cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road condition south of San Felipe Baja

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to southern baja for quick 3-4 week trip next week. Leaving from Yuma and curious about the road condition south of there on the 5. I know its paved and then goes to dirt. Does anyone know how long the dirt section is now? I am trying to decide if it's a long enough stretch to be worth my time to deflate my tires. Also I am assuming if coming from Yuma, the 5 is the quickest way south vs. going over to tecate and down the ?

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Road widening between Sto Tomás and San Telmo on the carratera transpennsular (Mex 1) is finished. One section is now 110 Km/Hr speed limit. Many potholes north of the entronque (junction) at Arturo Grosso's rancho) (all the land around there belongs to him).

On Mex 1 NORTH of the junction, many many many bache's (pot holes). Rained last two days. Potholes are going to become monsters before the bacheros (pot hole filling team) can get to them. Many are through asphalt down to substrate. Tire destroyers.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Well I made it,no flats, and stopped for a beer at Coco's corner. I think it took me about an hour, maybe 45 min. I will time it when I get back. I aired down to 40 rear and 30 front, had the tires filled up at the llantera when arriving at the hwy1. I also took the road from San Ignacio to San Juanico on the north road through the salt flats, that was about 80 miles of dirt, much bigger journey, a lot more remote. Aired down the tires for that journey too.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
My Espanol is also bad. But pics in the videos are worth a thousand words.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Espanol is poco-poco, but it sounds like Treinte y Uno kilometros of really bad stretch at the moment. 20 miles. About 2-3 hours.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
My friends, Mexicanos grumble loudly about the FOUR PLUS HOURS needed between Lazaro Cardenas and Ensenada.

The remaining unfinished stretch of Hwy 5 can easily take that long - this stretch alone. This is under normal circumstances, i.e. no rain or blown tires. Peaceful, less crowded, yes.

Coming from places like Mexicali this shortcut is kind of a natural choice, though not really faster.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The mitigating factor often overlooked is what the weather has done to that road. In Jan - Feb five inches of rain fell closing that road until the vados dried out. Leaving the terreceria rippled and grooved. Fear is a specific word oriented toward causing frequently irrational panic. Caution is advice designed to help to assist.

Mex 5 at Rancho Grosso is certainly passable.

Chofers con traylors use this route when their destination lends itself toward Mexicali. Like it or not the section of Mex 1 between Lazaro Cardenas and north of Ensenada is an official pain-in-the-butt. Last trip that route I tried counting oncoming cars and lost track somewhere above 400. The droves of school busses used to haul campesinos to the fields will number in the dozens and their speed is around 10 mph. My friends, Mexicanos grumble loudly about the FOUR PLUS HOURS needed between Lazaro Cardenas and Ensenada. Oh wait a minute I forgot to mention the dozen miles of torn up detours between Camalu and Sto Tomas. All 10 mph in a sedan.

The gulf route is peaceful. At dusk at Alfonsinas if the gate is shut, shout if you need service of hotel or food.

And have a great trip. The terreceria spans one of the last pristine areas of the peninsula. Stunning scenery

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"Keep in mind that just because someone has the word "mexico" in some form in their handle does not necessarily mean they know what they are talking about on this forum"

Even though they live there and travel that road several times a year. I never criticize the poster only incorrect information. I will be seeing that road AGAIN 3 May. Last visit 3 February. I even drop the tire pressure on the toad from 35 PSI to 20 lbs and slow to 40 kPh. I cannot afford blown tires. I have seen Mexican drivers take that section airborne at 120 kPh.

That all may be so. But the fact is that so often fear and exaggeration is bandied about needlessly. That road is just not that bad. Rough yes but certainly doable in anything from a car to a class A motorhome to tractor trailers. And whether you air down your tires or not is up to you but it is certainly NOT necessary to make that trip.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
You can see & hear the condition of the road in two videos just posted on Youtube by His and Hers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSyxCWu_JE and Boondockabillies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evNjgFvRvA4&list=PL6-r-2BW1T90-Nd_-zIdcJ5RnpTK5cBs1

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Keep in mind that just because someone has the word "mexico" in some form in their handle does not necessarily mean they know what they are talking about on this forum"

Even though they live there and travel that road several times a year. I never criticize the poster only incorrect information. I will be seeing that road AGAIN 3 May. Last visit 3 February. I even drop the tire pressure on the toad from 35 PSI to 20 lbs and slow to 40 kPh. I cannot afford blown tires. I have seen Mexican drivers take that section airborne at 120 kPh.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Either way I am not too worried, **** happens. I do like to air down though, it makes the ride on rough roads soo much better, I was more curious if it was a long enough section to make it worth the extra 30 min. to inflate my tires back up at the end of it.

I will be taking the 5, coming back up north at the end of my trip.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
DieselBurps wrote:
Thanks, sounds like I will be airing down. I am not in a hurry, and it rides like a caddy compared to them pumped up to 80 psi.

I have a diesel and a 400 mile range.

I thought about doing Mexacali east, but started leaning towards San Luis. Still undecided.

WIll take the hwy 5 up and down.

I think some of the things you are hearing are just so much scare tactics. There is no need to air down anything for that road.

I did it last year towing my 33 foot travel trailer with my Dodge PU 2500.

For a good share of the way the road is great no problem. Then you get into the area under construction. Yes it is rough but doable for sure.

I lost no tires or had any other problems. (I run my rear tires at 80psi and the fronts at 65 per the MFG's Rec) Motorhomes and tractor trailers use this route all the time (daily). I never put the truck in 4wheel drive.

Once out of the construction area it is decent gravel road for the most part. There are areas where you will need to go slowly.

And for my book the scenery is by far better on this route than the western one. And San Felipe is cheap and the food great. Just avoid it at US school vacation times.

Keep in mind that just because someone has the word "mexico" in some form in their handle does not necessarily mean they know what they are talking about on this forum.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, sounds like I will be airing down. I am not in a hurry, and it rides like a caddy compared to them pumped up to 80 psi.

I have a diesel and a 400 mile range.

I thought about doing Mexacali east, but started leaning towards San Luis. Still undecided.

WIll take the hwy 5 up and down.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
One single fist size rock exploded a new 235-85x16" Cooper tire on a friend's ALMOST EMPTY BED pickup. I advised him to deflate. He laughed. A new boot "camisa" had to be installed in a llantera in Guerrero Negro. Voiding any potential future warranty claim. Screwed is the word. If he had not had repaired that tire as a spare, onto the bus at Guerrero Negro I would have went.

Last eye-ball to rock view I got in February, there were lots of them in a 20 KM (unfinished) stretch just east of the old Rancho Chapala. Reports are no road work is in progress as of last week.

For friend's tires I recommended 20 psi and 20 mph. This was so stupid, he may return to Mexico, but I will find myself "somewhere else" during his visit.

Five is the preferred route. Take your time going past Mexicali. Lots of maquinas agricolas (tractors and implements) on the road, plus legions of converted school buses hauling laborers to work.

Tecate shouldn't enter the picture.

For legal sake, anything south of San Felipe requires a paid FMM tourist card. Last I heard. Gasoline at Puertecitos and at Alfonsina's. Next gasolinera is at the monumento with Baja California Sur.