cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting Slideout

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
In another thread, I mentioned that I'm replacing all of my seals around my slideout. While inspecting the slideout itself, I noticed that it's out of adjustment so I'll be doing that as well. Probably why it squeals so horribly! For those of you that have done these adjustments, would you do the vertical or horizontal adjustment first? I'm thinking the vertical should be first only so I don't butt the slideout up against the frame. Also, would you raise the right side and lower the left side going back and forth until it's correct? Here is a picture of what the situation is.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
6 REPLIES 6

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update. I adjusted my slide out and it works much better now. Still a squeal when going in or out over the hump but not as loud as it was. Other than that it's operating as it should. I was only able to raise the right side The left side would not drop down even though there was plenty of travel for it to go down so all adjustments were done from the one side. I then did a slight horizontal adjustment to make it even on both sides. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I also put the new seals on. Much easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was cleaning the old double sided tape that was left behind from the old seals. I used lighter fluid on a rag and it came off without too much elbow grease.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I will make small adjustments and run the slide in and out and hopefully will have some improvement. There have been grease marks on the carpeting after the slide has gone out and both end caps inside (the fake wood vertical stiles) have popped off as well and I've had to reattach them. Where it sits on the floor now sits up higher than before. It used to sit about an inch up from the main floor when the slide was in. Now it sits more than two inches above the main floor and no, we've never stepped on it while in. The squeal really is bad. Not the kind of little squeal that's annoying and temporarily better because of using lubrication. I've done all that more than once with no improvement. It's the kind of squeal where people at a campground, hear it and look over. Some have even come over to tell me "That's not right". It wasn't until I took the seals off that I noticed how out of square the slide is. I'll accept that it may not be square or be perfect after adjusting it but hopefully there will be some improvement.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
blangen wrote:
What Scott said!

I would add... don't assume that the inch difference is not how it's been all along.

To emphasize: Small adjustments looking for all negatives. Even check the operation of your compartment doors as you proceed. There are many things that can be affected and there are, quite possible, tight tolerances, already.

I agree...One thing I have noticed, is that some of the actual long time techs on this forum, do not chime in much, on slideout adjusting. I think because there is no standard, each slide may require special attention to proper fit.

Jerry

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
What Scott said!

I would add... don't assume that the inch difference is not how it's been all along.

To emphasize: Small adjustments looking for all negatives. Even check the operation of your compartment doors as you proceed. There are many things that can be affected and there are, quite possible, tight tolerances, already.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've done a bit of this.
For every adjustment you will find there is a reaction someplace else.
Raising one side may also change the tilt of the room.
Lowering one side may square it up but may also cause it to exert too much down force on the floor as it comes in.
It ends up being a trade off between being square and true and operating without negative effects.
Make small changes. Dont try to level the slide in one adjustment. Make a small adjustment and then run it in and out a couple of times while watching for binding or clearance issues. Keep making small adjustments until it's as good as it can get. Dont expect perfection, you may not be able to achieve it.
Does the slide sit too hard against the carpet on one side when it in or leave an indentation? If so I would raise that end first.
As for the squeal, some slides have hard plastic guides that rub against the upside down channel on each side of the slide. It's just plastic against metal and so it makes that awful noise. You can lube it but it wont last long and the noise is back.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have no slide adjustment experience. That being said, going by your picture, I would raise the right side up a half inch, then lower the left a half inch. Seems to me, that would be all that is necessary.

I replaced my upper D bulb seal last fall. That was a straight forward easy job.

Jerry