cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

395 from Southern California to northern California 37 ft

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a good road to see several national parks?
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
19 REPLIES 19

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks keep the info coming. Probably going to take about a month to get through California. Not in a hurry. I am retired. ......
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

atperci
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a trip up one side of the Sierras and then back down the other side. That way you can cover everything there is to see on both sides. Unless you're planning to leave WV and drive straight through to California in less than a couple of weeks, Tioga Pass (Highway 120) through Yosemite will probably be open. However, the amount of snow we have had this year (and we're still getting more) it maybe late June before its open. If it isn't, Highway 58 to/from Bakersfield, Highway 50 south of Lake Tahoe, and I-80 between Sacramento and Reno are the only routes over.

On the Eastern side I would add Devil's Postpile National Monument near Mammoth and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest near Big Pine, oldest living things on the planet. Although at 10,000+ft make sure you're in good health to do it. Also make a quick stop at Convict Lake and take a drive around June Lake Loop, both you can do in less than an hour each.

There are many Campgrounds all around both sides that would make it easy park the motorhome and ride wherever you want. It will be an amazing trip no matter what. Enjoy!

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much any state hwy that goes east or west from 99 will be a nice ride once you get out of the valley. If you go east of 99 it will get you to hwy 49 which is a north/south route that is a great ride.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
How about nice motorcycle rides off Rte 99

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
So much to see

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I vote yes for Bodie. We spent half a day once and want to go again. The first half of the access road is paved, the second half is washboard. If you take your RV there, don't go on the weekend, as parking is limited. There are several tours you can buy, and we took the stamping mill tour. Terrific. You can also wander all over the town and the graveyard(s).

You might also want to see the film museum in Lone Pine, especially if you remember the old-time films.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I am in no hurry I might ride my trike that way I am sitting up base camps and riding trike

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
Sounds like 99 would be best to see NP. Thanks for the info I will be leaving in the middle of May from west virginia.

Rick, if you head up the 99, when you get to Tulare give a wave and roll down your window and enjoy our dairy air.
We are at the foot of the Sequoias and it's a little farther up to Yosimitee.
The one place we enjoy on the 395 is Bodie. It's a ghost town and a fun way to spend a day.
You won't get there on the 99.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
gery_L wrote:
I use 395 every time starting at Kramer Junction (40/395). .

Ahhhh, not quite. I-40 stops in Barstow where you pick up Hwy 58 to Kramer Junction and 395.

Living off of 395 most of my life I can highly recommend traveling this road. The easter Sierras are magnificent to behold, plus lots of hiking, fishing, exploring to do all the way from Ridgecrest to Reno.

There are several passes over the Sierras to the western side, but most are 9000' or higher and obviously are snow covered up to and sometimes including May. Three passes, Hwy 120 (at Lee Vining that goes to Yosemite), Hwy 50 (at Carson City that goes through Lake Tahoe) and I-80 (at Reno) are nice roads and traveled by any size rv. Others are really not recommended for large rv's.

There is also Hwy 178 over the southern Sierras (near Ridgecrest) that will go over to Bakersfield (but also not really recommended for large rv's) or stay on Hwy 58 through Tehachapi to Bakersfield that typically is open all year around and is the east to west truck route to central California.

No national parks on the eastern side of the Sierras with the exception of Death Valley and if you're coming from the east, there are much better access routes to DV from the eastern side.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like 99 would be best to see NP. Thanks for the info I will be leaving in the middle of May from west virginia.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
SCH911, nope! Or not yet anyway. National Park Service says, "The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow. There is no estimated opening date, although the roads usually open sometime in May or June."

Yes, it's like this every year. But since the OP didn't specify a timeframe for his trip we should be giving him the best information. Thanks for the update.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And http://www.monolake.org/today/roads says NO estimated opening date for Tioga Pass.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
SCH911, nope! Or not yet anyway. National Park Service says, "The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow. There is no estimated opening date, although the roads usually open sometime in May or June."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad