cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep JK ONLY! rack up miles when towing or not?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang,
Well, I got one that even stumps me here and we've been towing jeeps for over 35 years. A buddy of mine and I were talking the other day and, he has a 2012 Jeep JKR and he stated that, unless he pulls the negative battery cable when he tows, his jeep racks up miles. Well, my answer to him was, if his key is off, then there is no electronic activation of any parts or components so, how could it be racking up mileage?

Linked here is the 2012 Jeep JK owners manual. On page 81, it outlines the procedure for Recreational Vehicle Towing. I won't go in to the details, you can read them for yourself. No mention of leaving the key in any other position, other than OFF. To me, that means no electrical activity so, no registering of mileage when towing.

file:///C:/Users/Scott/Downloads/2012-Wrangler-UG-4th-R1%20(1).pdf

Now, below is a link to the owners manual for our 2015 JKUR. The outline for prep for towing behind a motor home is almost identical to the 2012 owners manual towing instructions.

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/jeep/2015-wrangler.pdf

Now, I really haven't done an actual check on ours to see if it is, in fact, racking up mileage when we tow it, even though the key is in the motor home. I suspect it's not. Now, just for keeping this thread short and sweet, please do not reply with regards to any other model Jeep, TJ, YJ, CJ etc. Those are not in question here. ONLY the JK model is in question. I should know the answer to this issue since we've been towing for decades but, it's just one of those things that, I've not paid any attention to. Thanks for your participation here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
16 REPLIES 16

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Wrangler never rack up miles. I just sold it and have a new 2017 Grand Cherokee that I am going to tow. I will find that out when I tow that one.
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
We just got back from a short camping trip and, I recorded the mileage on our '15 JKUR as we hooked up to the coach to tow it to our destination. When we arrived at the destination, I looked at the mileage, EXACT SAME NUMBERS!! So, I hesitate to say that ALL JEEPS are the same or, at least the JK models so, for now, I have proven that at the very least, the 2015 model JKs DO NOT add miles when towing.
The key is removed when we're towing and not re-inserted in the ignition 'till we're ready to disconnect.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
Motorhome = 22000.

JKUR = zero.

I certainly does not on any vehicle that is out of the stone age. The new tech on vehicles will not register miles.

.Dead horse syndrome

WW

Dead horse syndrome

Trying to learn whether or not something is true or not, is not necessarily a "Dead horse" beating scenario. Apparently there are some that think racking up mileage on a towed vehicle DOES exist. And, this is why questions are ASKED on here. So far, it seems the majority are claiming there are NO MILES added when towing. And, as we all know, there ARE sometimes, changes on vehicles from year to year. So, is it possible for one year of a commonly towed vehicle (Jeep JK) to rack up miles when towed and, then other years of the same vehicle, to NOT rack up any miles?

We've towed many Jeeps over the years and, for the most part, NONE of them have ever accumulated any miles when being towed. But, I'm not an EXPERT as to the mechanical or, electrical design of intricate components, of later model year JKs. So, this is why I asked. Of course it seems logical that they SHOULDN'T accumulate mileage but, sometimes logic does not always prevail when it comes to man-made items. As stated, we've towed many vehicles, including not only Jeeps but, Honda CRVs, Toyota pickups, GMC pickups and more and, to this date, I've never seen any data, in any owners manual, or any other printed matter, that states: "This vehicle WILL NOT accumulate mileage, when being flat towed".
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhome = 22000.

JKUR = zero.

I certainly does not on any vehicle that is out of the stone age. The new tech on vehicles will not register miles.

Dead horse syndrome.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
jpmihalk wrote:
My 2010 JK Unlimited did not register miles when towing. There also was no steering lock and no key in the ignition. I would be very surprised if Jeep suddenly reverted back to requiring a battery disconnect or a key in the ignition.

Yeah, me too. I see no reason to revert back. I think he's maybe got some bad advice, imagine that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 JK Unlimited did not register miles when towing. There also was no steering lock and no key in the ignition. I would be very surprised if Jeep suddenly reverted back to requiring a battery disconnect or a key in the ignition.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I was pretty sure that there is no miles racked up when towing the later model JK. My buddies getting some KEMO and most likely will not be in the mood to talk towing jeeps for a day or two. So, when things settle down, we'll discuss what his thoughts are. Thanks for answering me on this. It's appreciated.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
^That would be interesting with no wheel lock^

I did catch the sarcasm.....LOL
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you could hook one facing the rear and then it would take away all of those miles for you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
A buddy of mine and I were talking the other day and, he has a 2012 Jeep JKR and he stated that, unless he pulls the negative battery cable when he tows, his jeep racks up miles.

One thing to consider is that guy is wrong. He may believe what he said, but that doesn't mean it is actually happening!

That would be my guess. He just looked at the odometer and thought it was different so he started pulling the battery cable and never really checked it a second time to see he was wrong.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
A buddy of mine and I were talking the other day and, he has a 2012 Jeep JKR and he stated that, unless he pulls the negative battery cable when he tows, his jeep racks up miles.

One thing to consider is that guy is wrong. He may believe what he said, but that doesn't mean it is actually happening!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2012 Rubicon doesn't tally towed miles, and I don't leave the key in the ignition. The key in the ACC position and disconnecting the battery was a hold over from when Jeeps had a steering wheel lock. Think they did away with that in late 2010 models. They just didn't bother to update the literature.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2011 JK doesn't and I thought I'd read on a Jeep forum someplace that this is true for any vehicle with an electronic dash, i.e. one that doesn't have a mechanical speedo.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If he's leaving the key in ACC then it is possible. 2012 was about the time FCA fixed the misprint in the OM regarding the need to leave the key in the ACC position when they issued an addendum. They went a few years with incorrect information in the OM's. This has been discussed in several other threads.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad