cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web attacks/intrusions?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
2nd time...when using rvparkreviews.com, clicking on a link to what might be an interesting campground....it turns out to be one of the SUN company locations...my NORTON gives me an alarm of a "web attack" "intrusion attempt"...both times coming from the SUN website. (NORTON says they took care of it, I have to do nothing)

After the first time, I contacted SUN and they said "it is not from us". So here we are again.

Anyone else having this?
15 REPLIES 15

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
PASSIN THRU : I have (as mentioned earlier, I think) NORTON, CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

I run all 3 once a month...(and NORTON gives me "Run Quickscan" often...) Malwarebytes seems to only give me "PUPs" (potentially unwanted programs) which are immediately deleted. Nothing really bad.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You need to run Malware on your computer. I recently started getting mail from Good Sam addressed to my email and sent to my mailbox.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Switch to Linux and never look back. No maleware, no viruses, reliable, lighting fast, and free. Does almost anything people need it to.

The same, two years ago, switched to Ubuntu.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

barth
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Switch to Linux and never look back. No maleware, no viruses, reliable, lighting fast, and free. Does almost anything people need it to.

The same. I've been using Linux Mint for several years now. Light overhead, no virus or malware. Never looked back.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Run the site through a web site checker like https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/. There are others too that you can use.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
2nd time...when using rvparkreviews.com, clicking on a link to what might be an interesting campground....it turns out to be one of the SUN company locations...my NORTON gives me an alarm of a "web attack" "intrusion attempt"...both times coming from the SUN website. (NORTON says they took care of it, I have to do nothing)

After the first time, I contacted SUN and they said "it is not from us". So here we are again.

Anyone else having this?

I've had the same issues using AVG. Maybe we should post the links so all the folks who think it's a false alert can give it a try and and let us know if it's a real virus or not. 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I always felt Norton continuously tries to justify itself, so I don't use it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Norton user or enthusiast but better false positives than missed positives.

Does this happen if you go directly to the Sun site or only when going from RVPARKREVIEWS
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Norton's AV and antimalware is notorious for false positives. And has been known for that for many years. Back 13 years ago when I was a computer consultant, I always steered my clients away from Norton's when I could. Oh, they were great the first few years they were in business, but eventually the bean counters took over and their software got less and less user friendly as they shifted their focus to huge government contracts and away from individual users.

I finally dumped Windows a couple years ago in favor of Linux so I'm out of the AV knowledge loop now, mostly, but what I'd suggest is a concentrated search effort to see what other people are recommending these days with an eye to replacing Nortons.

Last I remember, MalwareBytes was the best out there, with fewer false positives.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What specific threat is it complaining about?

These programs sometimes incorrectly identify benign files or sites as threats, either through random chance (they check files based on some sort of hash, and it's mathematically impossible to avoid all false positives using hashes) or because they are just too picky about some things. I remember once seeing a big alert because some web site sent a corrupt picture file where the dimensions stored in the file did not match the the picture's actual dimensions. That wasn't an attempt to hack or crash my browser; it was just a bad picture that someone put online, presumably without realizing it, or one that had the file data corrupted somewhere along the way.

In case you're curious, a hash as used here is a sort of mathematically derived fingerprint or summary formed by combining down all the data in the file or whatever using some algorithm that produces a number in a fixed range. Typically the hash is a dozen or so bytes long, the exact length varying with the algorithm used. The algorithm is usually designed such that changing anything in the input will generally produce a different hash value (every part of the input contributes to it), and also such that it's very hard or impossible to go backwards and create an input that produces a specific hash value other than by enormous amounts of trial and error. Since the hash is smaller than the input, and so there are fewer possible hash values than inputs, it is a mathematical necessity that more than one input will have the same hash value. (This math principle is named the pigeonhole principle: if you have a greater number of pigeons than pigeonholes, then at least one pigeonhole will have more than one pigeon in it.)

jks75
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:

Anyone else having this?

You may have other issues. There may be addware/spyware on you machine that hijacks the URLs. Although you may see SUN company in the name, the real link may in fact be something else. Hover over the link with the mouse, or right mouse click on the link and inspect the URL. If the issues persist, try using a different browser. Sometimes, Microsoft malware removal tool helps, sometimes spybot search and destroy works when Norton does not pick it up. If your Norton subscription is near the end, you may wish to try Trend Micro. Don't care for McAfee much, it is a hog.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely a false positive on Norton's part...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad