cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3-Way Frige Kaput - Suggestions

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
So after reading an earlier post about someones freezer getting to 0 but the refrigerator at about 50 degrees and all of the comments about "ït's toast", I am resigned to the fact that mine's toast also. Same symptoms and 2 years of a host of other issues and I'm a believer.

I've planned for this from the standpoint that I've already decided that when a replacement is needed I'd go with a 12V (only) replacement that utilizes a Danfoss compressor. I have (2) T-105 Rolls 6V batteries (225Amp total) and permanent solar with MPPT controller. All LED lights and planning on going with a catalytic (propane) heater. Energy draw is at a minimum. Now the hard part -- picking the refrigerator.

So looking at tons of online information and my space limitations it appears that the Dometic models are just the same box with a different compressor/power setup. Not bad for direct slide in but we're not really happy with the existing box as it's really small inside (2.7 cu. ft.) with a ton of electro-mechanics outside that take up a bunch of usable space. What I've found online is a brand/model from a company that markets to Marine installations called an IsoTherm. The Isotherm 130 model offers 4.7cu. ft. of refrigerator (with a sandwich size freezer) in the same footprint as the 2.7cu. ft. Norcold that's coming out of the camper.

I know nothing about the Isotherm model refrigerators and was wondering if anyone here has any experience (real or anecdotal) about Isotherm refrigerators. OR --- rock solid suggestions about Danfoss compressor refrigerators that might offer more interior space in the same size package as a Norcold N-300 series refrigerator.

All constructive recommendations considered. --- Thanks
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED
42 REPLIES 42

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
I don't think there's any argument going on here nor did anyone ask which is better. The OP asked for suggestions and experiences. Why does it seem like discussions here frequently end up with a need to determine a victor?

Very well said and I agree with your analysis of posts here. It wasn't a question of comparison of which way was a better direction to go (for me), rather did anyone have any experience with the Isotherm brand.

Well I got my answer on a few boat forums as Isotherm is mainly marketed to the boating community. They seem to have a fine reputation and, for the most part, people like them. My experience in the buying process has been fantastic, I hope installation and user experience is the same.

The reason I chose Isotherm (rather than other Danfoss compressor models) is that their "drop in replacement" model for my Norcold 2.7 cu. ft. refrigerator is the Isotherm Cruise 130. The Cruise 130 is exactly the same outside dimensions as the Norcold 2.7 cu. ft but gives me 4.6 cu. ft of refrigerator/freezer space. 70% more interior space in the same package size - that was a definite selling point for us. The freezer portion is a bit small (6 liters) but we're OK with that. I spent an extra $115 on the Isotherm Power Saver electronics (my opinion is that it should include this in the base package) which uses a bit more sophisticated computer algorithm to run the compressor more efficiently. Isotherm advertises up to 35% less power usage but forum folks swear it's 50% less. Some folks claim to have measured the draw with the module and claim about 2.5A draw at approximately 50% duty cycle while cruising in hot-humid areas. That would equate to about 30 amps over a 24 hour period. I'd be very happy with that. We'll see after installation.

My Isotherm unit is supposed to be delivered at the end of next week and I don't anticipate more than a couple hours for installation. For the record I paid $955 for the Isotherm Cruise 130 and $115 for the additional power module. Shipping from MA to CA was $100 but no tax for the online purchase. I'll photo-document the installation and my experience and repost here when complete. I'll also measure the draw and we'll see how the efficiency claims hold.

Thanks for all of the comments.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the correct answer to the fridge issue is a compressor fridge / cooler in the backseat of your truck and an ammonia fridge in the TC. That way you can pre-chill your beverages before sticking them in the slow to recover ammonia fridge in the TC.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

I don't get that either. Takes me about 2 minutes with a torpedo level. I have enough suspension compliance it's just run the jacks down and level it. Besides, I like a solid (un wiggling camper)...

Steady there Mr Sidecar, I suspect if one acted more their age, a "wiggling camper" would not be an issue...:B

Lakeside

How does that go....

'If this camper is a rock'in, don't come knock'in'......:p
2015 Backpack SS1500

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

I don't get that either. Takes me about 2 minutes with a torpedo level. I have enough suspension compliance it's just run the jacks down and level it. Besides, I like a solid (un wiggling camper)...

