cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did dash air repair alter engine cooling design

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some opinions from those in the know about a dash air conditioning repair that has altered (in my opinion) the cooling design of my Cummins ISL, Spartan Chassis, '07 American Tradition with side radiator.

The cooling system as designed by Spartan consists of a radiator stack with the intercooler radiator on top followed by the engine cooling radiator, followed by the hydraulic cooling radiator (steering & fan motor) and on the bottom of the stack the air conditioning condenser.

The dash air conditioner repair shop determined the existing air conditioning condenser was faulty and in an attempt to save me some money and time decided to add an off the shelf air conditioner condenser to the back side of the cooling radiator stack which covers about 50% of the intercooler radiator and about 50% of the engine cooling radiator. They installed it with about an inch or so space between the stack and the new condenser. So airflow across the radiator stack flows from the fan through the radiator stack and then with about an inch space through the air conditioner condenser.

My concern is the airflow through the intercooler and engine cooling radiator will not be sufficient when the engine is under a heavy load, like climbing a 8% grade at 8000 ft. I called Spartan and explained the new installation to them and they could offer me no opinion as to this new installation saying only that if the cooling system is altered they could not say it will work properly. I was not talking to a cooling expert just a general tech. The dash air shop is telling me they have experience in this and the new install is OK.

I have some pictures but can't see how to attach them. The original condenser was left in place and the Freon lines rerouted to the new condenser. The original condenser is hard to see in the pictures but is the bottom most radiator. Each of the 4 radiators in the stack has the attachment bolts clearly seen in the pictures.

I would really appreciate some opinions on this new installation as it could save me a ton of money and is more efficient for the air conditioner but I do not want to affect the cooling to the engine or intercooler.

Sorry if you've read this post elsewhere, I'm trying to get as much exposure as I can.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV
5 REPLIES 5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be more concerned that the AC will not work well with the added heat from the engine radiators if I read your post correctly. Most diesel PU trucks have three cooling items in series... AC condenser, Charge air cooler, and the engine radiator. An extra set of fins is not going to decrease the air flow enough to affect the engine cooling. My OEM AC condenser is in front of my engine radiators adding heat to them, not behind them.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like changing a design either especially one as important as the cooling system. However the dash air shop elected to go cheap and easy saving me money. Apparently in doing some research and from opinions on other forums this is not necessary a bad thing. The down side of using an OEM condenser is the entire stack may have to be removed to get to the condenser and all the sealant would have to be removed and replaced. The bolts holding the radiator stack are 10 yrs old and may not come out easily. Disturbing all this may lead to other problems.

From my limited use of the coach with this new arrangement I have not seen elevated coolant temps. I'm driving on flat land in Florida with mid 80's temp so not really a good test.

My concern as described above is weather the other items in the radiator stack will received reduced air flow due to the positioning of the off the shelf condenser. I'm going to ask the dash air shop to increase the spacing between the radiator stack and the new condenser from the current 1" to perhaps 3". That should allow more air flow and reduce the heat generated from the condenser from affecting the items on the radiator stack. I'm also considering installing a fan switch that will allow me to bypass the coolant thermostat and turn on the fan when I'm approaching a grade and running in especially hot whether.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
I hate work-arounds. My money is on an OEM replacement mounted in the original position. Just the cost of having nice things.

Ditto
Except if no other resolution possible then work around is allowed
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Read my reply here:
http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.php/topic,7479.0.html
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I hate work-arounds. My money is on an OEM replacement mounted in the original position. Just the cost of having nice things.