Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

02 Roadtrek 200 popular coach battery location

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

I have a new (to me) Roadtrek. I can't seem to locate the coach battery or how to access it. My last Roadtrek (03 190 Versatile) had it in the drivers side rear behind the wheel well accessed by going into the storage compartment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
1983 Coleman Columbia (sold)
1995 Coleman (Fleetwood) Sequoia (sold)
1984 Coleman Sun Valley (sold)
1996 Sunnybrook 26DB (Sold)
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)
2011 Keystone Bullet Premiere 19 FBPR (current)
7 REPLIES 7

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
OMG !!! Thank you Bill. GREAT detailed explanation. I am sure it will help others too. Thanks.
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Paul,
Getting it out isn't that bad. You'll see that, at the base of the battery, between the battery and the bumper, you have a bolt going through a small plate holding the battery in place. Sort of hard to explain, but if you look around you'll find it. Remove that bolt and the battery is free to slide out sideways.
As far as the electrical connection goes, disconnecting the negative is fairly easy. The cable goes to the chassis ground and at the battery end, you can see it quite well. Once that is disconnected, I cover the negative battery terminal with a blanket to avoid shorting it with the positive terminal. The negative terminal has to remain floating if you want to be safe during the process.
I used a mirror to see how the positive side was connected. I then used a small ratchet to disconnect the positive terminal. I put electrical tape on the ratchet's handle to make doubly sure I didn't short anything. This is certainly overkill, because if the negative terminal is floating, it should be safe.
You can then move back and slide the battery out.
To get a larger group 27 (105 Ah) battery in there was a bit more of a challenge. I removed the bolt holding the propane connector to the rear bumper to give me a bit more room. The battery was too heavy to hold at arm's length. I used a floor jack with a 2 foot by 2 foot piece of plywood on top of it. I placed the new battery in th middle of the piece of plywood. As my wife was raising the jack, I held the side of the plywood to keep everything in balance. When it was fully raised, the plywood was in contact with the rear bumper and the generator and propane tank. The battery just needed to be raised by hand another half inch or so and then slid into place. I thought the new larger battery was sticking out a bit too much so I made a bracket out of angle iron to support it.
Later on I added an inverter. Making the connections by feel really isn't fun!
Bill

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bill, Yes please. Either here (might help others) or PM me. I am very interested as my existing battery is from early 2012 (according to the previous owners records) and I expect to replace it this year.

Thank you so much. Paul.../NH
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
The 200 is a very well designed RT ... the best in my view. However, as far as the house battery goes, I'm really left with the impression that they forgot about it and it was an afterthought ... "OMG, we forgot about the battery! Where will we put it?" the designer yelled out!. And yes, you have to install a maintenance free battery. You have to take the negative terminal off first, and then feel inside to find the positive one. Cover the negative terminal of the battery with something to avoid a short circuit. I was able to fit a bigger group 27 battery in there. Getting it back in isn't easy. I can detail how I did it, if you need the info.

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!! I just went out and found it. Thanks BillJ.. What a DUMB place to put it.... How do you access/change it? The cables are on top. Very odd. I guess when it goes I am putting in a maint free batt.
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the rear of the RT, just in front of the rear bumper, near the trailer hitch. Only the 200 has the battery located there. Not too convenient.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Call Roadtrek and ask them!