cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer 7 pin to 7 and 4 pin adapter

casefarmri
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class A that has a 7 pin plug. I need an adapter that would allow me to connect vehicle which uses 7 pin for brake buddy and a 4 pin that would allow me to use external trailer lights on roof. Because of wiring mod to use brake buddy, 4 pin in back of car at car hitch doesn't let external roof lights light up when motorhome brakes are applied.
Is anything like this possible and is it for sale?
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hikerdogs: You understand as I do. Changing the receptacle out to provide the 7 pin and a four flat.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I believe some are not understanding the OP's request.
What I understand, is he wants two feeds to the toad. One uses the seven pin connector and the second for a set of auxilary lights(magnetic or ?) on top of toad.

I'm not sure which posts you're referring to as to not understanding the OP's request. We installed a socket combination similar to the one I linked on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. The 7 pin socket powered the lights and electric brakes on our tow dolly. The 4 pin connector powered the magnetic brake/tail lights we put on the trunk of the car.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe some are not understanding the OP's request.
What I understand, is he wants two feeds to the toad. One uses the seven pin connector and the second for a set of auxilary lights(magnetic or ?) on top of toad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a 4 pole and 7 pole socket you can install.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57674.html

The flat 4 pole socket connects the right brake light, right directional light, left brake light, left directional light, and running lights.

Here's a link to the standard trailer connector wiring diagrams.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check Ebay too, they have a plethora of adapters. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I did not find any adapter that has the capability of using both the 7 pin RV and a flat four at the same time.
What I showed was a replacement receptacle that accomplishes it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Picked mine up at Northern Tool. 7-pin round to 4=pin flat

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many RV stores have it.. So do some auto departments and parts stores

U-Haul Hitch World will have it.. IN STOCK at least every one I've seen, Some U-Haul stgores (NON Hitch World) will also have it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mooshaker
Explorer
Explorer
I needed a 7 prong plug to a 4 prong round. Could not find it, Only could find 7 to 4 flat, I cut off the 4 round and replaced it with a 7 prong male plug. Problem solved. Works great.

casefarmri
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks enblethen.
I looked these over and not quite what I had in mind. They dont look like they will fit directly into a 7 pin RV socket. I may be wrong but male side doesnt look likeit would sty in with RV lid holding down. If you are familiar with just "adapter", that has a rv style 7 pin and a 4 pin extension or feed off let me know.
But thnks for quick repy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hopkins make several part numbers 48470, 40955, or 40975
Hopkins

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow