cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of a 53' semi-Fifth wheel by Spacecraft

On_the_road_wi2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All we are on our 3rd fifth wheel, and love the living space it offers, however lacks the storage of a Class A bus.
We have been in discussion Spacecraft and they make (I think the best of both worlds). With a 53' trailer offering 10' of garage we would get all that we want. Issue is i can't seem to find anyone who has a similar setup.
Are campgrounds hard to find for such setups? What else should I consider?
Thanks,
Sly
Sly
2015 3500 GMC Denali
2014 Jayco Pinnacle 38 Flfs
60 REPLIES 60

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it comes down to the desired use of the OP. What are the priorities? Can't have it all no matter how much money is available to throw at it.

A big luxurious unit is not going into SPs NPs or show up unannounced at plenty of private CGs. A unit capable of going to all those places is not big enough to have all of the room & comforts of a 50' rolling house.

OPs choice.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
If storage is an issue I am not sure that 53 ft. is the answer. If money is no problem -- and it appears it is not -- then you should be talking to New Horizon RV or Continental RV about having one custom built.
Custom builders can give you everything you want well within 53 ft.

You also probably need to go to one of the HDT Rallys and look at the rigs these full time people are towing. Not many of them fall into the 50 ft. range.

JMHO but I would do a lot more RESEARCH.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
The carnival and movie industry snap them up as fast as they can. There are no used units available.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Yep, a KOA or most any private CG will find a space to cram something that sized into but that is about the same thing as eating at Dennys for every single meal.

If that is what floats your boat, fine, but it sure is restrictive on where it can go.

Something else to think about is when the day comes to sell it. That day WILL come. Maybe sooner than the OP thinks. Who is going to want something that size? A very small potential buyer pool.
Actually on the used market it would make a good seasonal.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, a KOA or most any private CG will find a space to cram something that sized into but that is about the same thing as eating at Dennys for every single meal.

If that is what floats your boat, fine, but it sure is restrictive on where it can go.

Something else to think about is when the day comes to sell it. That day WILL come. Maybe sooner than the OP thinks. Who is going to want something that size? A very small potential buyer pool.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
A little late to the thread, but if they want and can afford this type of trailer, more power to them. If it was me and using this trailer, I might have someone move the trailer from place to place and follow in my own car. The cost of the tow vehicle and insurance might equal out to the cost of having someone tow the trailer.

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
A 53 foot custom unit is huge, most are for folks that don't travel in normal circles....
Drivers license depends on states.... California is Cali.... other states have other requirements for different styles of rigs.
Our Volvo is titled as a motorhome in South Dakota requires no CDL or other endorsements other than a normal license. Even though our combined weight is over 40k lbs, neither part, trailer or truck, is over 26000lbs.
Custom RV's are planned for carefully. My likes will not be yours, so if I design my rig..... its gonna be mine unless it's sold a step discount.
All the custom builders do small rigs as well. Most make their most popular sizes in the 36-42/3 foot range.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Having already owned 5ers you should be very well aware of size restrictions. Bottom line is, at that length you are not going many places. Certainly not lots of very nice SPs & NPs. Life will be restricted to private parks after having to call around to find one able to handle that size. The La-Ti-Da Class A only resorts won't want you. Can't have a towable polluting their real estate.

What are you carrying that needs such a monsterous unit?

It would have to be exclusively in private parks but I haven't been to a KOA yet that couldn't fit that in a pull through.... lots of them are 70-80ft.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
It's California. Don't confuse common sense with reality.

Here's a link to the summary of DL classes at the CA DMV. Noncommercial Class A stops at 45 feet.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart

It has nothing to do with whether you're using the vehicle for business or not. All pickup trucks (regardless of size) are required to pay for commercial plates. That's why I feel free to park at the yellow curbs (commercial only).

Why do people want to live in that state? Nothing yall do makes sense.
Location Location Location

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Hi, trying again...

Housecar is defined in the Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook.

Housecar:
-Motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanetly attached. (CVC 362)

NOTE: Motor Vehicle

The folks I've talked to at the DMV and CHP preach from a different page in the hymnal. I've reviewed the Class A guide with the lovlies at the DMV and also with a CHP trooper (neighbor) and their message was consistent: keep your fifth wheel under 45' or upgrade your license to full Class A.

Don't forget, we're nuts.

Don't forget the "fruits" to go along with the nuts. 🙂

Lyle (an actual citrus grower in Tulare Co.)
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Who says he needs it, maybe he just wants it. His money, his life, his choice.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having already owned 5ers you should be very well aware of size restrictions. Bottom line is, at that length you are not going many places. Certainly not lots of very nice SPs & NPs. Life will be restricted to private parks after having to call around to find one able to handle that size. The La-Ti-Da Class A only resorts won't want you. Can't have a towable polluting their real estate.

What are you carrying that needs such a monsterous unit?

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Ask them for chapter and verse where it defines "housecar" Their search engine on their website can't find one. The definition in the RV Handbook is the only thing I found. You might get their book off their shelf and point out the definition to them.

But you're right, Gov Moonbeam is on a different planet...
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

dedmiston
avvidclif1 wrote:
Hi, trying again...

Housecar is defined in the Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook.

Housecar:
-Motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanetly attached. (CVC 362)

NOTE: Motor Vehicle

The folks I've talked to at the DMV and CHP preach from a different page in the hymnal. I've reviewed the Class A guide with the lovlies at the DMV and also with a CHP trooper (neighbor) and their message was consistent: keep your fifth wheel under 45' or upgrade your license to full Class A.

Don't forget, we're nuts.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230