cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routes

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone I would like to know how to change a route that Good Sams trip planner has me going? I'am heading South on I=5 from the bay area in Calif. heading to Oceanside calif. The planner has me going throught L.A and I don't want to go that way to much traffic. My route would be I-5 to I-210 to I-15 to Hwy 76 that takes me into Oceanside. Thanks for any help I can get. P.S. I'am pulling a 5th wheel 39ft long.
8 REPLIES 8

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank all of you who answer my question.

kandkbrand
Explorer
Explorer
you can just drag the road that the planner has selected for you over to the road you want to take, and the planner will make the changes

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Just take I5 you can't get away from traffic let alone get around LA, stay off the 405.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been seeing more and more signs stating "do not follow your GPS"... and we don't.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Why do you need a trip planner if you know the routes you want to take?

that question is sort of like, since I know start and finish points, why use a trip planner. :s

I use my planner by inserting start and end, then insert waypoints for many reasons. one if the planner doesn't hit a place I want to see, such as Wall Drugs (that is sarcasm) and then enough points along the way to show me mileage and I can spot what is around the distance I want to travel each day. more some days, less for others depending on sightseeing, etc. also which bypass to take at some cities.
and if the route shows roads/areas/cities/etc. I want to avoid,I poke in a waypoint at a different location to force the trip planner to alter it's course.
to blindly follow what a GPS tells you is foolish. once when I had a long stretch down I-85 my gps had me exiting I-85 and going for 20 miles, then taking a left back to I-85. never did understand why that happened.
also traffic patterns change, such as the exit to 17 from 15 at Opal, VA, where in fact they had a sign saying to "not follow GPS directions".
bumpy

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:

I don't know about the OP, but I use them in conjunction with my GPS to alert me to the proximity of and details about the key turns. Not so easy to figure out at ground level when towing a rig in traffic if you are unfamiliar with the route. Also to plan fuel stops, etc.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
in my other planners I just insert a waypoint or more into the trip on the road I want it to use.
bumpy