Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do My Own Maintenance

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks!
Our consideration of moving to a class A diesel continues. We have looked extensively at the Newmar products (Ventana and Dutch Star) and we really like them. One thing I was a bit disappointed in was the Freightliner ISL400 chassis with the radiator position. It seems it would be almost impossible to complete the simplest of maintenance tasks myself (oil changes, oil & fuel filter changes, etc.). I prefer to get comfortable with my rig.

Clearly I can't do transmission work or big jobs, but I really like typical maintenance.

The question is this: Do I have to get a side radiator chassis to change my own oil, or perform other simple tasks?

Thanks guys!

Safe travels!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
7 REPLIES 7

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course you can. The access is just barely any more difficult... Do your own maintenance if you can. You'll save money and know the job was done right.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Check the access to the engine compartment from the trap door in the reared bedroom. In my coach, opening that door gives you good access to everything. You do not need to open that door to do oil and filter changes, and other fluid changes.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bruce_Brown
If it's a Dutch Star it will be a side radiator.

With that said, our last one was a rear radiator, our current one is a side unit. The side unit is easier for sure, the rear isn't bad. On a DP you also have excellent access from inside the coach as well. There is an access door and panel the opens the engine bay up a bunch.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Placement of a radiator does not change the location of the Drain plug or the oil filter.

Getting at it fro the bottom should be as easy on one as the other.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
A good shop can drop the rear rad within an hour for engine access if necessary. The side rads have their bene's but they are also more complex with additional hydraulics and fan control circuitry. I've only owned two rear rad vehicles and I think I have a handle on things, but I'd sure like to try a side rad someday.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No but it's a lot easier with the side. You still have to get under there to change the oil/filter. Now changing the serpentine belt is a lot easier with the side radiator.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to? No. Do you want to? Yes. I pay a local shop to do my regular maintenance. I'm looking at a serious motorcycle lift for my 2013 Honda Goldwing, so for me, the side radiator is the bomb.

I've been told the side radiator is best for routine maintenance, but I'm not able to back that up with empirical evidence.

I know for a fact the rear of the rig isn't very dirty.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R