Steady there Mr Sidecar, I suspect if one acted more their age, a "wiggling camper" would not be an issue...:B

Lakeside

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there's any argument going on here nor did anyone ask which is better. The OP asked for suggestions and experiences. Why does it seem like discussions here frequently end up with a need to determine a victor?
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
errante wrote:
No one is going to win this argument. We all have our own opinions, capabilities, and needs, some actually based on fact. The danfoss compressors are certainly more efficient, reliable, and much happier without good leveling. I have owned several on boats and never had a complaint. But to boondock for an extended period in an rv the propane has distinct advantages. Any reefer can be improved with air circulation and additional insulation but the fact is compressor reefers draw more amps. If one parks in a sunny spot in the cool season, and to some extent when it is warmer, and has lots of batteries and solar you are good to go with a compressor. Unfortunately for me, in the summer, that is not always the case. I have 2 batteries and only 200 watts solar because I choose to carry kayaks up top. A compressor fridge would push me to the limit while boondocking. I do have a genset but I don't want to run it regularly. That is my choice. I guess my point is one has to analyze their situation and decide what is right for them.

x 2 different strokes for different folks.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
No one is going to win this argument. We all have our own opinions, capabilities, and needs, some actually based on fact. The danfoss compressors are certainly more efficient, reliable, and much happier without good leveling. I have owned several on boats and never had a complaint. But to boondock for an extended period in an rv the propane has distinct advantages. Any reefer can be improved with air circulation and additional insulation but the fact is compressor reefers draw more amps. If one parks in a sunny spot in the cool season, and to some extent when it is warmer, and has lots of batteries and solar you are good to go with a compressor. Unfortunately for me, in the summer, that is not always the case. I have 2 batteries and only 200 watts solar because I choose to carry kayaks up top. A compressor fridge would push me to the limit while boondocking. I do have a genset but I don't want to run it regularly. That is my choice. I guess my point is one has to analyze their situation and decide what is right for them.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the best of all worlds is to have both. An absorption fridge is great because it uses such a tiny amp draw. However, it isn't unwise to have something like a Dometic cooler fridge that lives in the truck for additional space for stuff, mainly because it chills items quite quickly. It also can be used to freeze water bottles and ice packs, so one can turn off the fridge when on the road if so desired, as with enough ice packs, both the fridge and freezer will hold their temperature at least 24+ hours.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
We can discuss the merits and detractions of both compressor and ammonia fridges all day and never reach a consensus of opinion.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. One big one for me (compressor) is power draw. I camp in the woods so battery power is paramount to me if I'm staying for any length of time. The ammonia fridge wins out in that respect.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Well perhaps on their way out is a overstatement. I do think if newbies or people that are unfamiliar with the advantages of a danfoss compressor were fully informed, a large percentage of them would choose 12 volt over propane. Very good point though, that some camp in areas where solar would be ineffective. Also in cooler areas propane is also a viable option. But still the leveling is a pain in the a@@. Regardless of how well you can make a propane fridge run it can't compete with a compressor fridge in hot weather. JMHO

How is leveling a PITA? I don't know about you but I level my TC so that I can sleep comfortably. Would you really not level your rig if you didn't have a propane fridge?

2015 Backpack SS1500

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Well perhaps on their way out is a overstatement. I do think if newbies or people that are unfamiliar with the advantages of a danfoss compressor were fully informed, a large percentage of them would choose 12 volt over propane. Very good point though, that some camp in areas where solar would be ineffective. Also in cooler areas propane is also a viable option. But still the leveling is a pain in the a@@. Regardless of how well you can make a propane fridge run it can't compete with a compressor fridge in hot weather. JMHO

How is leveling a PITA? I don't know about you but I level my TC so that I can sleep comfortably. Would you really not level your rig if you didn't have a propane fridge?

Yes I get my truck camper level enough for sleeping surely. But when I launch my boat it is a pita for sure. When we want to stop and hike a trail or go shopping or talk or take pictures or anything besides sleeping it is a pita. Thats what I am talking about. There also may be times even when over nighting or just stopping for a nap I would like to not worry about leveling.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:

2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
Holy smokes Batman!!! I just downloaded the specs on a Nova Kool frig. A whole bunch of Nova Kool frigs run with a 2.2 amp draw. Amazing. My Dometic 3-way pulls 8.5 amps on 12 volt DC.

Yep and thats only when the compressor is running. In cool weather maybe only 25 percent duty cycle. In hot weather maybe 50 percent!!!
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0