cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Flooring

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We got tired of trying to keep the carpet clean in the Sahara, so after a bit of research, we settled on Allure vinyl planking. Just got done ripping up the old carpet and wood flooring (which was nailed AND glued down) yesterday. Found a couple of soft spots in the subfloor and walls from previous leaks that I'll be patching today.

Here's the end of the demo. Flooring's being delivered Friday. I'll post the end result.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
28 REPLIES 28

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Aren't there several alure products
I'm sure different users are talking about different products
Self stick verus glue down verus interlock planking

We did Pergo interlocking planks in a previous RV and loved it

Yes, there is a version with sticky strips along the edges that interlock, call Grip-Strip. The other is a click together setup where you click in the long edge and then slide the short edge together and click that. I pick the grip strip because I figured it would resist cupping in the non-climate controlled environment.
Jerry & Jeanne

MrWizard
Aren't there several alure products
I'm sure different users are talking about different products
Self stick verus glue down verus interlock planking

We did Pergo interlocking planks in a previous RV and loved it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Allure rips right up very easy and you can pull it right out from under the baseboards. The kids can even do it. 900 SF of it does make a big pile though and the pickup filled up quickly. In a RV, it will just be a small load to take to the dump. No worries.
I would suggest that ANY floating floor, Allure or otherwise, would be easy to pull up and out from under baseboards.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
just buy the tongue and groove engineered wood that is not floating then adhere it with urethane adhesive
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
erniee wrote:
engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive is the way to go. doesn't shrink, expand, seams don't break apart. It just stays put

So just buy the floating engineered flooring and glue it down?
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great jplante4, I installed the locking no glue vinyl allure floororing last fall with great results. Went thru a Maryland winter of twenty degrees. No heat in RV, with no seperations of the planking, except one plank. Upon removing the plank I found a small stone I must of tracked in and missed on installation. Once again great job and hope you will be happy, I know we are very satisfied with the upgrade
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after waiting a week or so for the ambient temps on Cape Cod to get above 60, finally I started this project.

Here's a shot of the prep work and the first few rows. Anything that is bolted or screwed to the floor (the co-pilot seat, the TV cabinet etc) are up on shims and the floor cut around it. I left 1/8" all the way around the perimeter. The idea is to get the entire floor to expand and contract as a unit.

The finished floor, minus the couch which will arrive early June. I guess we'll do our Assateague trip on the lawn chairs.

We'll see what happens and I'll report back next spring after a full set of seasons. It was less than $300 in material and about 20 hours of work, most of it prep.
Jerry & Jeanne

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
There have been failures with Allure and sometimes it's the installer who don't float the planking or install it against the walls on both sides that don't allow for any expansion. We used it in our motorhome and after 2 years we are satisfied. A well regarded RV shop in our area uses it their reflooring jobs is one of the main reasons we used it. 😉

Hey go for it. Some guys will marry a woman who killed her first husband and have no problems. Risking a problem with a junky floor seems like a minimal risk to take.

Allure rips right up very easy and you can pull it right out from under the baseboards. The kids can even do it. 900 SF of it does make a big pile though and the pickup filled up quickly. In a RV, it will just be a small load to take to the dump. No worries.

I installed the Alure over 1/2, one side sanded plywood with 3/4 OSB tongue and grove subfloor under that. All screwed down and the seams and screws all filled with floor leveler and sanded smooth. I rolled the Alure with a rented 100 pound roller as required by Alure and left room for expansion around the room. The baseboards were not pinching the flooring. The product was in the house for a week before we installed it so it acclimated to humidity and temperature.

Seams opened up in 6 months and it puckered up and looked like it had goose bumps. Also it scuffed up easily.

The main problem I had removing it was that I had to remove my baseboards and move them up higher to allow for the thicker Pergo. Then I had to repaint the baseboards. Also had to cut the door jams higher.

In an RV, you're going to have a large temperature swings from very hot to really cold. Good luck!

I'd recommend using a better quality product than Alure but you could look at the first install as a "trial run" and maybe use the Alure as a pattern to use when you cut the Pergo.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
There have been failures with Allure and sometimes it's the installer who don't float the planking or install it against the walls on both sides that don't allow for any expansion. We used it in our motorhome and after 2 years we are satisfied. A well regarded RV shop in our area uses it their reflooring jobs is one of the main reasons we used it. 😉

This is what I'm thinking. I'm being very careful to not screw through the floor to mount things and I'm leaving a gap around everything that penetrate the flooring. I think that if the entire floor moves as a unit then it won't expand the joints. Plus this flooring has the grip strip, which is an adhesive tab on 2 sides. Do you know if they put rosin paper under your floor?
Jerry & Jeanne

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer

Fleetwood_Coupl
Explorer
Explorer
For those that have replaced the carpet with thinner or thicker materials was there a slide adjustment necessary after words? The previous owner replaced the carpet in my Class A with engineered wood but in the 3 years I have owned it, it has lots of scratches from the rollers and I want to replace it again with something thinner like Pergo or a look alike vinyl.
2006 Fleetwood Expedition 38n
300 Cat Engine (MP-8 Performance Module)
Retired US Navy SCPO

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive is the way to go. doesn't shrink, expand, seams don't break apart. It just stays put
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I've watched numerous threads on re-flooring over the years and, we're just not decided on which way to go yet. Ours is half carpet and half ceramic tile from the factory on our '04 Horizon 36GD. I've been thinking about a material that we used when we re-did the boat floor. It's called Infinity luxury Vinyl flooring. This stuff is phenomenal. It's made in several surface types, colors and looks. Part of the RV industry is actually going to this flooring.
The surface is ultra strong and durable and, it's laminated with either 1/8" or 3/16" urethane foam backing. Anyway, this is just one other option.
Scott

http://infinitylwv.com/
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Not using the grip strip type Allure, although it was recommended by someone here that's done dozens of RV floors. I guess the particular color we wanted doesn't come in grip strip at HoD. It's cheap enough to replace if it doesn't work out and it's floating so not a huge job. I'll be laying down some rosin paper under it.

You're correct it comes up easy. You'll find out in one season how easy it is to rip up.

ROTFLMAO
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU