write law. You won't find it.
My truck is rated to tow 9700 lbs with it's 5.4L gas V8 and 3.73 ratio. This is a performance issue, not a safety or legal issue. If I tow a trailer that exceed that rating, what written law statute have I broken. The same truck with diesel is rated to tow thousands more. Aside from performance, what's the difference. I might exceed my tow rating down here in mostly flat Florida and not notice the difference. I'd still be well within the tow rating of the duplicate diesel powered truck so brakes, suspension and handling will be the same. What statute dictates I cannot do this?
If you cause an accident, you're at fault and subject to lawsuit regardless if you're over or under you manufacturer's weight ratings.

Exactly ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would have expected better from Truck Trend Magazine ๐Ÿ˜ž

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote:
http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/improperly-equipped-pickups-costing-businesses-millions-in-lawsuits/

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1703-tow-ratings-and-the-law-discussing-limits-of-trailer-size/

The second article state that tow ratings are like speed limits. Here's the Florida Statute concerning speed limits. It's the law. Can you post a link to any statute concerning manufacturer's tow ratings for private owners? Manufacturer's don't write law. You won't find it.
My truck is rated to tow 9700 lbs with it's 5.4L gas V8 and 3.73 ratio. This is a performance issue, not a safety or legal issue. If I tow a trailer that exceed that rating, what written law statute have I broken. The same truck with diesel is rated to tow thousands more. Aside from performance, what's the difference. I might exceed my tow rating down here in mostly flat Florida and not notice the difference. I'd still be well within the tow rating of the duplicate diesel powered truck so brakes, suspension and handling will be the same. What statute dictates I cannot do this?
If you cause an accident, you're at fault and subject to lawsuit regardless if you're over or under you manufacturer's weight ratings.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
The money quote from the Truck Trend article:

When it comes to negligence or the failure of the driverโ€™s โ€œduty to tow only that which the vehicle is designed to tow,โ€ Dean and other attorneys we spoke with about this issue agree: If thereโ€™s an accident and the towing vehicle isnโ€™t properly configured for the trailered weight, the injured person or persons will probably win any ensuing lawsuit.

Read carefully...

Dean and other attorneys we spoke with about this issue agree: If thereโ€™s an accident and the towing vehicle isnโ€™t properly configured for the trailered weight

Carefully crafted legal-ease to avoid tying to "tow ratings"

For example:

A vehicle with a tow rating of 5k is supplied by the Mfr with "P-rated" tires. Owner upgrades to LT tires of a higher rating and tows within hitch and axle ratings but exceeds the Mfr sticker tow rating.

Is it "properly equipped" ? Probably. It is industry practice to supply SUVs in particular, but also many trucks with lower weight rated (softer) tires for a softer, "fake" ride. Driver wins this suit easily.

I do believe if you are going to haul heavy, you should properly equip your tow vehicle and trailer and learn/train/practice how to safely and properly inspect, repair, and operate the vehicle with the load.

But I don't believe either of those articles are the "smoking gun" of the weight police ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, the Truck Trend article is very poorly written. Comparing "properly equipped" tow vehicle with a speed limit? One varies based upon the vehicle, but the speed limit does not. You cannot add higher rated tires and you get to drive 100mph in a posted 55mph zone.

And this statement: "Towing more weight than the vehicle manufacturer recommends (per the ownerโ€™s manual or manufacturerโ€™s towing-related websites)...{snip} is considered towing with an improperly equipped vehicle. "

Not an absolute, certainly not established case law. If they said "could be considered" or "along with other factors" or "in some cases" but making it as a broad sweeping statement of fact is unsubstantiated and (IMHO) irresponsible.

Then there would be the causal relationship. Did the "improperly equipped" portion CAUSE or CONTRIBUTE SUBSTANTIALLY to the accident? In some cases, probably. In others, no.

For instance, if an "overloaded" combination couldn't stop and hit a car that ran a red light in front of the towing driver, and it is (quite easily) determined that even if towing within or below the ratings would not have been enough to prevent the accident or severity thereof, it would be an irrelevant factor.

Certainly not the 'case deciding fact for an automatic win' as Truck Trend seems to imply.

