cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fumoto valve install

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere that you can change to a Fumoto valve when your oil pan is full by applying suction to the oil filler tube and then remove the normal drain plug and replace it with the Fumoto valve.
I have a new fumoto valve and need to change my oil and would like to do it the easy way and drain the old oil into jugs I already have.
Is this really true. Hate to try it and get oil everywhere.
Thanks for your comments
Busyguy
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
3 pages later, just drain the oil and then put in the valve.

BINGO!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 pages later, just drain the oil and then put in the valve.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm, back in the day of carburetor vehicles I don't know if it would be Completely safe. If the carb ran to rich and filled the pan with some gas then the gas fumes would be sucked up by the vacuum and KABOOM.

Some vacuums use part of the exhaust gas from the vacuum to cool the motor.

I heard of something like that happening once. I think it was on a episode of an old radio show called Car Talk.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
It will probably work, but I'd work quickly. Leave that vacuum on the oil fill too long, and you may suck the oil right up into the vacuum!
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago I had a dealer do it (used the shop vacuum) when the brass gasket on the drain plug cracked. Worked perfectly.

I would recommend NOT using your wife's house vacuum. Use your shop!

So I would say that the first time I saw it done was on my vehicle at least 25 years ago! KEEP the end of the vacuum hose TIGHT against the oil fill until after the Fumoto/drain plug is reinstated!
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^Only $20 for the labor, but what do they charge for the parts? ๐Ÿ™‚ It's pretty much a given that shops make a lot of their money from the parts price markup.

I furnished the oil, filter was $13 plus they grease, top off fluids, check the tires, brakes and batteries. OTD for $33.
Not too bad, but don't forget to include the cost of the oil in that price. Figure 3 gallons at $13/gallon, and that works out to around $75. Not a bad price, not super cheap, but a pretty good price, especially for a dealer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh so that's what that is called ! We have one on our farm's combine. It is quite nice !! (The one on the combine is a little bent because we could not figure out how to open it the first time.)

I think that I would wait until after the oil change and then install it. But, that's just me.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^Only $20 for the labor, but what do they charge for the parts? ๐Ÿ™‚ It's pretty much a given that shops make a lot of their money from the parts price markup.

I furnished the oil, filter was $13 plus they grease, top off fluids, check the tires, brakes and batteries. OTD for $33.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go ahead, let us know how it turns out.

X2. Would love to hear the results.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
The idea of using a shop vacuum at the oil fill hole while removing the drain plug is nothing new. I first saw it done at least 30 years ago and am sure that wasn't the first time it was done. In that case it was to replace a seeping plug but it worked well.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Even my Ram dealer only charges $20 labor for an oil change and will install the Fumoto.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mentioned that my TV holds 15 quarts of oil. So once the plug was pulled it needed a large container to catch all the oil. That's why I went to Wal-Mart for the first oil change. Now it's easy with the Fumoto valve and 4 milk jugs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, Fumoto is da bomb.

And I think I'd just drain the oil and install the plug at that point. If you go with the vacuum, which FWIW just sounds like a bad idea, keep that drain pan handy JIC, like rhagfo advised. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"