cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank recertification

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
The 30lb tanks in my 5th wheel need to be recertified or replaced. I have tried to locate a place that does recertification near me in SW PA but no luck. The propane suppliers don't offer the service and cannot recommend a place.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to look or is it just better to buy two new tanks?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
30 REPLIES 30

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
mchero wrote:
I have a 30 gallon tank under the coach. The connection to fill is in the right rear compartment. Over 3 years of filling No One EVER has crawled under to in ad pact. I myself will inspect the tank just to make sure all is well.

You have a TANK
ASME has jurisdiction
NO inspection/recertification/requalification required because it is a TANK---permanently mounted.

DOT has jurisdiction over the Portable CYLINDERS.
They require recertification
Reason is because every jackamo can disconnect them, handle them, install them etc.

TANKS only need an inspection if damaged by fire, crash or heavily rusted. It is recommended that the relief valve be replaced after 10 yrs. But is a recommendation only

In Ontario all propane tanks, vehicle mounted or stationary require an inspection every 10 years, it is illegal for someone to fill one unless it has a sticker showing it is current.

In Ontario it is also illegal to pump gas into a motorhome unless the propane tank is shut off.

A lot of reg's were tightened up after a large explosion and fire in Toronto a few years back.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a Trump fan, but the whole notion of government safety regulations often seems more than a bit useless. Propane tank certification surely qualifies. I cannot understand why recertification is needed at 12 years and what testing is involved with recertification.

The biggest rip off is my 50 gallon household tank. Regs require an annual "inspection". I believe that involves looking at the tank and checking for leaks with a handheld device. I get charged $75 a year for that.

Anyway back to RV tanks. I cannot understand what is involved in the recertification or why it is needed. I understand they check to make sure the tank is not rusting out. Mine are kept in a compartment in the side of my RV. They are not going to rust out in my lifetime. It should not take a recertification to see if a tank has been banged up and rusted in a wet environment. That could happen within a year or so. Next they check the seals for leaks. The seals can be damaged at any time due to a bad connector or they could last for decades. Again, the recertification does not seem to be helpful for this issue.

Most of us have found a way around recertification. We take our old tanks for exchange. We get ripped off for a tank that is less than 80 percent full but at least no one cares if the empty is out of date. I tried exchanges at Home Depot (Paragas) and at Lowes (Blue Rhino). I got back tanks that were way over 12 years old and did not have markings for recertification. I would not be able to get these refilled elsewhere. One of the tanks had a bad seal and a slow leak.

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
This is what the regs. (law) in the U.S.A. states. In Canada the law might be the same or should I say similar. Thank you Mr. Old Biscuit - you rule!

p.s. I now wonder if the Mx. butane regulations are like those in N.A.F.T.A.?
BOSTON BLK

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
mchero wrote:
I have a 30 gallon tank under the coach. The connection to fill is in the right rear compartment. Over 3 years of filling No One EVER has crawled under to in ad pact. I myself will inspect the tank just to make sure all is well.

You have a TANK
ASME has jurisdiction
NO inspection/recertification/requalification required because it is a TANK---permanently mounted.

DOT has jurisdiction over the Portable CYLINDERS.
They require recertification
Reason is because every jackamo can disconnect them, handle them, install them etc.

TANKS only need an inspection if damaged by fire, crash or heavily rusted. It is recommended that the relief valve be replaced after 10 yrs. But is a recommendation only
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary halt on new regs pending NPGA challenge to the validity of the rulemaking change. The regulation was changed without any rationale or justification provided.

Link to enforcement halt order.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
"As another poster mentioned the filling station CAN make a "VISUAL" inspection AND REFILL even when the certification time has run out..."
I believe that you are mistaken. Can you please cite a source?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I thought I read there was a new ruling that the small tanks didn't need recertified for 12 years now. But a quick search didn't come up with anything... I know I read that somewhere recently...

Roy Ken

DOT requirement has been recert 12 yrs after date of mfg. on propane cylinders 4#-40#

That recert requirement has been rewritten at 1st of year....10 yrs after date of mfg. but has NOT been released (it was and then pulled)
SO as for now it is still 12 yrs after date of mfg. as stamped on protective collar.

OP......

SW PA?
Lot of territory
Do you have a Suburban Propane Vendor?

My local Co-Op must not have got the word - Two weeks ago I had to get one re-certified that was 11 years old. $5 for a five year additional sticker good for 5 years. Got it at Ferrellgas.

They (DOT) rewrote the requirement to change recert date and change length of recerts.
They published/released new recert THEN PULLED it.
Typical govbernent ----now folks are confused. Is it still 12 yr or 10 yr after date of mfg.

:B:B:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I thought I read there was a new ruling that the small tanks didn't need recertified for 12 years now. But a quick search didn't come up with anything... I know I read that somewhere recently...