Be safe, but don't be alarmist. It's like 'crying wolf' and often has the OPPOSITE effect ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS- What about tire pressure? Low tires will get you a multi-million dollar judgement? "Improperly Equipped" per the door sticker, right?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote:
http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/improperly-equipped-pickups-costing-businesses-millions-in-lawsuits/

I didn't find any correlation of any of the mentioned cases in this article with towing RVs.

The closest items was an overloaded towing SUV that was towing a boat and trailer over 60% above the HITCH rating...in a COMMERCIAL situation.

The other cases involved improper loading, unsecured loads, etc. of COMMERCIAL entities. More of a "failure to train employees" issue IMHO.

One was improper tires for the overload and the trailer came loose.

None relevant, except for a few buzz words in common.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
buck n duck wrote:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1703-tow-ratings-and-the-law-discussing-limits-of-trailer-size/

The money quote from the Truck Trend article:

When it comes to negligence or the failure of the driverโ€™s โ€œduty to tow only that which the vehicle is designed to tow,โ€ Dean and other attorneys we spoke with about this issue agree: If thereโ€™s an accident and the towing vehicle isnโ€™t properly configured for the trailered weight, the injured person or persons will probably win any ensuing lawsuit.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer

Brian

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
What if you cause an accident and you are well within the ratings of your vehicle? Same outcome. If manufacturer's GVWR and tow ratings were law, just about every minivan loaded with kids and luggage on it's way to Disney World would be driven by a negligent homicidal criminal maniac endangering the lives of children and others. I'd bet the most dangerous sin committed by trailer towers is the proverbial 10-15% tongue weight law. A car loaded backward on an auto transport trailer will be well within the limits of a 1-ton dually. It'll also turn it around in a flash once it starts whipping on the interstate. There's a lot more to it than OMG he's 200 lbs over his tow rating.
Should we stay within our ratings. Of course we should for many reasons. But the key words in the article are, "Just imagine". I'd like to see some cases of lawsuits won against private trailer owners due to being slightly over their tow ratings. Maybe just one?

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Paull6 wrote:
I'm the OP and another poster was right I didn't come back because I didn't like what I heard, which was ill advised alarmist posts about what a mistake I made. The F150 had absolutely no problem hauling the 10k lb trailer inclines, wind rain were all present on the trip and the F150 barely felt it Not all posts were as unhelpful as the "experts" so thanks for those. Ask for advice with caution on this forum a lot of guys think they know more than they do.

I highly doubt that you will not be over on Payload, GVWR and GAWR for your vehicle.

What about when you cause an accident that kills someone and get charged with negligent homicide because you ignored several ratings that were issued for your vehicle. If not formal charges don't think for one minute someone couldn't take you to small claims court and get a large settlement for your gross negligence.

Think it can't happen? Here is just one of several websites that talk about the "Law of Negligence". http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

That camper is TOO large for your tow vehicle. Period!!!
Brian

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
If the 27 miles is relatively flat, and lower speeds, it probably does not tow too bad. If it is mountainous, or interstate, I don't think it would be very pleasant. My 6.0 gasser with 3.73 gearing definately knows when it has out 8000lb (loaded) camper behind it on the highway of in the mountains.

I like to go different places, so I'd not be happy staying at the same place all the time and would want to venture out. Hitting the mountains, and the highway I think the towing experience won't be the best.

X2
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Paull6 wrote:
I'm the OP and another poster was right I didn't come back because I didn't like what I heard, which was ill advised alarmist posts about what a mistake I made. The F150 had absolutely no problem hauling the 10k lb trailer inclines, wind rain were all present on the trip and the F150 barely felt it Not all posts were as unhelpful as the "experts" so thanks for those. Ask for advice with caution on this forum a lot of guys think they know more than they do.

Good reply and spec on and thanks for letting us know how it worked for you.
You asked ......."I just want some opinions based on knowledge/experience of using that truck to tow."

As usual on this website you got opinions from those that were clueless of your trucks tow rating and load carrying ability and some who don't think a 1/2 to truck can pull a 10k trailer regardless of its ability and ratings.....and you got some very good advice from others.
Enjoy the combo
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides