cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying advice

lsm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I am about about three years away from retirement and at this point I am in the "investigative" stage of my motor home purchase.

I have already read JohnnyT's post of buying an motor home and it was great. I do have a very general question. Never having owned a motor home I pose the following question? (numbers and names are only cited for example purposes)

If I decide my budget is 150k (have not settled on a budget yet) would I be better off buying a new motor home that cost 150k (say a Thor) or would I be better off buying a used Prevost that cost 150k? One will obviously be new and the other might be 20 years old. Thanks for the input.
32 REPLIES 32

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
ISM I am in the exact boat you are in three years for me too. High end used is where I am at, ten years old not lived in and this forum has lots of valuable info. My price range is 70 or lower. Good luck.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Doc15
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and consider Foretravel coaches. Quality built units and you can buy a dandy for less than 150k.
William

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
keep in mind, that a shop will charge more and some times mucho more in labor hours for rear radiators, in most cases.
I mean how much does it cost for just cleaning a rear radiator, that is susceptible to overheating in collecting dirt and debris?

Funny, I only hear this with people with side radiators. But to each their own.

Really now and don't know how much of a gear head or mechanic, you are with some experience, but do you think you could replace any component back there, including the belt in the same amount of time with a rear fan, rather than a side unit? If your answer is yes, then I sure wish I had you along when replacing a fluid tube in a campground one evening, right before dark, starting to rain and the bugs were biting.
Thing is, the so called professionals, do know this, are many times, no better at it than average and sometimes worse. They are very good at charging big bucks for their efforts, however.
We looked seriously at a 2012 Revolution and I opened the back. Do you see a serpentine belt? I see all of the fluid reservoirs in the way, and more rear clip to take apart. I'm 5'8" and I would have to work on a stool to reach in there far enough. I turn a wrench enough to stay on top of things, and I didn't see any real advantage. I can access most of mine underneath, and if necessary pull the bathroom floor with the twist of one latch. There is a lot more to work on besides the belt and most is accessed from the sides or on top.

It was a pretty coach, but not for us. (and who came up with that cord design?)

You do realize that the grille work back there lifts right out in a heart beat with a spring latch on the top of each side.
Don't like the shore power cord entry either on the newer ones, among other things, if that's what you're referring to and our 07 isn't like that at all. In fact, the 07, with the 06 Cat C9 (last of the slobber tubes and no DEF additive) was the last year made, that really had our interest and for a long list of reasons, including availability and price. Our model doesn't carry the American name to pay extra for, anywhere on the Coach, either. With new and newer units in that price range, I'd be looking strong at Entegra.
But, to each their own, as you said....
I think Entegra's trouble they are having with Spartan is where my comment started. Irregardless, your comment that quality starts at the side radiator was arrogant, but that's your line in the sand. So be it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
keep in mind, that a shop will charge more and some times mucho more in labor hours for rear radiators, in most cases.
I mean how much does it cost for just cleaning a rear radiator, that is susceptible to overheating in collecting dirt and debris?

Really now and don't know how much of a gear head or mechanic, you are with some experience, but do you think you could replace any component back there, including the belt in the same amount of time with a rear fan, rather than a side unit? If your answer is yes, then I sure wish I had you along when replacing a fluid tube in a campground one evening, right before dark, starting to rain and the bugs were biting.
Thing is, the so called professionals, do know this, are many times, no better at it than average and sometimes worse. They are very good at charging big bucks for their efforts, however.
We looked seriously at a 2012 Revolution and I opened the back. Do you see a serpentine belt? I see all of the fluid reservoirs in the way, and more rear clip to take apart. I'm 5'8" and I would have to work on a stool to reach in there far enough. I turn a wrench enough to stay on top of things, and I didn't see any real advantage. I can access most of mine underneath, and if necessary pull the bathroom floor with the twist of one latch. There is a lot more to work on besides the belt and most is accessed from the sides or on top.

You do realize that the grille work back there lifts right out in a heart beat with a spring latch on the top of each side.
Don't like the shore power cord entry either on the newer ones, among other things, if that's what you're referring to and our 07 isn't like that at all. In fact, the 07, with the 06 Cat C9 (last of the slobber tubes and no DEF additive) was the last year made, that really had our interest and for a long list of reasons, including availability and price. Our model doesn't carry the American name to pay extra for, anywhere on the Coach, either. With new and newer units in that price range, I'd be looking strong at Entegra.
But, to each their own, as you said....
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Tom/Barb, I may have missed your point too. It's not all about doing your own work, it's about a visual check of the belts and cleanliness of the radiator. You just can't see the belts that well with a rear radiator but that doesn't mean they are not good. It's all in a 'price range'.