Roy Ken

DOT requirement has been recert 12 yrs after date of mfg. on propane cylinders 4#-40#

That recert requirement has been rewritten at 1st of year....10 yrs after date of mfg. but has NOT been released (it was and then pulled)
SO as for now it is still 12 yrs after date of mfg. as stamped on protective collar.

OP......

SW PA?
Lot of territory
Do you have a Suburban Propane Vendor?

My local Co-Op must not have got the word - Two weeks ago I had to get one re-certified that was 11 years old. $5 for a sticker good for 5 additional years. Got it at Ferrellgas.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
This sad thread has been 'rolling' downhill since the get go. Now hear this, rather picture this. A dozen or so yrs. ago - we parked in Acapulco, Mx. for the winter. Best place to get our tanks refilled was about 1/2 hr. drive north. Dumb me watched as the Mx. tech. removed part of the valve prior to refill. I don't speak the lingo but, understood that was needed for some bumb reason; i.e. purge.

Months later in Texas, the dude there said I needed an valve upgrade to comply with their (Tx.) regs. X dollars later, I was good to go, with a full tank.
The new upgrades plus date were stamped on the top of tank near the handle(s).

Now, later still back in Canada - local refill guy looked puzzled and said he could not refill due to the markings (from Tx. USA) which he could not 'comprendee' - whatever.

Lessons learnt - go at night to a busy service station - where, tank refills are done, with nothing more then, pay . . . . and have a good nite, sir. BB
p.s. So much for NAFTA!
BOSTON BLK

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Thanks for the information. Did they stamp a new date on the bottle neck? I have found that some just visually check and do not stamp new date.

I have found a local welding place that will perform a visual inspection and if OK will fill them. My bottles are clean and no rust as they are in inside compartments on my 5th wheel.

They Re-certify with new stickers, which was my goal so that we could refill *anywhere* if we were on the road ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree it is "Nanny state extortion" Call your Congressman ๐Ÿ˜‰

Everyone shouldn't have to PAY extra fees because there are stupid people out there. Allow the filling stations to do their visual checks and give them discretion to fill or not based upon condition. No fees. Simple.

At least when I am carded at Walmart to buy lighter fluid or spray paint, they don't CHARGE me to do it...yet! ๐Ÿ˜›

BTW, last time they did that at Tractor Supply (don't remember what, but 18+ I think), I told her I could be her father's father. LOL.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why it is so hard to find a place.
My next step would be to call some places en-route or at my next camping destination.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
The 30lb tanks in my 5th wheel need to be recertified or replaced. I have tried to locate a place that does recertification near me in SW PA but no luck. The propane suppliers don't offer the service and cannot recommend a place.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to look or is it just better to buy two new tanks?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave.

Dale Oxygen $5 per tank, all over.

Amerigas Delmont. Call ahead to their office

Just had mine done at Dale Oxygen. Less than $50 for both 30lbs filled and recertified.

Thanks for the information. Did they stamp a new date on the bottle neck? I have found that some just visually check and do not stamp new date.

I have found a local welding place that will perform a visual inspection and if OK will fill them. My bottles are clean and no rust as they are in inside compartments on my 5th wheel.
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dpgllg wrote:
boston blacky wrote:
dpgllg;

Not all places check the expiry or re-certify date(s). For the past two (2) yrs. I've taken one of my - 'pass due date' tanks to a place where the tech. does not check!! Some readers may feel it might be unsafe to do this - but I think it's just another "rip off". bb

I always got mine filled at Tractor Supply close by and good cost. Never had them check but they updated their policy at least at my store and check every tank. Not in date not filled

THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM, Tractor Supply is a joke.

They used to sell welding gas cylinders then would exchange your empty tank for a filled one..

Paid $150 for a shielding gas cylinder, then about a year ago I needed to exchange my empty.. THEY STOPPED ALL WELDING GAS SALES!

Yeah, my tank I purchased from them now was a $150 DOOR STOP.

Fortunately for me, I remembered the brand name and discovered that the New Rural King store that came into my area HANDLES THE SAME BRAND! RK did the exchange for me and I no longer will set foot in a Tractor Supply store again.

There are PLENTY of places out there that will gladly fill your cylinder. You just need to look around.

I have a small town no name hardware store about 2 miles from my home that fills my cylinders.

Just about any welding supply worth their weight will have propane filling capability (WHY you ask? Well many places that do a lot of steel cutting USE PROPANE as a cheaper alternative to using Acetylene gas for the cutting torches).

You will not find a refilling station at big box stores, Walmart, Sams ect.. You may find some small gas stations sometimes that will have propane filling..

As far as recertifying, YES, pretty much ALL places send them out. The reason for this is not many places will have the facilities to do this properly.. It is cheaper to send out to a third party.

Just about any good welding supply place that sells welding gasses should be able to send out to get recertified.. Yeah, that does take time but you CAN in the mean time use a 20 lb cylinder in place of a 30 lb cylinder as a temporary fix..

So, if you have a gas grill you can borrow that 20 lb cylinder while your 30 lb on is being recertified.