cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How old are your shocks

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are 10 years old this summer no sign of being worn out. 40 ft diesel pusher, 65 K miles.
13 REPLIES 13

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
DSP Don

AMEN to that!!!

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Yes....You only need to change the shocks in pairs. When I had my Monaco, I changed them from the OEM shock to Koni's FSD's. The elimination of the sharp pounding in the front end was worth it all by itself. The elephant walking was substantially reduced and the cornering went from the wallowing of a 60's Cadillac to that of a 2017 SUV.

I changed the shocks out on my Dutch Star and found that they only offered the Koni FSD's for the rear and tag. Because the shock travel is so short on Independent Front Suspensions (IFS), they only offered the Koni Adjustables, no FSD's. I tried the Adjustables and found little difference. I called Koni and asked if they would use me to test FSD's for the IFS, but they just were not making them for the IFS.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, Koni finally came out with a new shock for IFS front ends.....the Koni EVO. It had a much larger piston. I installed the EVO's and finally got the ride I thought the coach should have. Is it a limousine, no, but it's substantially better than the way Freightliner shipped it from the factory. The result was a quieter front end (cab) and a softer ride. The best way to describe it.....it feels like I reduced the front tire air pressure by 10-15 pounds.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed the 11 year old Sachs front shocks for the new Koni shocks for the IFS. The difference is incredible!

Will probably do the rears soon, but the fronts do more of the work we actually feel.

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP DON Can you just change out the front and not the back?

et2
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
You guys are kidding right?????.....did you all go out and push on the bumper and check for rebound:S

Heck, the Sachs shocks on my new Dutch Star were useless. Any of you with Monaco's running the OEM shocks would think you died and went to heaven if you changed to Koni's. Your shocks got old with the coach and you never noticed the gradual change. Many of you would immediately see an improvement in cornering and handling with a new modern shock.

I certainly wouldn't brag that my 10, 15 or 20 year old shocks were still working great. The technology in just the past 5 years has greatly improved shock performance.

I just switched to the new Koni EVO on the front of my Freightliner chassis (IFS) and finally get some relief from the harsh ride. Now I only hear the potholes, versus feeling them.

LOL. So true. I switched the factory Sach shocks out after my new MH was a year old. Terrible ride. Purchased Koni's - huge difference.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are kidding right?????.....did you all go out and push on the bumper and check for rebound:S

Heck, the Sachs shocks on my new Dutch Star were useless. Any of you with Monaco's running the OEM shocks would think you died and went to heaven if you changed to Koni's. Your shocks got old with the coach and you never noticed the gradual change. Many of you would immediately see an improvement in cornering and handling with a new modern shock.

I certainly wouldn't brag that my 10, 15 or 20 year old shocks were still working great. The technology in just the past 5 years has greatly improved shock performance.

I just switched to the new Koni EVO on the front of my Freightliner chassis (IFS) and finally get some relief from the harsh ride. Now I only hear the potholes, versus feeling them.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
17 years old. No problems showing up yet.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
20 years old in four months
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea. I haven't got to that part of the project. They don't look that hard to take of on my old 1986 HR though.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure that mine are the originals. Bilsteins. 14 years.
In fact, when I had mine at Spartan for Ball Joint Replacements in 2015, they said the shocks were still in fine shape.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as you are the original purchaser of the shocks, or RV with those shocks, both Bilsteins and Konis are warranted for life. I don't know about the other brands.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
14 and no noticeable bounce.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
18 years old and still doing fine. Bilstein, best I can tell. My front leaf springs, on the other hand...they are shot....especially on the driver's side...the same side as the kitchen/sofa slide. Added air bags as a temporary assist, but will be replacing them this year.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------