cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom build questions

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I will be building a custom camper and was wondering about few things.
Such as
Which side should water intake faucet be on?

What about grey,black tank?

Do all Rvs have these inlet outlets in same locations?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this Web page. It could be helpful. I have been planning on building a 14 (without shower) to 16 ft camper (with shower) from an enclosed utility trailer and was going to look into it for guidance for the electrical system. Been doing some sketches for the internal layout.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our sewer, water intake and electrical is on the drivers side.

The refrigerator, batteries, battery shut off-s, propane tank and water heater are on the passenger side.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
FWIW...I just bought a 33ft 1989 Wilderness camper and the shore power cord is near the front left corner of the camper. Perhaps the age pre-dates the NEC specs referenced above. I just dragged the camper home Wednesday night and haven't even pulled the cord out. So maybe it is really long?? But I was surprised to see it where it was as I'm used to seeing them near the back of the camper.

It could very well be either one (or perhaps both at the same time). I don't know the history of that particular NEC requirement.

As a practical matter, it's very unlikely that anyone would care where the power cord attaches to a homebuilt RV so long as it's not something completely stupid or unsafe...and maybe not even then. I'm quite sure no campground is going to get out a tape measure and see how many meters from the back the power inlet is before they rent you a site. (Some may not want to deal with a homebuilt RV at all, especially if it looks somewhat untidy or unprofessional, but that's a separate matter entirely.)

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW...I just bought a 33ft 1989 Wilderness camper and the shore power cord is near the front left corner of the camper. Perhaps the age pre-dates the NEC specs referenced above. I just dragged the camper home Wednesday night and haven't even pulled the cord out. So maybe it is really long?? But I was surprised to see it where it was as I'm used to seeing them near the back of the camper.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Generally all utilities are on the driver's side. The NEC basically requires that the electrical inlet be on the left side, towards the back, although it does allow a little leniency for exceptional cases.

NEC does not state, address or "require" as to the location of the shore cord on a travel trailer...

NEC 551.46(E) states "The point of entrance of a power-supply assembly shall be located within 4.5m (15 ft) of the rear, on the left (road) side or at the rear, left of the longitudinal center of the vehicle, within 450mm (18 in.) of the outside wall." (Section 551 deals with RVs and RV parks.)

Three exceptions are listed. First, if there is "only a listed flexible drain system or a side-vent drain system" the electric inlet may be on either side but must be on the same side as the plumbing drain. Second, the connection may be more than 4.5m from the rear so long as the connecting cord's minimum length (elsewhere specified) is correspondingly increased. Third, an RV designed for transporting livestock may have the connection on either side of the front.

Had to look that up..

That is from 2011 NEC book, haven't been doing much electrical work since 2003 or so.. Guess I need to look up a new "book" sometime..

BUT, as for as the OP's setup, IF you really wish to split hairs following those rules, the electrical connection CAN BE ANYWHERE as long as several rules are followed..

Plumbing could be placed on EITHER SIDE which means the electrical COULD ALSO BE PLACED ON EITHER SIDE AS LONG AS IT FOLLOWS THE PLUMBING!

The 15 ft rule can also mean that it (the electrical connection) can be placed ANYWHERE on the same side as the plumbing PROVIDED the length of the cord is INCREASED to allow for the SAME reach as it would at the 15ft mark..

In reality, 15ft gives a lot of leeway in placement, especially on SHORT RVs (18 ft RV could have the electrical connection placed within 3 ft of the front if you like without extending the reach of said cord)..

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Generally all utilities are on the driver's side. The NEC basically requires that the electrical inlet be on the left side, towards the back, although it does allow a little leniency for exceptional cases.

NEC does not state, address or "require" as to the location of the shore cord on a travel trailer...

NEC 551.46(E) states "The point of entrance of a power-supply assembly shall be located within 4.5m (15 ft) of the rear, on the left (road) side or at the rear, left of the longitudinal center of the vehicle, within 450mm (18 in.) of the outside wall." (Section 551 deals with RVs and RV parks.)

Three exceptions are listed. First, if there is "only a listed flexible drain system or a side-vent drain system" the electric inlet may be on either side but must be on the same side as the plumbing drain. Second, the connection may be more than 4.5m from the rear so long as the connecting cord's minimum length (elsewhere specified) is correspondingly increased. Third, an RV designed for transporting livestock may have the connection on either side of the front.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I ran into a camp site once that had a pedestal that was shared between two campers...
Roy Ken

We've also been to SEVERAL like that. Sometimes the hook-ups are in the back, not the drivers side. They, really, can be anywhere. Some older campgrounds that have been remodeled over the years have some strange set-ups because of existing buried electric and sewage lines, and then repositioning the campsite pad.

We were in an Indiana State Park last year where an entire section had been redone. They had electric boxes (all working) scattered all around with no clear defined campsite, as everything was grassed over. We hooked up the camper to one post nearest the camper, and then ran electric lines form a couple other boxes for our griddle and electric skillet.

But normally, campgrounds are designed for hook-ups on the drivers side middle.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran into a camp site once that had a pedestal that was shared between two campers... One guy makes out good and the other guy (which was me) has electric cords, cable TV, and water hose running across his patio haha... No sewer hookup here -Thank goodness... My electric cord didn't fit either but lucky for me I had a 25-foot plan B extension... Later I found out the camp ground had short extensions you could sign for if you needed one... Also the water port only had one spigot. I had to unhook the other guy and add a TEE so I could hook up to water. He left camp before I did so he had to do the same thing unhooking the water to get his line off before leaving... He then actually too off my TEE and laid it on the concrete pad haha... I now have a PLAN B TEE with each port having a ON-OFF lever...

Sure was a strange camp site...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:

The tanks themselves can be anywhere convenient so long as the fill and drain fittings are in an appropriate location. Generally it's preferable to have them somewhat centered so that the weight is more or less equally distributed to both wheels when they're full.

NEC does not state, address or "require" as to the location of the shore cord on a travel trailer..

As far as the OPs question goes, pretty much EVERY modern day "RV" will have all of the "utilities" such as water, sewage, electric, cable, sat, phone on the drivers side of the RV.

Most campgrounds will be setup with most all utilities setup on the drivers side, but you may find some with electric on the passenger side (curb) rear.. But with electric you typically have a 30ft shore power cord so it will often be easy to access either side.

I would recommend putting all "utilities" on the drivers side when setting up, position the RV as close to the sewage connection as possible.. Sewage needs close and your rig needs to be up hill for the sewage to dump properly, everything else can be extended if needed.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
If you are building a custom camper from scratch that you intend to tow around, make sure you can get insurance for it. I called my insurance company (Progressive) and they said they would not insure a home-built camper. But they would insure a reconstructed one with an agreed-upon value. So that's what I'm doing. I bought an old 1989 travel trailer so that I have a good title and will be "modifying" it to suit my needs.

MrWizard
electric, water and dump, all go on drivers side
IF you stick them some place else, you will have trouble in campgrounds
especially those with specific arranged parking

the fixed mounted frame propane is usually on that side also

portable bottles can go where ever you want, batteries, generator same thing, any place , either side
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

The tanks themselves can be anywhere convenient so long as the fill and drain fittings are in an appropriate location. Generally it's preferable to have them somewhat centered so that the weight is more or less equally distributed to both wheels when they're full.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
mine are all on the drivers side, most dump stations are set up that way too.
you might want to go to an RV dealership and check out all the units to help answer your questions post some pictures when you start the build