Cost does come into the equation if it costs more for maintenance for a rear radiator. If you need a new serpentine belt, what's the difference in cost? I don't know but I can imagine it's more if the radiator has to be removed or if you have to pull the floor of the bedroom, etc. You really don't want mechanics in the coach if you don't have to.

Safe travels,
MM.

Remember I am a Mechanic, ๐Ÿ™‚ When you drop your coach off to the shop. your worries about how difficult it is to work on stop.

I'd have to see documented evidence that the cost of maintenance is more. I just changed my serpentine belt. we are a side radiator, but I still had to remove the A/C pump to get it off.

When it is well documented, how difficult it is to work on a rear radiator coach, wouldn't the purchase price offset the cost of the maintenance ?

Another point, much of the maintenance happens from either the top, or the bottom. changing the oil and filter will be 99% of the owners do it your self, and that is done from the bottom.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb, I may have missed your point too. It's not all about doing your own work, it's about a visual check of the belts and cleanliness of the radiator. You just can't see the belts that well with a rear radiator but that doesn't mean they are not good. It's all in a 'price range'.

Cost does come into the equation if it costs more for maintenance for a rear radiator. If you need a new serpentine belt, what's the difference in cost? I don't know but I can imagine it's more if the radiator has to be removed or if you have to pull the floor of the bedroom, etc. You really don't want mechanics in the coach if you don't have to.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

Well for one thing, the side radiator is the last thing a manufacture will spend the money on and only after every other better selling qualities are installed. The WOW factor always comes first, like a huge TV, with a fireplace under it. This usually creates some tunnel vision and diverts attention away from where a scrupulous buyer should be looking.
If for nothing else and one refuses to lift a finger for doing anything, that's much easier, with being able to see the front of an engine, keep in mind, that a shop will charge more and some times mucho more in labor hours for rear radiators, in most cases.

you missed my point, if you aren't working it, why would you care.?

the coach builder starts with a chassis, it is the first thing they buy.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
lsm wrote:
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I am about about three years away from retirement and at this point I am in the "investigative" stage of my motor home purchase.

I have already read JohnnyT's post of buying an motor home and it was great. I do have a very general question. Never having owned a motor home I pose the following question? (numbers and names are only cited for example purposes)

If I decide my budget is 150k (have not settled on a budget yet) would I be better off buying a new motor home that cost 150k (say a Thor) or would I be better off buying a used Prevost that cost 150k? One will obviously be new and the other might be 20 years old. Thanks for the input.

I'm one to always take quality and engineering over newness and drop back in the years to fit my budget. Doesn't have to be a Prevost conversion to accomplish this either, especially if you want slide rooms that will push hard on a $150K budget.
My advice for seriously seeking out a quality unit is for never firstly going through the front door, like most everyone does. Instead, go to the rear and look for a side radiator. If it has one, then most of the rest will follow with a quality built unit, from the ground up. This most always includes, full body paint, a fiberglas roof..etc...etc...Now, go through the front door and to see if you like it, as well as verifying it's worth.
Simply put, no side radiator, move on and save the time.
If you want to limit yourself primarily to Spartan Chassis, and they have had their share of trouble. Nothing wrong with a Freightliner, that were mostly rear radiator.

Limit yourself to Spartan, you say?
What about Dynomax, Gillig, Magnum, Newell, Peak, TravelRide and maybe Roadmaster. Most sure some or all of those are side radiator.
To each his own, of course, but a rear radiator is a deal breaker for me and again, it's not just because of how and where the radiator is mounted.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
lsm wrote:

I'm one to always take quality and engineering over newness and drop back in the years to fit my budget. Doesn't have to be a Prevost conversion to accomplish this either, especially if you want slide rooms that will push hard on a $150K budget.
My advice for seriously seeking out a quality unit is for never firstly going through the front door, like most everyone does. Instead, go to the rear and look for a side radiator. If it has one, then most of the rest will follow with a quality built unit, from the ground up. This most always includes, full body paint, a fiberglas roof..etc...etc...Now, go through the front door and to see if you like it, as well as verifying it's worth.
When any owner is having their maintenance done by a quality diesel shop, why does it matter where the radiator is?

Well for one thing, the side radiator is the last thing a manufacture will spend the money on and only after every other better selling qualities are installed. The WOW factor always comes first, like a huge TV, with a fireplace under it. This usually creates some tunnel vision and diverts attention away from where a scrupulous buyer should be looking.
If for nothing else and one refuses to lift a finger for doing anything, that's much easier, with being able to see the front of an engine, keep in mind, that a shop will charge more and some times mucho more in labor hours for rear radiators, in most cases.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
lsm wrote:

If you want to limit yourself primarily to Spartan Chassis, and they have had their share of trouble. Nothing wrong with a Freightliner, that were mostly rear radiator.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
lsm wrote:

When any owner is having their maintenance done by a quality diesel shop, why does it matter where the radiator is?