cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Yosemite from Boise, ID

JoyNoelle
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading to stay in Yosemite with my 23' trailer on May 20. I am planning on going down I 80 until Reno. At Reno would you stay on I 80 to Sacramento and cut over at Stockton or would you head south at Reno on 395. I don't think the Tioga pass is going to be open so I will have to take 88 through Gardnerville to Jackson.

I am a pretty firm 60 MPH driver so I am not going to get faster time on the interstate but I did't know how the 88 road from Gardnerville to Jackson was.

I am fairly new at driving trailers and am hoping to split this trip up into 2 days. First day will be a long haul to Reno or further. Second day into Yosemite. I have reservations in the park for three nights.
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
95 from Boise through OR to Winnemucca seemed to take forever... and I was in a minivan. Roll before sun-up if you plan to get into Reno area at a decent time. Definitely go over I80 to CA99 and down. 88 is rather steep and winding, doable but rather slow for just passing through.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
80 to Sacramento then Hwy 99 south hwy 140
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Was at a CG on 120 just 12 miles from the northern park entrance last week.

Don't plan on 120 as a route to Yosemite Valley.

You have to use 140 through Mariposa or 41 from Fresno to get to Yosemite Valley.

The damage on the road between CA-120/Crane Flat and Yosemite Valley will NOT be repaired by May, maybe not this year.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I go to Yosemite all the time. I take 140 from 99. 120 from 99 is winding and slow. Tioga Pass(120 from 395) will not open until at least July this year because of the snowpack
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
I have no suggestions for your travel, but just to let you know that in California the speed limit is 55 when towing. A friend of ours was stopped and got a rather large ticket. They might stop out of state towers too.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
120 is closed due to storm damage between Crane Flat and Foresta. So it doesn't matter if Tioga is open - you can't get to the valley that way. Your best bet is to take 80 to 99 south, then pick up 140 through Mariposa.

You might want to give yourself 3 days. I'm used to towing, and I wouldn't want to handle the narrow Yosemite roads and find the campsite in the dark at the end of 2 long days.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H